Prediabetes to Diabetes

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do any of you have any reliable statistics regarding prediabetes eventually developing into diabetes?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Do any of you have any reliable statistics regarding prediabetes eventually developing into diabetes?
Sorry, I don't know. Are you worried? I thought you were doing well.

I'll bump your thread for others to see and hopefully help.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think it would be difficult to provide statistics for this since many of us weren't even told that we were officially prediabetic?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would think it would be difficult to provide statistics for this since many of us weren't even told that we were officially prediabetic?
Yes, me included. Just happened to get mentioned by my new GP!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I reckon I was pre-diabetic for at least 10 years, maybe more, but I have no proof of this. I was already changing my diet to a lower carb one so this could have helped slow down the progression, but as I said - no proof. Like Lynn, it was a new GP who helped me by telling me I had a fatty liver, the old GP knew this, she just didn't think to tell me :rolleyes:

C

catherinecherub

I did read on a website that some people will go on for up 10 years as a pre-diabetic before they are diagnosed as a diabetic but that lifestyle and diet changes mean that some people will carry on as pre-diabetic. Never seen any statistics as I think that so many people are unaware that they are pre-diabetic and are only included in statistics when they have become diabetic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prediabetes/basics/definition/con-20024420

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know, I never was pre-diabetic. I went from non diabetic to diabetic in no more than 12 months. On a sliding scale, I must have been pre-diabetic at some point during that 12 months, but as my blood tests were 12 months apart, I will never know if or when exactly.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to recall a figure of something like 30% going on to diabetes, but that was coming out of Australia. I haven't got the time to ask Dr Google, with any conviction at the moment. I think, if you go back to your first thread, you may find some reference on there, but I could be confused. (It's easily done.)

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
My pre diabetic must have been short term,three years ago i picked up Legionella from Egypt which nearly cost me my life.I was not pre diabetic than or it would have been picked up as I was in hospital for three months.and had every fest before they found out what was wrong.
We moved house two years ago and changed GP and new patient blood tests picked it up.

C

CheeseJunkie

I was reading around this last week, and came across a figure (?where). Something along the lines of 'of those individuals diagnosed as pre-diabetic, n%-m% go on to develop diabetes within 5 years'.

The m-figure was 70%, the n-figure was something like 35%. The range is presumably as different studies in different places came up with different results. Also bear in mind different places (countries) have different definitions of pre-diabetes (US = 5.7% and upwards, UK = 6% and upwards).

(I also spotted a US paper where they were considering the impact of brining down further from 5.7% the definition of pre-diabetes. It seems to be a moveable feast, depending on perceived healthcare impact.)

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://iddt.org/news/news-releases/position-statement-pre-diabetes

I think it's time to stop using this unproven condition to scare people into thinking they may develop diabetes. No proof, no data. Someone is making money from it. If you believe the hype half the population of China has prediabetes! Ridiculous.
Hi EcholsGreat, Well don't know where you facts are coming from, I was diagnosed with Prediabetes, didn't 'scare' me enough although I tried to lose weight within 9 months I was diagnosed as diabetic.

Neil

Reactions: 6 people
C

CheeseJunkie

Goalposts seem to vary by country and over time.

But I will - at the very least - believe I have a condition when I have troubling symptoms of a condition, that are making my life a misery, regardless of what the goalposts say.

So if I'm going to the loo five times a night; if I have constant raging thrush/crotch itching for first time in my life (and scalp itching and general ultra-dry skin problems with hands, feet etc); if my extremities (esp feet) are not feeling at all normal; if I'm feeling so exhausted that it's an effort just to get out of bed (I'm normally fit and sporty), for months on end; if tiny spots and cuts that normally take 2 or 3 days to heal are taking five or six WEEKS, leaving strange dark stains on my skin (including on my face :-( ); if my blood pressure has shot up for no apparent reason; if I'm having trouble doing my work properly because I just can't seem to focus properly with my almost new and very expensive top-of-the-range varifocals; and if patterns of darkened skin starting to appear, on my neck ... If when I'm 54 but I feel like 94 and ready to drop my clogs...

If I have this bunch of symptoms, I expect someone to say 'we think you've got x; and we/you can to y'. I don't expect someone to say 'you're completely normal and don't have anything; go away'.

What I find troubling is that countries appear to determine goalposts not necessarily on any medical basis, or on the basis of long-term costs/benefits to the individual and to society; but on the basis of the short-term healthcare bill i.e. on the basis of wanting to avoid short-term costs, but ignoring the long-term impact on both citizen and country.

Reactions: 4 people

EchoIsGreat

It is true what you say about countries struggling with the cost of a diabetes time bomb. I think anyone presenting all those symptoms you talk about would say it's diabetes not pre.

Reactions: 2 people
C

CheeseJunkie

It is true what you say about countries struggling with the cost of a diabetes time bomb. I think anyone presenting all those symptoms you talk about would say it's diabetes not pre.

The list of diabetes symptoms is one thing.

The diagnosis of diabetes is based on the BG level. Quite another.

C

CheeseJunkie

http://iddt.org/news/news-releases/position-statement-pre-diabetes

I think it's time to stop using this unproven condition to scare people into thinking they may develop diabetes. No proof, no data. Someone is making money from it. If you believe the hype half the population of China has prediabetes! Ridiculous.

Unproven on what basis?
On basis of symptoms? Well I'm afraid I'm one of those people who has had all the diabetes symptoms for months... before being diagnosed 'pre-diabetic'. Are you claiming these are completely unconnected?

On the basis of pre-diabetes proceeding/not proceeding to diabetes? Well the stats are out there.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @CheeseJunkie, I'm with you on this, I think this is a bit of a 'wind up' he doesn't even say whether he is Type1 or 2, no figures, nought.

As for the question on this thread, I believe it would be impossible to gather statistics apart from the fact that certainly most moving through to Type 2 must at sometime been pre diabetic but the period of time must differ for everyone.

Neil:)