Alan22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi

Has anyone got any easy to make recipes such as Chilli con carne or Shepard pie etc. Either in a slow cooker or on the oven.

Also, any ideas for lunches to take too work simple easy things

All ideas much appreciated

Alan

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made a shepherds pie with cauliflower mash the other night, which had 374 calories and 21.5g of carbs per portion.

That is low compared to my pre diabetic recipe which has 578 calories and 67.1g carbs per portion (The only difference is the substitution of spuds for cauliflower)

I would say it is easy, but the prep and cooking time was easily 1 hour +. So not exactly fast.

My recipe would feed 5 people. But not sure it is what you are looking for,

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Thanks for the link KateA

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi Renfield I am looking for traditional meals such as shepherds pie, chilli con carne etc...

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a veggie so use Quorn mince but I've always browned the mince with and onion and a good pile of mushrooms with a bit of soy sauce and a spoon of lazy chillis. Add a bottle/carton of passata and a tin of chopped tomatoes and some chilli powder (I like it hot!), a tin of kidney beans (although I don't know what the carbs are so please check this as last time I made it was pre diabetes diagnosis). I also added a handful of sweet corn but again would need to check the carbs now. Let it simmer for a while to let the flavours release from the chilli and the sauce reduce. You could use fresh chillis instead of the lazy ones but don't leave the seeds in unless you like it spicy.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shepherds pie I normally make with Quorn, onions and mushrooms fried together. Tin of chopped tomatoes and about half a pint of stock (top up as you see fit - comes in as extra gravy if you need it) and let it cook, usually add some mixed herbs or fresh if they are in season. I used to add carrot but would be careful to do so now. For mash I am currently enjoying celeriac and swede, but could eat with broccoli/cauliflower as a side veg rather than potatoes. You can pop the mince in the oven with a veg topping and cheese on top, but it's just as easy to plate up, add the cheese and stick it under the grill til the cheese melts. Could alternatively mix cheese through the veg mash as this should also melt the cheese.