Kitchen cupboards

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If I have to cut out anything else I think I'll just give up :(.....cut carbs very low but now find my BG doesn't like pork or chicken....salmon, eggs and cheese fine and Quorn products as long as they're the lower carb ones.....but any kind of real meat and my numbers jump up...like tonight I had pork loin steaks....went up from 5.1 to 8.9 :(
I wouldn't eat quorn on a bet. What about beef?

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't eat quorn on a bet. What about beef?
Lol...it's not that bad if you smother it with onions ;)....haven't tried beef yet...will get some tomorrow and see how that goes. I also think I need to cut the portion size down to around 30g ...maybe that will make a difference although somehow I don't think it will. Was totally stunned when chicken breast without skin raised my numbers....and assumed the pork had because of gravy I had previously but tonight cut the gravy right back and had an even higher bg than last time I ate it....going up from 5.1 to 8.9 is just not acceptable is it?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Lol...it's not that bad if you smother it with onions ;)....haven't tried beef yet...will get some tomorrow and see how that goes. I also think I need to cut the portion size down to around 30g ...maybe that will make a difference although somehow I don't think it will. Was totally stunned when chicken breast without skin raised my numbers....and assumed the pork had because of gravy I had previously but tonight cut the gravy right back and had an even higher bg than last time I ate it....going up from 5.1 to 8.9 is just not acceptable is it?
That is a bit high, but not bad if it comes down fairly fast. Maybe load up on low carb veg along with the meat. Also, some fat might help.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a bit high, but not bad if it comes down fairly fast. Maybe load up on low carb veg along with the meat. Also, some fat might help.
Thank you.....I will try and add more veg and fat....the fat part goes against all we have been led to believe over the years so is proving harder to accept....especially when I need to lower cholesterol too

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Thank you.....I will try and add more veg and fat....the fat part goes against all we have been led to believe over the years so is proving harder to accept....especially when I need to lower cholesterol too
It needs to be "good" fat, which for me is fat that is not from some kind of factory/chemical process. e.g. butter is good; canola/rape seed oil is bad. A fatty cut of beef is a great source of fat.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It needs to be "good" fat, which for me is fat that is not from some kind of factory/chemical process. e.g. butter is good; canola/rape seed oil is bad. A fatty cut of beef is a great source of fat.
So fat on meat won't add to my bad cholesterol? I am trying to lose a few pounds too so hope it won't affect that too much either

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
So fat on meat won't add to my bad cholesterol? I am trying to lose a few pounds too so hope it won't affect that too much either
It shouldn't, if you avoid carbs. However, sometimes cholesterol levels are a bit wonky during weight loss.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It shouldn't, if you avoid carbs. However, sometimes cholesterol levels are a bit wonky during weight loss.
Thanks so much for your help.....I will try it out and see how it goes...more fat and less carbs....more veg and a little of your amazing results and I will be a happy woman :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Total Cholesterol is stuck at around 8.6. everyone tells me it's high...BUT

I lost 5 stone in 7 months and the few articles that i found say that cholesterol levels will inevitably be elevated during such drastic weight loss within a short space of time.

So we turn to Triglyceride/HDL ratio as a better predictor of C. Heart Disease. By conventional standards, my Triglycerides are borderline high at 1.66...BUT my ratio was about 1.33 which is still considered good. I reintroduced 4 eggs into my diet and within 4 weeks, my HDL improves by 25% and my Triglyceride/HDL ratio is now 1.09.

I cannot say that this works for everyone but my Cardiovascular risk factors improved tremendously in such a short space of time with the consumption of dietary fat in the form of free range eggs.

Reactions: 3 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I held on to all my lovely dried beans and pulses until last week (that's 6 months post diagnosis) but packed them up and gave them away this week, since I feel I want to stick to LCHF as it's working so well. I kept the quinoa, which I seem to be ok on if I eat a little and not often, and will at some point try reintroducing lentils, which I miss a lot, especially lovely puy lentils, sigh.
Flour and dried yeast went of course.
And my emergency tin of Heinz Tomato Soup. I've always had one tin in for days when I needed lots of comfort or felt ill, but that's now right out of the window!
I also had some organic tomato ketchup sweetened with apple juice which I got shot of, but hadn't tried it so I suppose it might have been ok...

Also found a box of shortbread which someone had given me for Christmas - before all this, I probably would have dipped half of it in tea and eaten the lot in two sittings. Now, I don't even fancy it.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Savoury Rice, Orange Juice and normal pasta. I did miss them at first especially the savoury rice as it was my standard go to for a quick meal. I've just bought some Spelt pasta to try see if my system can cope with it as I can eat 2 slices of spelt bread without a spike.

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
I still have some navy beans. I need to figure out how to make baked beans with no ketchup or sugar in them.

Try using tomato puree, with small amounts of finely chopped onion, garlic, paprika and/or Worcester sauce. That's what I do. You'll need to adjust your palate towards a less sweet taste. Good luck.

Adam

Reactions: 7 people