When is a good time to inject Lantus?

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hello. I've just joined and already I've read some interesting comments from other members. I don't have any friends who are diabetic so this is a good way to 'touch base'.
I've been type 1 for aaaaaaages and have been injecting Lantus at bedtime. After the last straw night time hypo recently, I decided to inject it in the morning instead. Probably at breakfast. I'm hoping this will stop the 2.00 ish hypo and give me better control during the day. So far so good.
I've also just started to use an Aviva Expert meter. I had a few teething problems, but things seem to have settled down now. I really want this meter to work for me as it will be good to have 'advice' to rely on. I do need to get my HbA1c down a bit and I'm hoping the new meter will help.
So I would be really interested to hear different views on when to inject Lantus. Does anyone split the dose?
And views on the Aviva Expert would be interesting.
Thanks.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Eldorado and welcome to the forum.

I've only been using the forum for a couple of months but the knowledge and advice here is incredible, I've learned so much in such a short space of time, more than I've ever learned from my medical team in the last 15 years since diagnosis.

Sounds like you might need to adjust your basal dose, I've tagged @noblehead as I know he has a great link that explains basal testing. I did this a few weeks back with a little tweaking have now got my basal spot on by splitting my dose, although I'm on Levemir rather than Lantus, I would assume you would still be able to do this, but hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of Lantus will be along soon.

I've found following LCHF diet has helped me to vastly improve my HBA1c in just 10 weeks, still a way to go but the results so far have been very encouraging and I feel so much healthier. Check out the Low Carb forum if you haven't already, it's not for everyone but still worth a read.

Best of luck

Natalie

Reactions: 3 people

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hey @Eldorado and welcome to the forum.

I've only been using the forum for a couple of months but the knowledge and advice here is incredible, I've learned so much in such a short space of time, more than I've ever learned from my medical team in the last 15 years since diagnosis.

Sounds like you might need to adjust your basal dose, I've tagged @noblehead as I know he has a great link that explains basal testing. I did this a few weeks back with a little tweaking have now got my basal spot on by splitting my dose, although I'm on Levemir rather than Lantus, I would assume you would still be able to do this, but hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of Lantus will be along soon.

I've found following LCHF diet has helped me to vastly improve my HBA1c in just 10 weeks, still a way to go but the results so far have been very encouraging and I feel so much healthier. Check out the Low Carb forum if you haven't already, it's not for everyone but still worth a read.

Best of luck

Natalie
Thanks for the basal testing tip, Natalie. Once I think I'm on the right dose of Lantus (after the change from evening to morning) I will definitely try that.
Best wishes

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks @Natalie1974

@Eldorado, in the past I've injected lantus before bed, early morning and in recent years early evening before changing to a pump, never tried slit-dosing as I found it give me a good 24 coverage, here's is a link that explains how to do a basal test, its for pump users but the explanation on how to conduct the test in different time frames is much the same for those on MDI:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

As for the Aviva Expert, this is a great bolus advisor and was using this meter up until recent times, its best if you can maybe ask your DSN if they'll help you input your information into the meter so that it gives you the correct advise on bolusing, however the manual that comes with the meter is very good so if you ever come unstuck refer to it.

Reactions: 2 people

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you changed your lantus timings over yet? I am planning on moving mine to the morning so that it stops affecting my evening plans. How have you found this change?

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
I split my lantus dose, 7am/pm, I wasn't getting full 24h coverage on single dose. Pretty good now

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I do get the full 24hr. I used to take it at 9pm but have moved to 7am from today. So last night I missed my 9pm dose so that I could take it this morning. Woke up at 5.7 so really pleased as my nurse thought I might be in the teens. Just got to remember my change in routine!!

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I think I do get the full 24hr. I used to take it at 9pm but have moved to 7am from today. So last night I missed my 9pm dose so that I could take it this morning. Woke up at 5.7 so really pleased as my nurse thought I might be in the teens. Just got to remember my change in routine!!
What was your reason for changing the time if you don't mind me asking

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take it immediately before bed each night as I find it an easy way to get into a routine and not forget it. That means sometimes I'll take it earlier/later than other times depending on when I go to bed, but it seems to be working the full 24 hours for me.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Have you changed your lantus timings over yet? I am planning on moving mine to the morning so that it stops affecting my evening plans. How have you found this change?
Yes, I changed over four days ago. The first couple of nights I got up two or three times (bathroom breaks anyway!) to check how things were. For two nights I needed a bit of fast stuff, but last night was a lot better. This morning I took 14 units of Lantus, which I calculate is the right amount for my weight. So fingers crossed for tonight. It's a huge relief to be free from the dreaded night time hypo and I'm getting much better test results during the day. I also feel much more in control generally.
Btw, this change has been in tandem with the Aviva Expert. I'm really pleased with it and am quietly confident it will help me get my HbA1C down a tad.
So far, I think changing the Lantus from evening to morning is the best thing I've done, diabetic-wise. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I thought it always had to be taken at bedtime, fior some reason. A posting on this forum put the idea in my head. I would recommend it, it seems to be working for me anyway.
Of course, you can inject the Lantus any time of day to suit yourself, just as long as you do it the same time every day, but I expect you know that.
Good luck!

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What was your reason for changing the time if you don't mind me asking

I found that as I spend quite a few evenings out, it was become a chore to remember. I would pack it in my case and the worry that I could take the novo rapid by mistake. Whereas now it can stay by my bed and be over and done with first thing in the morning. I feel I can get on with my day knowing I only need my novo with me. Also if I have low carbs for the rest of the day all my injections can be over and done with by 7am.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I found that as I spend quite a few evenings out, it was become a chore to remember. I would pack it in my case and the worry that I could take the novo rapid by mistake. Whereas now it can stay by my bed and be over and done with first thing in the morning. I feel I can get on with my day knowing I only need my novo with me. Also if I have low carbs for the rest of the day all my injections can be over and done with by 7am.
Btw, I hope it's not a stupid question, but how do you manage to stay low carb all day? Are you on a lchf diet?

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Btw, I hope it's not a stupid question, but how do you manage to stay low carb all day? Are you on a lchf diet?

Not really, but I've never been a big carb fan and when I do have carbs it's normally in small portions. I'm in the honeymoon period so that helps... I'm sure I'll need more insulin when it ends though

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Not really, but I've never been a big carb fan and when I do have carbs it's normally in small portions. I'm in the honeymoon period so that helps... I'm sure I'll need more insulin when it ends though
Are you new to the absolute joys of being diabetic?
My honeymoon phase is long gone I'm afraid. 35 years.

katiemc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My dsn changed my lantus from night to morning to stop night time hypos and its the best thing she did. No hypos during the night and far better control during the day too. It's does seem to last near the 24hrs too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With the aviva expert you will get better data if you ensure you enter "pre meal", "post meal" etc.....

Welcome to the forum too!!

lenitas.org

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Lantus around 7pm, helps me to avoid blood spikes early next mornings (dawn phenomenon) which I currently experience.