Chances of child 2 becoming Diabetic?

Asleuk

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I have an 8yr old daughter who is T1, diagnosed Nov 2011, after being in DKA, and stabilised at Great Ormond Street. Thankfully we have excellent control.

My fiancé has a 10yr old from a previous relationship, who is also T1, diagnosed at 18 months. My brother is also T1, diagnosed in his 20's.

We have a 5 month old daughter and I am now wondering what is the realistic likelihood of her developing T1 as well? Anyone have two or more children with T1? Although my daughters bg control is spot on, and is otherwise healthy and happy, I dread the thought of having to see another child prodded and poked, and stuck with needles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

M

mammamia2006

Hi, I would think there is a very high chance of your daughter becoming diabetic. Myself, my brother and sister are all diabetic, as are 2 cousins and my daughter as well. I would definitely keep an eye on her as she gets older and if you are worried about her, visit health visitor/gp asap.

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Genetics play a role in type 1 diabetes — but to a lesser degree than in type 2 diabetes. In general, a child has an increased risk of type 1 diabetes if a parent has the disease. But the risk is still low. Factors that influence this risk include:

The sex of the parent with diabetes. The risk of type 1 diabetes in the general population is 1 percent to 2 percent. If your mother has type 1 diabetes, your risk is 2 percent to 4 percent. If your father has it, your risk is 6 percent to 8 percent.
The age at which the parent developed diabetes. The younger the age, the greater the risk that the child will get the disease.
Type 1 diabetes is one of the most common childhood diseases. It usually begins in puberty. Scientists have identified a gene mutation (SUMO-4) that, when present, increases the risk of this disease in children.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Me and my brother are both type 1, he was diagnosed when he was 2, me when I was 15.............

I have 2 kids and he has 4, no signs of diabetes yet but it can come at any time I suppose.......

@mammamia2006 , I am surprised to hear of all the members of your family who have type 1, apart form me and my brother, there is no one else with type 1 or type 2 going back a fair bit.........

when were you all diagnosed.......?

M

mammamia2006

Me and my brother are both type 1, he was diagnosed when he was 2, me when I was 15.............

I have 2 kids and he has 4, no signs of diabetes yet but it can come at any time I suppose.......

@mammamia2006 , I am surprised to hear of all the members of your family who have type 1, apart form me and my brother, there is no one else with type 1 or type 2 going back a fair bit.........

when were you all diagnosed.......?

Hiya, me, my sister and daughter were all around 3/4yrs old. My brother and cousins were in their teens.

My daughters Gran is type 1 and her grandpa was type 2 so think there was a greater chance for her becoming diabetic.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Finding a preventative treatment would be a god send for situations like that...........

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
hi,I'm completely posting this in the wrong place, I hope you don't mind @Asleuk. My husband of 23 has just been diagnosed type one after showing symptoms for the past month. We've gone back along the family tree as far as we can and no other relative has type 1. I don't suppose anyone knows the odds of our child having type 1? We want to start trying for a family and will no matter what, I'm just curious :) thanks x