Chia seeds

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if I have posted this in the right place or not but hope so.

I have seen that many of you use Chia seeds in your diet and have looked into the benefits of eating them. I wondered if any of you could give me some ideas how you use them in your daily menus please :) Not entirely sure if they make any difference to BG levels but willing to try anything that could help

Reactions: 4 people

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My favourite is a halloumi and sweet potato salad with chia seeds sprinkled
For those of you in the North West, Booths supermarkets have just introduced a range of pre sliced loaves with unusual contents. One of them is chia seed. I've only seen them in the larger branches.

Margaretr

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try to add some colour in.. I made a mix last week without the berries (for colour) and hubby wouldn't eat cos it looked like frog spawn....this week with berries.. No problem!!

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I add a small quantity of them into my mix of sesame flour and milled flax seed when I make savoury microwave muffins. I've also tried them sprinkled on yoghurt and berries, but have to agree agree with @donnellysdogs' husband - I don't much like the dark colour or look of them this way! :D:eek: I've not yet found the lighter coloured seeds. My niece makes her own seed type bread and I think she said that she uses chia seeds in that.

I can't say that I've noticed any improvement in glucose levels that I could associated with them though. But I would carry on using them as they are full of good healthy "stuff". :p

Robbity

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
As a T1 I know that a chia pud has great stabilty with my levels. My stomach has the best improvement. I'm sure the flax and chia seeds are beneficial to my cholesterol too.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I add a small quantity of them into my mix of sesame flour and milled flax seed when I make savoury microwave muffins. I've also tried them sprinkled on yoghurt and berries, but have to agree agree with @donnellysdogs' husband - I don't much like the dark colour or look of them this way! :D:eek: I've not yet found the lighter coloured seeds. My niece makes her own seed type bread and I think she said that she uses chia seeds in that.

I can't say that I've noticed any improvement in glucose levels that I could associated with them though. But I would carry on using them as they are full of good healthy "stuff". :p

Robbity
They seem to do the white ones a Asda and Tesco. They do seem to be something of a ''super food''...full of many things we need :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make mine up in coffee and cocoa with peanut butter to form a gel... bout 10g / 100mls of coffee.
I find if I sprinkle on top of yog, they expand pretty quick and firm up already pretty firm yog...
I really like them

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
For those that eat chia and flax seeds though... Besides liking them what differences have they made to your health?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They seem to do the white ones a Asda and Tesco.

Thanks for the heads up, @Gezzabelle - I do usually check Tesco's online but for some reason seem to have missed them... Now I can ad them to the grocery shopping list instead of having to pay out of my own pocket for them! :D:D

I quite like the look of those chia pudding recipes - I sometimes do similar but simpler mixes with ground nuts, cocoa, etc.

Robbity

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those that eat chia and flax seeds though... Besides liking them what differences have they made to your health?

I really don't know.

I started taking them to help with my solid stools... and it really didn't seem to have any effect on them at all... have taken them as part of the coffee cocoa nutbutter thing they seem to have replaced yog, nuts and things for breakfast as I really like 'em.

If they help my BG. Cholesterol / digestive tract in the long term that will be a bonus.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Not sure how you could measure it DD, I eat flaxseeds (together with pumpkin & sunflower seeds) nearly everyday but can't say if these alone have made a great difference health-wise.

Btw @Robbity, I find the seeds in Tesco's to be extremely expensive for the amount you get, better to wait until Holland & Barrtett have a Buy One Get One Half Price sale on, you get a lot more seeds for your money.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know my stomach is now the best its been for years. I think thats more the flaxseed though! Haven't seen imorovements in cholesterol due to them though.
Like them because although I have a small appetite they do add some bulk in to some foods which my hubby finds fills him up!!

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
i filled a large wine glass with a mix of 4 tsp dark chia, 200ml almond milk, 4 chopped up strawberries plus dbl cream topped with walnuts (tsp splenda to sweeten), left overnight in fridge, sets like tapioca, only 4g carb with the extras about 10g max. enjoyable filling breakfast. low carb no massive spikes, antioxidant and great for energy.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i filled a large wine glass with a mix of 4 tsp dark chia, 200ml almond milk, 4 chopped up strawberries plus dbl cream topped with walnuts (tsp splenda to sweeten), left overnight in fridge, sets like tapioca, only 4g carb with the extras about 10g max. enjoyable filling breakfast. low carb no massive spikes, antioxidant and great for energy.

What no wine?

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I buy chia and flaxseed from Linwoods food on line,no delivery cost,and they add a few treats.
I make my own breakfast cereal with nuts done in the grinder,dried porridge oats flaxseed and chia.full cream milk.
My digestion and bowels have been much better.
I dont get a cholestrerol test until October so I dont know about that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I buy chia and flaxseed from Linwoods food on line,no delivery cost,and they add a few treats.
I make my own breakfast cereal with nuts done in the grinder,dried porridge oats flaxseed and chia.full cream milk.
My digestion and bowels have been much better.
I dont get a cholestrerol test until October so I dont know about that.

Thats sounds a lovely breakfast.. Someting I would enjoy for pudding!! Can't eat porridge oats though... Strawberries are coming on good now though, perhaps with some yogurt and desicated coconut!! Love my own ground nuts!! Thanks for the inspiration. Roll on ripe stawberries to add!!