12 days in, I think I am doing well!

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am feeling quite optiistic at the minute..... Here's why

I went to the doctor as Ithought I had Type 2, and the doc confirmed it.

15/05/15
Glucose in Urine
BG 20.7
Hba1c 105 (BG in blood 22.2)

was told by the doc "Don't drink coke" but little else.

I followed the "Healthy Plate for 1 week as I had another BG test, so I wanted to give it a try

22/05/15
BG 15.9

Didn't think the Healthy plate was working so decided to low carb. I didn't want to go drastically low straight away, so currently at around 130g carbs, and aim to work that down to approx 100g

24/05/15

Started having blurred vision, but based on another post, I was assured this was my blood sugar lowering. It will be short term, and a good sign! (had eyes checked on 16/05/15, and eyes are healthy!)

26/05/15

Saw the diabetic doctor about blurred vision, and they confirmed it was my blood sugar lowering(reassuring), but told me I was silly to low carb and test my own blood sugar. All I need to do is use low GI products, and if my Hba1c is still low in three months, then she can easily give me meds to control it. She looked a little incredulous, when I said I didn't want medication!

My blood testing kit arrived(SD Codefree), and it was roughly 2 hours after I ate, so I tested my blood sugar and got a 8.8

It was a while between meals(7 hours between previous food and dinner, busy day!) and tested at 5.2! (could be a time coincedence)

2 hours after dinner it was 8.9 ( chicken thighs with my homemade marinade, peas, carrots, sweetcorn, and some oven chips) (Tested my non diabetic wife for comparison and she went from 5.1 before dinner to 5.8 after)

27/05/15

This morning, I got up showered and tested my blood sugar and got a 7.5.

I had a bowl of rice crispies, as I want to test the effect of cereal

But overall, although just a few limited tests, but it seem pretty darn good progress for 12 days? Or am I missing something?

Ren

Reactions: 4 people

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The rice crispies were a bust.

After 2 hours my BG was 14.3, so that's the last bowl I will be having of them!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep up the good work. It's a voyage of discovery!
2 hours after dinner it was 8.9 ( chicken thighs with my homemade marinade, peas, carrots, sweetcorn, and some oven chips)
Apart from the chicken I couldn't eat any of that since I would certainly be scoring fat 8s and 9s. What's in the marinade?
Your meter will reveal all, so carry on testing and ask if you don't understand any of the results. Easy does it.

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The marinade was fairly simple.

40ml ketchup
20ml hp sauce
2g hot chilli powder
1.5g salt
1.5g black pepper
Garlic
30g olive oil

That amount covered 8 thighs. 41 calories 1.7g carbs per thigh

Tasted amazing as well

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds great yum.
When you get your carbs down tight you may well throw the ketchup & HP bottles out or consign them to your wife's side of the cupboard. We have a lot of His'n'Hers stuff,

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm not sure, but I think I've seen 'reduced sugar' ketchup on the supermarket shelves. If I'm right, you might be able to hang on to the ketchup, don't know about the HP sauce though.

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure, but I think I've seen 'reduced sugar' ketchup on the supermarket shelves. If I'm right, you might be able to hang on to the ketchup, don't know about the HP sauce though.

You can get reduced salt and sugar HP. Tastes a smidge different, and slightly lighter in colour, but virtually the same

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
There you go, marinade saved:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That reduction in BG in only 12 days is awesome.
Congratulations!
:D

How are you feeling? Any lethargy, tiredness, aches and pains?

Lots of people feel fine, but sometimes when we cut the carbs quickly it takes some time to cclimatise.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great job for just 12 days! Its a long road to discovering what foods work with your body and which don't. Test all your foods and write results down, before long you will find what to avoid and what can be eaten freely.

We are all different, some forum members are lucky and can eat cereal or bread without too big of a raise in BG levels, some of us can't :-(

Keep up the good work and aim for medication free for as long as you can :)

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That reduction in BG in only 12 days is awesome.
Congratulations!
:D

How are you feeling? Any lethargy, tiredness, aches and pains?

Lots of people feel fine, but sometimes when we cut the carbs quickly it takes some time to cclimatise.

On the whole feeling good.

Less lethargic than I was pre diagnosis, no real aches or pains. I have been having a little bit of blurred vision, affecting my short distances since i started to low carb. My eyesight is usually perfect, so a little disconcerting, but I saw the doc and she said that was to be expected.

I did have a wobble today, which i posted here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/possible-hypo.77793/ but i think that might have been a bad start this morning.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You are doing very well. I used to test like crazy, then just cut out virtually all sugar, grains, rice, and starchy stuff. I found cereal for breakfast really spiked my blood glucose level. I had though bran flakes would be healthy, but they were really bad for my blood glucose. Oatmeal as well.

I subsequently also cut out virtually all factory processed food, like veg/grain oil, ketchup, and fake sugar.

Lately I have found I can have a decent amount of sweet potato with dinner without much of a spike.

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Hi Renfield,
Well done, it sounds as if you're heading in the right direction. Keep testing and finding out what spikes you.
Some people on this site are more sensitive to carbs than others - that's their biochemistry, not them being awkward.
For myself, I am passing on the ketchup and HP as they contain a lot of sugar (especially the brown sauce).
I had several moments of sorrow on realising that jars of horseradish and mint sauce have sugar as the most abundant ingredient after water.
Some jars of pasta sauce contain a lot of added sugar.
I have removed these from my diet as psychological boundary lines.

Tomato puree makes a good basic for marinade.
You will probably become attuned to the way that the food industry tries to flog us carbs big time.

Best wishes
Adam

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes Heinz do a reduced salt and sugar tomato ketchup

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing well. I would love to compare BS results with my hubby but hes scared of needles. Keep testing your BS and you will find out what your body can tolerate.