Continued acne and a goat!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
A few of you may remember that I having been this ongoing battle with adult onset acne. It's worse on my neck, back and chest but also breakouts on my face around the time of my period. I've tried creams, long term antibiotics, including Roaccutane last year - unfortunately it sent my blood sugars sky high (probably stressed out at taking them) so I had to stop. Well now I'm turning to the humble goat. TBH I'm not thoroughly convinced but I'm willing to try it. They're a company 30 miles down the road for us called The Chuckling Goat (that's the website too) and they do seem to be having quite amazing results with stuff called Kefir which they add to the goats milk. They've even used the kefir to heal a leg ulcer and Aberystwyth Uni and WG are working with them to research it further. Meant to be excellent for eczema and psoriasis too. Wish me luck because it's a 21 day course and it's meant to taste fowl!!!!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck, just make sure you have read everything you can on it. But as you say you're willing to try it.
ps I do like goats, such funny little creatures, especially the youngsters.

All the best RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks RRB. Nothing bad in it so I'm thinking it's worth a go and won't do any harm (unlike GP pills which play havoc with my insides!) Hope you're having a good Easter :)

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Riri it looks really interesting! I have had an ongoing struggle with acne! I have tried everything including roaccutane which I think gave me diabetes in the first place. How is the chuckling goat so far? Did you get the break out pack or the one for sensitive skin?

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The lchf way of eating is supose to help acne.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
LCHF = low carb / high fat (diet)

Use search and you'll see hundreds of posts on the topic ..... HUNDREDS

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds interesting but you have to be very self-disciplined. I don't like the red marks that spots leave too. Please let me know if you have a way of fading these!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I do fairly LCHF (not 30-40g throug). I am preparing to take the 21 days goats milk with the Kefir not the actual face products at the moment, When I went to order there was over a 6 week wait and because I'm off to Greece next week it wouldn't have been good timing for the milk to arrive just before or during my hols (get back to curdled yogurt on the doorstep!). Anyway upshot is I'm going to order when I get back at the start of June as I have a good few months at home to be able to take it properly. I'll keep you posted.

D

Deleted member 182154

Riri,

I don't tell many people this so keep it to yourself ok? *whispers* I used to breed & show goats. Yes it's true - and there are many and varied health benefits from goatly products. While attending a show in Castledawson a very wise Scottish breeder told me she was 78...but No!! Said I. You look years younger! Yes her secret was bathing her face in the cream from her milkers' am product.

On a sadder note tho she smelt something awful...

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riri! Have you tried the kafir yet? I have ordered some. It's the horrible marks the spots leave which I don't like.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hia Abby, no. We're just back from 2 weeks in Greece but tomorrow my husband is driving to the farm to get it as they're having an open day (I'm back to work!!). Well done on the order. Let's keep in touch on this :)

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow lucky you! How was Greece? Thanks! There is no harm in trying it. Did you tell the doctor about your acne? I am going to the hospital tomorrow to see the diabetic team. I am going to mention it to them. I wish I could see the dermatologist.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Greece was fab :) Yes I did and fair play GP referred me to dermatologist after trying a lot of antibiotics (they worked a bit but my stomach couldn't tolerate them long term). Dermatologist said that roaccutane was the only thing left - again tried it but my diabetes went berserk so I felt that was more important!! No one sure if it is linked to diabetes or hormonal pre menopause. This is the first time that the sun has helped it a bit in Grecee - the sun normally aggravates my acne!!!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Has your supply arrived Abby? I'm on about day 14 of 21 now. I tolerate it easily and don't mind the taste at all (like sharp yogurt and goats cheese so that helps). I took a picture of the spots on my back before I started and my husband is convinced it's making a difference. I've had these spots on my back and shoulder for 3/4 years so they're not going to disappear magically overnight so I'm continuing with it and going to get a second course when I do down to their second open day on 26 June. I certainly think it's improving my IBS flare ups and my face is definitely more spot free and, dare I say it, glowing.

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riri mine arrived yesterday with a free soap but it's not the acne one so don't think I will use it on my face. That's such good news that it's working for you! The taste is okay! It's quite fizzy! Do you just drink a 1/3 of it a day? Do you think the acne soap and lotion would be good too? That's great you have ordered your second lot! Keep me updated!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
As my acne is more or my back I haven't got the acne soap. My face is a different problem - like sensitive itchy skin which flares up in the sun with bumps more than spots and is easily irritated. I got the senstaive skin pack but found The soap irritated my face, so I'm back to using Dermalogica Ultracalm which is the only thing that works for me. The soap I'm using In The shower now but I'm not sure if it's helping with the acne. The acne kit will be stronger - it would be fine I would think providing you don't have sensative skin as well. Keep me posted too. Yes it's fizzy and its gets fizzyer - not quite like prosecco fizzy though (unfortunately!!) :)

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sorry for joining this conversation late but just reading your thread. Have you ever looked at Caroline Hirons' website? She's an amazing skincare expert who has a lot of advice and product suggestions. My skin has really cleared up since following her recommended skincare regime. If you're after things to help clear the old scars/marks I would try some toners with the 'good' acids like salicylic and glycolic acids and then using a nice retinol cream. You dont want anything too harsh on your already stressed skin!
Hope your acne is getting better!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Riri I don't think I will get the soap. I have so many products already for the skin and haven't used them. My doctor has now put me on spironolactone. Not sure if that is any good. Sunshine, thanks for your post. I went on Caroline Hirons website but couldn't find her products on it. Please could you send me a link.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Will you take that and the goats milk? I haven't heard of that one and I tried 3 different tablets from the doctor!