Study shows benefits of training on low carbs

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/study-shows-benefits-of-training-on-low-carbs/13346.html

A new study from Martin Gibala's group at McMaster University, published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25811132) offers some interesting new twists. The protocol involved two weeks of twice-a-day, three-times-a-week interval workouts; each workout was 5 x 4:00 cycling at 60% of peak power with 2:00 rest. The 18 subjects were divided into two groups. During the three hours between the two workouts, one group fully replenished its carb stores (they took in 195 grams of carb), while the other didn't (they took in only 17 grams of carb). That was the only difference between the two groups: the workouts remained identical.

After two weeks, the train-low group had improved its performance on a ~20-minute time trial by 16 percent, while the train-high group had improved by only 8 percent – the first demonstration of enhanced performance in full-body exercise from a train-low protocol. Interestingly, the train-low group didn't fare significantly better in a repeated-sprint test, which may suggest that train-low is most effective for endurance tasks (not surprising if it boosts fat-burning).

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for posting that!
I have read similar reports about carb overloading before, during and after physical exercise, especially strenuous types of sport professionals.
I got interested in this type of study when I noticed teenagers getting tired and thirsty replenishing with high glucose drinks and it didn't have a lasting effect. I asked what they had for pre meals before sport, it was always something like a sandwich or pasta or rice.
There is evidence of repercussions of professional sportsmen and sportsmen who get diabetes and Hypoglycaemia after retiring, because of the overuse and the replenishing of carbs afterwards.
I cannot do the science bit, but prolonged glucose and carbohydrates filling is counter productive as it's making the hormone balance, go out of kilter!
At my local football club, sports drinks and supplements containing glucose are gradually getting replaced by just water. And the pre meal, is usually chicken with rice, but no more pasta! A salad and lean meats is also offered.
Let me know if you have found anything similar, I cannot do the linking bit, thanks!

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting that!
I have read similar reports about carb overloading before, during and after physical exercise, especially strenuous types of sport professionals.
I got interested in this type of study when I noticed teenagers getting tired and thirsty replenishing with high glucose drinks and it didn't have a lasting effect. I asked what they had for pre meals before sport, it was always something like a sandwich or pasta or rice.
There is evidence of repercussions of professional sportsmen and sportsmen who get diabetes and Hypoglycaemia after retiring, because of the overuse and the replenishing of carbs afterwards.
I cannot do the science bit, but prolonged glucose and carbohydrates filling is counter productive as it's making the hormone balance, go out of kilter!
At my local football club, sports drinks and supplements containing glucose are gradually getting replaced by just water. And the pre meal, is usually chicken with rice, but no more pasta! A salad and lean meats is also offered.
Let me know if you have found anything similar, I cannot do the linking bit, thanks!
Hola nosher

Have a read of volek and phinney's art and science of low carbohydrate performance. They also authored new atkins new you with Dr. Wester man. Also NOaks. Loads of seminars on you tube as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a long run or walk, by which I mean 24km mountain running or walking 40 miles Keswick to Barrow, not a 5km parkrun, I find a bottle of chocolate milk hits the mark - UHT milk means I can leave in my car for weeks until I need it. Not low carbohydrate, but lower than most "sports drinks".

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@nosher8355 and @copepod There was an exercise done on one of the BBC programmes about food - I think it was an energy drink feature - and they did various tests after teams played football and they got the best results from milk.

I'm coming up to the Lakes in a couple of weeks and have been fantasising about being in Keswick all day today as I've worked. And if I want to be fit enough to do some walking, I'd best hit the exercise bike. I don't think there are enough hours in the day to get me fit enough to walk 40 miles! :***:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@nosher8355 and @copepod There was an exercise done on one of the BBC programmes about food - I think it was an energy drink feature - and they did various tests after teams played football and they got the best results from milk.

I'm coming up to the Lakes in a couple of weeks and have been fantasising about being in Keswick all day today as I've worked. And if I want to be fit enough to do some walking, I'd best hit the exercise bike. I don't think there are enough hours in the day to get me fit enough to walk 40 miles! :***:
I didn't train especially for K2B 40 miles - just walked, cycled, orienteered and did parkruns when possible. Living in a hilly city helped. I walked most parts, but ran some downhills. Had to queue for toilets and food. Took 13 hrs & 13 mins.

From Keswick, nicest easy peak is Cat Bells.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I'm coming up to the Lakes in a couple of weeks and have been fantasising about being in Keswick all day today as I've worked. And if I want to be fit enough to do some walking, I'd best hit the exercise bike. I don't think there are enough hours in the day to get me fit enough to walk 40 miles!

You have given me so much to write!
First, I just love the area around Keswick, been there many times. Applethwaite, Portinscale and around Derwent water. Got to love Skiddaw!
Walking is brilliant in the lakes, you just can't bored, can you!
I do think that milk for normal kids is fine as long as it suits the child. Milk can be heavy and that is before exercise. For doing exercise and needing to replenish or replace fluids, I don't believe anything other than water is as beneficial. Hydration or rehydration is literally using water to feed your system. It does literally mean that! No matter what the advertising says.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I run on water. Sunday was a steady13 miler on water. No breakfast just what I am used to. If I am running in the evening then I just eat as normal during the day.I had a read of the article and it wasn't a yes or no either way. If

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can't do 5 x 4 minutes without a snack, that's a problem in itself, who on earth needs 195g carbs for 20 minutes cycling?

I'd put that experiment into the absolutely pointless bucket.

If you're going to experiment at least make it a meaningful experiment

Reactions: 6 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
From Keswick, nicest easy peak is Cat Bells.
Hearing that name reminds me of my MiL (just turnd 90:cool:) went there for a school camp , just before outbreak of WW2, from Manchester.