diabetes and eyes

Dylan123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I have been type one diabetics for 41 years and have seen many changes . My vision has deteriorated and I am now partially sighted . I have varifocal lenses in
my glasses and these need to be changes regularly . I understand the eye test is free but feel annoyed that the glasses themselves cannot also be free for diabetics. As. It is I cannot keep affording to get new glasses and this in itself can also affect my eye sight so i feel I am on a slow slope to being blind. I work full time and work with computers so this doesn't help . I pay my taxes and national insurance and this really annoys me . If I were a smoker or a drinker or taking drugs they would get treatment under the nhs so why carny I have a pair of glasses to help my vision ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you minimise swings in levels then you may well finf that this wil minimise the need for changing glassses..

However you can't get free glasses or free dentistry so we have to put up with it.

We do get free prescriptions and some T1's are very lucky to get £3000 + plus insulin pumps, let aline all the consumables that have to be paid for by the NHS..

The NHS is broke... So why should it give free glasses to diabetics as well when there are so many of us nowadays.

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Have you checked the price of specs on-line? There are plenty of sites that are much cheaper than an optician. I had a few pairs over the years, either send your current frames and prescription or choose new frames if you wish, it worked well for me. Since I had cataract surgery I just buy cheap, off the shelf 'readers'.

Dylan123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you minimise swings in levels then you may well finf that this wil minimise the need for changing glassses..

However you can't get free glasses or free dentistry so we have to put up with it.

We do get free prescriptions and some T1's are very lucky to get £3000 + plus insulin pumps, let aline all the consumables that have to be paid for by the NHS..

The NHS is broke... So why should it give free glasses to diabetics as well when there are so many of us nowadays.

Dylan123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My diabetes is stable and the reduction in my sight is due to me having diabetes for 41 years ! I have had laser treatment and cataracts in both eyes , I guess the point I was trying to make was although I did not put this in plain English was if I could get glasses on the nhs this would help me see better and save my sight meaning I can work and this would contribute to the nhs and also mean no additional health costs to the nhs if I do go blind in the future ! I have never claimed benefits throughout my life and feel that help in this area would be good .