Very strange BG readings!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before dinner tonight I was 6.1. had a 3-egg omelette and green salad, with beetroot and 1 slice Hovis Seed Sensations bread. On hour later was 5.9. but 2 hours later I was 4.1 so tested again immediately. Used other hand and it was 3.9, tested original hand again, different finger, 3.8. I feel ok, no worse than usual, so left if 5 mins and just tested again and it's 4.00.
Why has it gone so low? Will test again in half hour but this is unusual, especially after a slice of bread!

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Exercise, insulin on board, alcohol, wind direction!!! Diabetes has a knack of throwing curveball our way

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is now 3.4 so am going to have an Irish Berry yogurt

Last edited by a moderator:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back up to 5.1, can go to bed happy now!

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3.8 - 4.5 seems the norm for me on an empty tummy. Albeit with no medication to factor in. So long as you feel ok then I wouldn't worry. In terms of damage 5.1 is as harmless as 3.6 I'm sure too. Sound like a job well done!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3.8 - 4.5 seems the norm for me on an empty tummy. Albeit with no medication to factor in. So long as you feel ok then I wouldn't worry. In terms of damage 5.1 is as harmless as 3.6 I'm sure too. Sound like a job well done!

The 3s and 4s were after dinner, before eating it was 6.1.
Tested again around 5am and it was 7 point something, dawn phenomenon so back to normal ;)

Reactions: 2 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah OK! But all good now!!

And good practice for when your bs is there all the time!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar experience the other night but my readings were 3.6 before dinner. I couldn't believe it so I tested on another finger and it was still 3.6 so I waited 10 minutes and it had gone down to 2.9. I decided to eat my dinner before it went any lower.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had a similar experience the other night but my readings were 3.6 before dinner. I couldn't believe it so I tested on another finger and it was still 3.6 so I waited 10 minutes and it had gone down to 2.9. I decided to eat my dinner before it went any lower.
Hi,

Has that been the only time you have been that low?
When did you last eat before that meal?
Do you get symptoms of a hypo?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the past it has not been uncommon for me to get readings of 3.7 and that is usually the point where I will start shaking slightly but this time there was nothing, I felt completely fine so it was a bit unsettling for that reason alone. I had a snack about 4 hours before dinner, just some cheese. I have been eating LCHF and I have noticed I am now at the stage where I can have a little treat and within a couple of hours by BG is back to 5.5.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If the readings are no lower than the 3.7, then that's fine.

But keep a watch out for the low readings.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I definately will. It's strange because you get your BG under control but then you have to watch out for low numbers instead of high.