Off Meds, but need to increase cholesterol

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After getting my HBA1C back of 35 the nurse has suggested that I stop taking the metformin and come back in 3 months and see what the result is. I have been diagnosed 3 months and have reduced my HBA1C from 68 by doing the LCHF thing, I'm not convinced how effective the metformin was in doing anything compared to the LCHF! So that's all well and good!

However she has said that I have to raise my HDL cholesterol, what can I do whilst keeping to a LCHF diet? The help-sheet she gave me is the opposite of LCHF!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
LCHF itself should increase HDL and the good big fluffy portion of LDL particles, whilst reducing triglycerides and the bad small dense LDL. All of this may mean your total cholesterol not changing much but it's the ratios that count.

Do you know what your lipid profile results are?

Last edited by a moderator:

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No to them.

I will continue as I was then for another 3 months and see what the results come back as in August

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hazelnuts, macadamia nuts and almonds are all high in monounsats which will increase your HDL

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So will avocado and olives...

Depends if you are on statins though...??? As my hubbies HDL stayed same on statins despite eating the walnuts, chia, flaxseed, oily fish, svocados and olives and the best olive oil... My HDL went up a lot but I'm sure the stains kept my hubbies HDL low.

He is also now taking an omega 3 supplement to try and increase it.. Haven't got a clue whether it will or not..

Always ask for a printout of your blood tests so you can refer to them when sat at home in peace and quiet. They can't refuse.

Some GPs are already allowing patients to view blood test results online. Some are still being pathetic about doing this though....

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let me preface my comment with two caveats. Firstly, I am not a lipidologist/medical professional of any sort & secondly, this may not work for everyone..

Eggs. I take 4 a day. You may want to take 2.

From my personal lipid profile over the last 4 weeks, I have raised my HDL from 1.2 to 1.52 & the only dietary variation is the re-introduction of free range eggs into my diet.

Hope that works for you should you decide to try it. And if possible, if you do start consuming eggs everyday, try to get your lipid profile retested within 4 weeks. You should get a fairly good idea of how eggs affect you within that time frame.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I already eat lots of eggs, have been having lots of flaxseed too!

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I already eat lots of eggs, have been having lots of flaxseed too!

Great! Give it some time to see what impact it has on your HDL. I have 4 every morning and that worked for me within 4 weeks.

Good luck!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No to them.

I will continue as I was then for another 3 months and see what the results come back as in August

Based on the fact she wants an action from you, you need to know what your starting point is. I'd recommend you ask for a print out of your lipid profile, so that you too can understand it. My personal experiences leads me to believe that many medical advisers, including GPs, don't have detailed knowledge about lipids, so I'd need to make sure I agreed with their recommendation before deciding if I needed to take action.

Very well done on the HbA1c reading though. That's a great improvement.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctors receptionist should be able to give you a printout of your cholesterol results.
If they quibble, just ask her to check with the nurse.

At my surgery I phoned, asked to speak to the nurse, she agreed to print out the test results and I picked them up from reception about half an hour later.

I agree about knowing what your results are before you take any action. Sometimes all they look at is the Total cholesterol figure, rather than the ratios.

Reactions: 2 people