Dealing with my 7 year old diabetic granddaughter

Kristen48

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My name is Kristen and I have a 7 year old granddaughter with Diabetes Type 1. She just recently got her PUMP. But the question I have is why does she throw up all the time. I have to pick her up at school at least 4 times a week for this. Is this normal for her to throw up because of her diabetes? I would appreciate and answers and or suggestions. Thank You.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Throwing up needs to be checked out by a GP.

Are her levels within 5-10 at times of throwing up?

Is it after food? If it is be careful because if a bolus has been given for food and then throwing up .. Levels could drop.

Have you got glucogel in case of throwing up and having had a bolus.. This rubs in to gums snd can be handy to have when throwing up...

Theowing up though is not a normal occurence with living with diabetes or a pump... So I would advise finding out the cause with the endochrologist at hospital or a visit to GP.

Poor grand daughter... Not nice for her...

Reactions: 2 people

Kristen48

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Throwing up needs to be checked out by a GP.

Are her levels within 5-10 at times of throwing up?

Is it after food? If it is be careful because if a bolus has been given for food and then throwing up .. Levels could drop.

Have you got glucogel in case of throwing up and having had a bolus.. This rubs in to gums snd can be handy to have when throwing up...

Theowing up though is not a normal occurence with living with diabetes or a pump... So I would advise finding out the cause with the endochrologist at hospital or a visit to GP.

Poor grand daughter... Not nice for her...
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm gonna go down the route of is she having "trouble" at school?
Nerves can manifest itself as vomiting.. ( My dad could/would wretch if emotionally upset.)
& let's face it. If there is a "get out clause" & a safe situation with nan? What would you choose....?

Just a thought. Sorry if way off mark!

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm gonna go down the route of is she having "trouble" at school?
Nerves can manifest itself as vomiting.. ( My dad could/would wretch if emotionally upset.)
& let's face it. If there is a "get out clause" & a safe situation with nan? What would you choose....?

Just a thought. Sorry if way off mark!

That occurred to me too. Especially having a pump now grand daughter may be feeling even more different to everybody else. Even this angst can even in such a young child bring on reactions.

However my concern initially was that some children/adults also have reactions to certain foods or indeed diagnosis of coeliac disease at some point with diabetes and this was my first reaction to suggest a GP or hospital consultant.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That occurred to me too. Especially having a pump now grand daughter may be feeling even more different to everybody else. Even this angst can even in such a young child bring on reactions.

However my concern initially was that some children/adults also have reactions to certain foods or indeed diagnosis of coeliac disease at some point with diabetes and this was my first reaction to suggest a GP or hospital consultant.

A valid point about the coeliac DD. Definatly rule out all the "usual suspects" first with the GP.
Having said that.. I was a 7/8 year old type 1 once... Still am..! ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
A valid point about the coeliac DD. Definatly rule out all the "usual suspects" first with the GP.
Me too... Almost up to the point of adding a 5 infront of the 7 though!! (Well, 52 this year!!) still remember 7/8 though!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too... Almost up to the point of adding a 5 infront of the 7 though!! (Well, 52 this year!!) still remember 7/8 though!!

Lol, a little behind your good self.. 47 in July. (Birthday will be the D anniversary.) As an 8 year old? The "care package" at school was no doubt solely in our own hands....
Ah, the good old daze....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My apologies @Kristen48 ,

We tend to waffle on like this.. Food for thought. Your obviously a great nan. :cool:

Kristen48

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you for your reply. She was indeed checked out for Celiac Disease but it was negative... She is having some emotional problems she is dealing with latley though. But when she get sick and throws up, her whole body is like one limp noodle. She can't even move or hardly talk. It's kind of scary for me to watch her. I know my son is trying to take care of her and her needs, but he is young himself and has a lot on his plate.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply. She was indeed checked out for Celiac Disease but it was negative... She is having some emotional problems she is dealing with latley though. But when she get sick and throws up, her whole body is like one limp noodle. She can't even move or hardly talk. It's kind of scary for me to watch her. I know my son is trying to take care of her and her needs, but he is young himself and has a lot on his plate.

What are her blood sugar readings during these episodes..? Testing is always the first port of call.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Kristen

(Sorry for the banter!!)- must be something about being either side of 50 years old that makes us so child like sometimes!!

Well, it is good in a sense that they have tested for coeliac.

There is no direct link to diabetes that could cause vomiting that I know of..

It will be a professional that would really need to take this forward.

It is lovely to have such a wonderful nan...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
they were actually in check; not high nor low

Between 5 & 7.5 mmol.? (Or there abouts.) if not below the 4 mark. I would almost put the idea forward your granddaughter is "playing possum."?
Having said that. Extreme blood sugar level swings can make one feel emotional.. There are threads on this forum about it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi and welcome. So sorry to hear about your granddaughter, so worrying for you all. It could possibly be emotional problems by the sound of it, but with a child the 1st thing to do is to get them checked out by their GP or DSN. I am not on a pump but I have a 6 year old GD with type 1 as well, but on injections.
Have you thought about her 'chatting to you' through drawings or paintings, or a diary she write or draw in, did it start when the she went onto the pump ? A great source of help should be her school, please make an appointment, with or without your son to see the Head teacher, or class teacher to find out how she is within the school, in the class, at break time, lunch times, as some children can be made to feel 'different' by their peers.
Please let us know how you get on and I wish you all the very best and for your GD to be happy.and to suffer anyone.
Best wishes RRB x

Genewish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Contact GP first to make sure that there is nothing physically wrong. If not then I would contact the SEN (special educational needs) at the school and ask to make a plan when these situations occur. Such as taking time out other own until she feels better and is there someone on site to check her bloods and sit with her. It is lovely that you are such a nice caring nan but you can't be on call all the time if this is an emotional response. If it is emotional they need to be providing a plan for her in school to help her feel safe and protected. Can you have a mentor for example? To sit with her such as an older child when she has calmed down? All the time you could be kept in the loop via telephone, this would save you running around all the time also. Not saying that you mind obvs but she needs to know you are not going to go running all the time. Sorry if this seems harsh but if this is not medical?? The school have a duty of care also.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

I see in a previous post your Grandaughter has been diagnosed with Coeliac............. I wonder if she has been eating gluten at school. This could make her very sick.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I see in a previous post your Grandaughter has been diagnosed with Coeliac............. I wonder if she has been eating gluten at school. This could make her very sick.

Carbsrok ... Tested but was negative...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Carbsrok ... Tested but was negative...
Hi. Thank You for your reply. Yes I am concerned about my granddaughter because she has highs and lows too. She seems to run low when my son doesn't give her enough carbs. That's what concerns me. Also, her lab work just came back and she is positive for Celiac Disease, which is also an auto-immune disease. Poor thing can't catch a break!

That post says positive :confused:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I confused now !!! One above said negative!!

Improbably totally misunderstood!!