Nearly ditched pump tonight!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do they teally send out samples? I know some pump companies won't do that unless you have had training. I know Accuchek are very careful about people swopping over sets especially with the Insight if you've used the old combo sets as they are very careful to ensure you change the fill size of cannulas and tubes etc.
When I moved from the teflon to the stainless steel, I rang my DSN, she sent me a few to try, I liked them and that was it. My next order was SS. Again as with you being quite lean is an issue and I've caused myself real discomfort on occasion by getting the site wrong.

Overall though I'd really encourage @victry77 to persevere. It might take a little while but I've found the stability and flexibility of the pump invaluable around both work and sport

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes they can definitely bend!!

Steel ones in bum definitely paralylise with pain when slinging your handbag over your shoulder and it hits the set and forces it in to a bad place. Boy that is unmovable pain sometimes!!

Steel are recommended for leaner, musclier people with little fat... Probably because we know when they bend or hit a bad bit of muscle from movement in our bodies.

The flex ones in little fat just seem to hit muscle, may kink a little but the warning of pain isn't there...

Yes though Elydave is spot on, even steel ones can bend.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When I moved from the teflon to the stainless steel, I rang my DSN, she sent me a few to try, I liked them and that was it. My next order was SS. Again as with you being quite lean is an issue and I've caused myself real discomfort on occasion by getting the site wrong.

Overall though I'd really encourage @victry77 to persevere. It might take a little while but I've found the stability and flexibility of the pump invaluable around both work and sport

When I got the new steel ones direct from Accuchek my main wonderful chap there said to me that I should really see nurse because unlike the combo which you primed before putting in, the Insight you prime the steeel ones after putting in...he sent me them anyway without seeing nurse as he knows me so well...

I am sure @victry77 probs have been flexible sets... I'm positive that is the problem. Being lean elydave can be a problem but I'm sure changing the sets would improve things.

With the plastic sets my SD and levels were appalling. Even now I am having to change daily because of being small and muscly but look at my readings now. Back to normal again!!!!

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1432850062.118921.jpg

I am 100% positive that seeing how bad plastic sets were for me and achieving these levels on steel ones-despite having to change daily is possible for @victry77 if steel ones used.

I am wholly convinced that probs are set ones.

Jennyw5786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are Peoples thoughts on the pump as I would like it but my diabetic nurse is refusing me I experience some highs just can't seem to get my bg under control I got diagnosed. 2 years ago and was told I was pregnant at the same time and suffered a dka so had to b very strict but just can't seek to get that control back

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When I got the new steel ones direct from Accuchek my main wonderful chap there said to me that I should really see nurse because unlike the combo (which you primed before putting in) the Insight you prime the steeel ones after putting in...he sent me them anyway without seeing nurse as he knows me so well...

I am sure @victry77 probs have been flexible sets... I'm positive that is the problem. Like you @lean elydave I'm sure changing the sets would improve things.

With the plastic sets my SD and levels were appalling. Back to normal again!!!!

View attachment 13558

I am 100% positive that seeing how bad plastic sets were for me and achieving these levels on steel ones-(Wednesday and Friday was higher 8.8's because of painful sets that I had to change). Now having to change daily as well....

I am wholly convinced that probs are set ones.

PATRICK317

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Read " PUMPIN INSULIN " I have been on a pump since 2007, I wish I would have read this book 10 years ago. I too would get highs after meals, but I just read about a super Bolus. Very effective. The pump with knowledge is much more effective.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Read " PUMPIN INSULIN " I have been on a pump since 2007, I wish I would have read this book 10 years ago. I too would get highs after meals, but I just read about a super Bolus. Very effective. The pump with knowledge is much more effective.

Have read and also been on pump a few years too.

A person needs to get used to testing 2 hours after food (which a lot of T1's don't do on MDi) and get used to doing standard bolus's first and testing.

There is no point in a newly diagnosed person doing any other bolus's unless they are 100%sure that they basals are correct and what happens with having a standard bolus 2 hours after a meal.

Talking about super bolysing to somebody that maynot need it at this stage could be detrimental.

Toother peoe like myself this could be dangerous due to other stomach conditions they have. For a standard everyday meal you should not have to faff around. It should be "bolus and go". If meals are heavily laden with fat or takeaways, pasta etc then it may well be the correct thing to do but for a standard everyday meal such as for instance a breakfast (which for many people would be a standard cereal) there really should not be the need to switch to a super bolus or waking up 2 hours warly to do a 80% temp bolus..that is extreme!! People want to live too besides thinking of their pump and diabetes and setting alarm clocks for a 80% temp basal!!

Reactions: 6 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have read and also been on pump a few years too.

A person needs to get used to testing 2 hours after food (which a lot of T1's don't do on MDi) and get used to doing standard bolus's first and testing.

There is no point in a newly diagnosed person doing any other bolus's unless they are 100%sure that they basals are correct and what happens with having a standard bolus 2 hours after a meal.

Talking about super bolysing to somebody that maynot need it at this stage could be detrimental.

Toother peoe like myself this could be dangerous due to other stomach conditions they have. For a standard everyday meal you should not have to faff around. It should be "bolus and go". If meals are heavily laden with fat or takeaways, pasta etc then it may well be the correct thing to do but for a standard everyday meal such as for instance a breakfast (which for many people would be a standard cereal) there really should not be the need to switch to a super bolus or waking up 2 hours warly to do a 80% temp bolus..that is extreme!! People want to live too besides thinking of their pump and diabetes and setting alarm clocks for a 80% temp basal!!
Does this book explain how to use multiwave and extended bolus? I would really like to use that feature on my pump. it must be useful for low carbers.
You are right thought , its too much to think about it at the beginning. Getting basal right if enough complicated and extended boluses would mess everything up. Im back to moderate carbs and standard bouls until I get my head around all of it

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It does explain multiwave and extended or square waves. It is written for 'Mr Average' so don't forget though-one size does not fit all.

The most important thing initially when new on a pump is not to eat every 2 hours. Leave some days with 5 hours between meals so you can see how long your insulin acts and to see how your bolus / correction factors are working.

I personally didn't multi wave or extend etc for increasing heavy fats in lchf. As it was my basal it affected on a consistent long term basis. So just standard bolus's for me but more.. Like said.. We are all i dividual.

Now I'm on the healthy med fats instead I just use standard bolus. I been lower carber for best part of 50 years, but the avocado, olives, mackeral, salmon are a complete new addition to my diet. So once again recognising tbe best things to do...

Reactions: 7 people

victry77

Thank you all again for the further responses and advice. I am still persevering with the much appreciated help of kind members of this forum.

I rang Medtronic but they don't actually send out samples I have to speak to my DSN for her to write to them so they can send me a different box of sets. The helpline guy (who incidentally was very helpful) suggested I try shorter cannulas as the ones I'm using are far to large for my build and very little body fat. He seemed to think that based on my BG levels that I'm not getting the best out of the insulin due to the cannulas. Anyway spoke to my nurse today and she is requesting for them to send me the shorter ones to try first and if I'm still having problems then I can try the steel ones but I need to go in to train for those.

Does this book explain how to use multiwave and extended bolus? I would really like to use that feature on my pump. it must be useful for low carbers.
You are right thought , its too much to think about it at the beginning. Getting basal right if enough complicated and extended boluses would mess everything up. Im back to moderate carbs and standard bouls until I get my head around all of it

I've had a go of these features myself, but I need to get a better grip of the standard bolus first as when I was doing my basal testing the other day I botched things up by using the square wave feature.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Can't believe your nurse is so against giving you the opportunity to try different set which even the medtronic website recommends!!! Aaaaaaaggggghhhh!!!!!
So totally different to the advice I get from my DSN and Accuchek. They are 100% behind lean people having non flex sets!!!

Give the sets a try... Inly thing you can do... Maybe that lean and flex with you will work. However, the first unexplained high you get... Phone them and tell them you are adamant now that you want to try different set.....

"Lean as a bean" isn't as easy with sets as it is for persons with a bit of fat....(not meaning this deterimentally!!)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've chucked mine. Literally. I'm taking a month off. My site areas look like a World War One battlefield. I've had about a dozen Inset IIs break at the spade connector now, constant insertion problems, and even when it's working it's not working, if you see what I mean. I had my checkup last week and my Hba1c, SD and average BG were all terrible. Not that I blame the pump for that. I blame the pump operator. But the pump is not helping. It's been 15 months and there is no improvement in control, for me, just decline. YMMV, as we used to say in the old days.

A month on MDI then I will see where I am.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@Spiker have a look at your cartridge as well and see if there is insulin below the double rings on the plunger. Animas keep telling me it's my problem not there's. The inside of my pump is wet as well.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Spiker have a look at your cartridge as well and see if there is insulin below the double rings on the plunger. Animas keep telling me it's my problem not there's. The inside of my pump is wet as well.
Ah OK thanks I will check for that. That could explain why I've been high so much of the time.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm you know what, it is wet below the double rings. And this is an empty cartridge, but still noticeably wet to the touch.
How long's this issue being going on with Animas?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmm you know what, it is wet below the double rings. And this is an empty cartridge, but still noticeably wet to the touch.
How long's this issue being going on with Animas?
You tell me animas are treating me as if I am a village idiot and it's all my fault. I suspect they have issues but as per normal wont admit it.
I know I've had at least 11 cartridges that are faulty so far.
I have done exactly as the instructions state on the cartridge info and mine is still leaking.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You tell me animas are treating me as if I am a village idiot and it's all my fault. I suspect they have issues but as per normal wont admit it.
I know I've had at least 11 cartridges that are faulty so far.
I have done exactly as the instructions state on the cartridge info and mine is still leaking.

Take photos and report to MHRA.

By the way a little off course but still with faults...for pumpers in general...

One thing my chap at Accuchek says to me.. Is that mobile phones being in close contact with a pump is not good.. When I talk to him and we are going through issues-say downloading data to a pc once... He said "your mobile phone is not near your pump is it?many people get peoblems with pumps and mobiles conflicting at times"......

Now I know this is different again and going back to induction hobs.. The manufacturers of the hobs give warnings that they are unsuitable for pump users". This would seem true... As when my dab radio and hob are on the signal to the radio is dreadful. I don't use my hob.. My hubby does the cooking. But its just an awareness for all pump users to consider... Mobiles and induction hobs. I've definitely been asked by chap on Accuchek help line 3 times about the vicinity of my pump to my mobile and saying each time as well that users are calling in with faults and they are because of mobiles and phones interacting...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My mobile is not near my phone and would not make cartridges faulty anyway :) My pump manual actually says to keep away from mobiles, SAT Nav also states could interfere with insulin pumps :(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My mobile is not near my phone and would not make cartridges faulty anyway :) My pump manual actually says to keep away from mobiles, SAT Nav also states could interfere with insulin pumps :(

I know nothing to do with cartridges.. But for a careline to have to be telling pump users of mobile issues it may be a consideration for some people to bear in mind.

I have read somewhere else people having issues with cartridges though. Thats why I mentioned to take photos and to keep them and report each cartridge issue separately on MHRA website. MHRA really take these issues seriously. I dealt with them with set issues 5 years ago and they were superb.