Low GI bread

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a bit of advice......…………

I love bread - at the moment I have a multigrain granary sliced loaf from Tesco.

Does anyone have any recommendation for low GI breads they have used or is it best to avoid bread all together?!?!

Does anyone make their own bread and have good recipes?!?!?

x

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not so much the GI rating you need to consider, but the total carbohydrates you consume. Most loaves now seem to put the carbs on the nutritional information as per slice too, so it's easy to work out exactly how much you're having. A normal slice of brown bread is in the region of 15g of carbs per slice. The Burgen bread brettsza mentioned is 11 g carbs per slice (and they're large too), so certainly a saving.

If you have a Lidl near you they do some 'high protein' buns in the fresh bakery section. They're a large triangular dark bun covered in sesame seeds and sold loosely for 39p each. They have a lot of flax seeds in the bread, although it's very light and fluffy inside and they are quite a substantial eat. They work out at just over 10g of carbs each bun but each one is like eating 2 slices of bread - one would be enough for a substantial butty when filled with good stuff - I have half one one toasted occasionally with my scrambled egg for breakfast.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tip of german/polish breads noblehead, I have loads of polish stores around I Will go and check there.

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Prefect - thank you - there is a Lidl just down the road so will have to have a look - the buns sound ideal :) x

nybrid

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
fear of diabetes complications
Hi
I have been diagnosed type 1 out the blue recently but only on metformin at present and have gone lowish carb.
try the HI LO bread from Sainsbury.
go on their web site and find your nearest branch or order online.
This is the only bread that does not spike me so far and fills you up to.
I think it is only 4 carbs per slice. Even though the slices are small they are fairly filling.
good luck

Reactions: 2 people