You guys were right...met the diabetic nurse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you guys for the well wishes. that's a stone in 4 weeks!

If course I will try my best to work with some of what she says but right now I feel that this is definitely helping. I don't even know when my next test is, but I'm hoping that it was better than my first test!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For many of us we can enjoy granola and porridge for breakfast without pretending than having bacon for breakfast every day is a pleasant thing!

Try different food and teSt. You may be suprised at some things you can tolerate in sensible portions.

Why on earth do you think low carbers are 'pretending' to enjoy bacon for breakfast every day?

There are about 50 different LC breakfast options, most of which don't involve either bacon or eggs.
Although I look forward to weekends when I get the time and leisure to have both.

It would be a pleasure to read some posts by you that explained your positive experiences of your chosen diet, lifestyle and diabetes management. Instead I only see posts where you criticise a way of eating that you personally dislike. If you feel LC has too much airtime on the forum, then make some positive contributions to redress the balance.

Reactions: 18 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where's the criticism? I'm saying there are other ways!

I have commented and discussed my own experience elsewhere. It's not relevant to this thread. Which is basically rubbishing our health care providers whom I agree are myopic in their view. But not always wrong.

I don't have an issue with low carbing. Whatever works. I have a bit of an issue with the fact that people are just as myopic as the hp when a contradictory view point is put forward.

The only dietry thing I'll push hard is eat to your meter.

I'll look forward to your 50 breakfast options! Most or which no doubt involve fake flour and compromise bread because much as you love the LCHF lifestyle you probably spend a lot time trying to gent as close as you can to the things you'd rather be eating.

Now if bread spikes you and burgen bread doesn't that's great. But if normal bread doesn't spike you. Don't pretend. Have real bread.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion and my thread was about MY experience with the health system and no one else's! I could say a lot more about the health treatment I've received including the fact that my diabetes was not picked up during my pregnancy leading to a large baby, blood transfusions and my baby born with a disability! You may feel the advice you have been given to be appropriate and that is fine because it works for YOU. I in contrast have chosen a different path and it is working for me, it isn't easy but it's working.

Your last post is a little too negative in my opinion especially as I am talking about MY experience. Is that not what this forum is about...sharing experiences and what each finds works for them

Reactions: 19 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But your experience was in fact not that your DN was wrong. It was that they told you something that you expected them to say. You cant get more negative than that.

I suspect my doing as the Nhs says blood sugars are lower than yours! And again that's not to say you're not doing things the right way. It's offering a point of view that the advice can work. The problem is it doesn't always!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @mikej1973 Didn't your Doctor at one stage say "Maybe you are diabetic and maybe you are not?" I seem to remember you were doing the 5:2 diet? Did your DN advise this diet? Maybe you could start a thread about it if you haven't already? It would be good to chat positively about diets that work for other people away from this thread.

I glad the NHS advice works for someone!:)

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @mikej1973, if you actually read my thread in the context it was written which was jovial and sarcastic as others have managed to maybe you would not have seen it as an attack. But as I've said these are MY experiences negative or not and thank you woohoo much for stating that your bg levels are probably lower than mine, obviously we are in competition! Well done and thank you for ruining my day all the best and pleased that you are managing your condition YOUR way as others have said maybe post what works for you

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. She did indeed say that. She's now happy that I am type 2 diabetic in remission. My own testing makes me inclined to agree

The 5:2 diet has worked for me. There is a thread on the diet forum I contribute to. I think the benefit is the weight loss not the structure of the diet and low carb and 5:2 are great bed fellows!

There simply isn't a one size fits all approach. Our bodies are different and type 2 diabetes is different. At least in the initial stages. For me it seems to be solely the result of been a fat B*****d! Doing something about that means I'm winning the battle at the moment. But im winning the battle using the Nhs advice Asia baseline.

For me it worked so to mock there advice is just wrong. It doesn't work for everyone. But our health and wellbeing our OUR responsibility not theirs

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But your experience was in fact not that your DN was wrong. It was that they told you something that you expected them to say. You cant get more negative than that.

I suspect my doing as the Nhs says blood sugars are lower than yours! And again that's not to say you're not doing things the right way. It's offering a point of view that the advice can work. The problem is it doesn't always!

Sorry way too many double negatives for me to get my head round.... so rewriting your first sentence, with respect..

But your experience was in fact that your DN was not right.... as does appear to be the case for a lot of folk..... not all....

Yours second para: are we comparing like with like? Possibly not....

Is there much pretending going on? Can't say I've come across it....

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @mikej1973, if you actually read my thread in the context it was written which was jovial and sarcastic as others have managed to maybe you would not have seen it as an attack. But as I've said these are MY experiences negative or not and thank you woohoo much for stating that your bg levels are probably lower than mine, obviously we are in competition! Well done and thank you for ruining my day all the best and pleased that you are managing your condition YOUR way as others have said maybe post what works for you

If I've ruined your day then you have bigger problems than diabetes!! Your post was an attempt to fit in and get attention. Just like your reply to me

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry way too many double negatives for me to get my head round.... so rewriting your first sentence, with respect..

But your experience was in fact that your DN was not right.... as does appear to be the case for a lot of folk..... not all....

Yours second para: are we comparing like with like? Possibly not....

Is there much pretending going on? Can't say I've come across it....

The first paragraph makes perfect sense! Don't be obtuse! AgaIn. I followed the DN advice and it worked. What is your problem with me expressing tha?

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect my doing as the Nhs says blood sugars are lower than yours!
That's not because you're following NHS guidelines, it's because your diabetes is different from hers - and mine. For now. When I was first diagnosed over 23 years ago, I too got good control for at least five years, just by cutting out baked products, fizzy drinks and white flour and replacing them with brown and 'whole' versions - and at that time, there simply wasn't the selection of world foods and variety available that there is now to be more adventurous. And no internet to go and dig out recipes and more information.

Over the years, it has become increasingly difficult for me to keep control with the same efforts that worked previously, despite progressively dropping a lot of weight and increasing exercise. If I'd understood low carbing better many years ago, I might have done better than I have over the long haul. It was only when nothing worked for me that I started looking into 'alternative diets to control diabetes' and found the success stories here. I'd been told I needed insulin and was trying to stave it off through my own efforts for as long as possible.

I'm now on insulin and also low carbing, exercise daily and am dropping weight, yet my BGs are still too high. So clearly my condition differs from yours and isn't the same for me as it once was either. I would have gone hypo 20 years ago eating what I will do today. So consider yourself lucky that it is working for you at the moment and I hope it continues for you. But over time, you might find that you will also need to modify your approach too, so please enjoy it whilst it lasts. I wish I'd understood then, what I know now. You too might well find yourself tying to find recipes for foods you enjoy just to drop 5g of carbs off a serving! :)

Apologies @Mrsmac247 if this has hijacked your thread.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrsmac247 Well done on the weight loss and thanks again for sharing. I read the OP as speaking positively about your forum experience rather than negatively about anyone else. Just shows we really are all different. ;):).

Reactions: 5 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Following the guidelines has brought my diabetes under control. Low carbing would Have done it too. However given a choice most of us would find a diet with fruit vegetable and rice and grain preferable. If just for the variety.

My issue is not with what is better or worse. It's the self congratulatory back slapping and let's be honest fundamentalism to be found.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you don't like us congratulating someone who is doing well? I love these threads where I can say "well done" to someone! I can't say it if they don't start the thread in the first place. If you don't like these sorts of threads why don't you just avoid them?

Reactions: 5 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So you don't like us congratulating someone who is doing well? I love these threads where I can say "well done" to someone! I can't say it if they don't start the thread in the first place. If you don't like these sorts of threads why don't you just avoid them?

No. You misunderstood me. Although that's my lack of clarity. And nothing specifically intended toward the Op!

It's the virtual lynching of the op and many others' hralthcare team that I mean. Basically they're being held up as an example "look at the awful advice this person has given me" when that advice can work for some people and will help just about everyone. Even though there are better options.

Lots and lots and lots of people not on this forum manage their diabetes well using the standard guidelines. Lots of people low carb and struggle to keep their bs under control. So I'll keep sticking up for those trying to take care of us!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where's the criticism? I'm saying there are other ways!

I have commented and discussed my own experience elsewhere. It's not relevant to this thread. Which is basically rubbishing our health care providers whom I agree are myopic in their view. But not always wrong.

I don't have an issue with low carbing. Whatever works. I have a bit of an issue with the fact that people are just as myopic as the hp when a contradictory view point is put forward.

The only dietry thing I'll push hard is eat to your meter.

I'll look forward to your 50 breakfast options! Most or which no doubt involve fake flour and compromise bread because much as you love the LCHF lifestyle you probably spend a lot time trying to gent as close as you can to the things you'd rather be eating.

Now if bread spikes you and burgen bread doesn't that's great. But if normal bread doesn't spike you. Don't pretend. Have real bread.

What a pity that you don't seem to recognise how negatively you come across.
Your promotion of not-LC might come across differently, if you did.

As for the breakfast option discussion, it would appear that you don't know quite as much about low carbing as you think. I have listed different breakfast options on several threads across the forum (and I'm not going to derail what was once a lovely, congratulatory thread). There are numerous, varied recipes all over this forum and over the internet, I am confident you can find 50+ if you are willing to use the search function.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't promote a balanced diet. I promote whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.