ellian0809

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brown rice
Being overweight
Hi I'm new to the forum, but feel I need some help. I've been diagnosed with type 2 for 4 years. Up till recently I couldn't accept it then got a shocking result from my hba1c of 98. Now I'm really scared and can't seem to get my levels down below 12 first thing in the morning. Recently I saw an endocrinologist for a lump found on my adrenal gland and he prescribed Dapagliflozin. I'm on sitagliptin and should be taking metformin but can never remember to take them and they upset my tummy even the slow release. So if I'm being brutally honest I feel that I forget on purpose.
I don't like many varieties of veg and I eat mostly root veg. But love potatoes, I don't eat a lot of meat with my meals I like to cook from scratch, but mostly traditional meal. I love spicy foods too curry and rice and chilli and rice. I know from reading the posts here that carbs are a big factor and feel this is where I've been going wrong substituting sugar snacks for crisps.
I'm lost with what I can eat that I'm going to like. Ive only been on the Dapagliflozin for 6 days but wonder how long it takes for them to take effect?
I'm really scared I'm going to end up on insulin, injecting doesn't bother me but the side effects do. I'm over 23 stone as it is although have lost nearly 2 stone this year.
Apologies if I'm on the wrong forum but any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You're not on the wrong forum. People will be along shortly to give good advice. You are right its the root veg that will get you. Chuck out the pasta, rice and spuds. Get a meter so you can test before and 2 hours after eating. On a low carb diet you should lose weight but more importantly get your blood sugars under control.

Reactions: 4 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Hello and welcome . I understand how you feel , its so easy to feel confused, lost and isolated . Carb lowering will help so much , @daisy1 will soon pick this message up and post some very helpful information for you .

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Hi Ellian. Diabetes is a pain - what we eat is very much linked in to the way we see ourselves and live life.
Well done for the weight loss - that makes a good start.
My approach was to set mental guidelines along the lines of:
Can eat as much as I like: (leafy veg, fish, meat, cheese).
Need to be careful: pulses, carrots,
Need to be very careful (very restricted quantities): potato, rice, pasta, fruit, bread
Stop eating altogether: cake, biscuits, sweets.

Now the one thing that causes most disagreement on this site is the amount of carbs you should be eating. If you can test, you will find out what your biochemistry can handle.
My intial advice based on what you have said so far would be:
Continue to enjoy making food from scratch. Chillis and curries are good. (There is a DUK e-book of curry recipes - but I can't find a web link anywhere - or the e-mail from which I downloaded the link. I'll keep looking).
I would suggest mixing your rice with grated cauliflower or lentils, or even peas so that the portion looks the same size but has fewer carbs.
If we're having Chinese food, I find beansprouts a handy (if less yummy) substitute for rice.
Barley and quinoa make useful lower GI alternatives to rice.
Find the vegetables you do like, and make the most of them. Try to broaden your horizons with other things.

Some food manufacturers have been outstandingly successful in persuading the public that breakfast comes in large boxes full of carbs. I suspect that many diabetics find this the biggest attitude shift of all.
I find eggs or fish (especially kipper) make a good start to the day. The good old fashioned full English is not so dodgy if you're diabetic.

It was probably not the fat that led to you being larger than you wanted. 20% of me vanished when I seriously cut the carbs. I'm just hoping that none of the important bits of me went.
Stay strong, stay thoughtful.
Best wishes
Adam

ellian0809

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brown rice
Being overweight
Thank you everyone for you help, you've all been really lovely and welcoming. I will definitely be using these tips to help me.
I do have a question re carbs, what is the amount of carbs per 100g I should aim to go lower than, when looking at labels? I know for sugar and fat but not carbs. Thanks, Helen

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Helen, good to see you are taking steps to help yourself. I was diagnosed last year after a free NHS chack; came as a huge shock to me as my glucose and HbA1c were very high although I had not had ant symptoms.

You say "I'm lost with what I can eat that I'm going to like". Unfortunately you may just have to start liking what you can eat as I have had to. For about 30 years my breakfast virtually every day was a grapefruit followed by bran flakes, chopped up fresh fruit, some seed sprinkle and half a pint of milk. Occasionally at the weekend I would have a boiled egg and toast or toast and (loads of) ginger marmalade or a fry up with fried bread and a large mug of strong, almost black coffee.

Everything has now changed. as I am very carb intolerant. The only thing that I can make myself like is an omelette, can't manage a boiled egg without toast and bread is a no no for me. I add garlic, onion, crushed chillies, (supposed to be good for you but would never have considered them previously), mushroom cheeses and occasion some spicy sausage. I really didn't like it at first but have now got used to it and it keeps my glucose normal. I seem to live on salads and stir fries.

The list I can no longer eat is lengthy; potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, pizza (although I occasionally have a bit and leave base and crust), fruit (although I still have my grapefruit at breakfast and a few blueberries which do spike my glucose) and, of course all cakes, biscuits, chocolates etc. I miss my fruit terribly and it is difficult to see my husband eating fish and chips followed by a bag of donuts or a curry with rice and nan bread followed by a sticky pudding but I have to decide if I want to try and keep the diabetic symptoms away or eat what I want to and suffer the consequences.

My sister actually said to me "I know lots of diabetics and they don't make the fuss yo do about what they eat, you are just being paranoid. Eat what you want and just die sooner".

You will find out what you can and can't have by stopping virtually all carbs and then introducing a small amount oif what you want e.g. rice, pasta. Sadly I can't have any of those.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, do follow the diet advice posted above. The main thing is to manage the total carbs consumed each day. Certainly keep this below 200gm and probably 150gm or lower. There are some on the forum who stay below 50gm but I couldn't do that. With regard to insulin which I'm now on, it's not insulin that causes weight gain but the temptation to eat too many carbs when you can take more insulin to match so when on insulin you still need to have a sensibly low-carb diet.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@ellian0809

Hello Helen and welcome to the forum :)

This is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful, especially the diet and carbs information. I'm glad you have already had such good information already from members and I expect you will get lots more too. Ask all the questions you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've recently cut down on carb's. At first I tried less than 100gm per day, but found it hard going so now I get between 100-150 gm. I try not to deny myself too much as this will only backfire. I cook from scratch and eat wholemeal bread etc. I'm not a fruit eater, so that's a problem. As soon as I cut carbs I lost 2-3 pounds in weight, but none since.There is no way that I can exist on avacado's and kale. It's a personal thing, and if you can stick to an extreme regime, great. I choose to make small changes that I can stick to. I have been on 1000metformin for 5 years and it always gave me an upset tummy, which bought bs down 2 points to about 8ish. Now it doesn't upset my tummy, so bs gone up to 10+ . Hense, I have come to the conclusion that metformin only works by emptying stomach constantly.Doc raised metformin to 2000mg and still bs not gone down and no upset to tummy. Need a change in med's me think's.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi and welcome don't be scared , there is a lot that you can do . I found by cutting down on the carbs it helped a great deal , and I say cut down not cut out so a smaller portion of spuds on your plate and make up with meat veg so the plate looks as full ,and don't try to cut to hard but do it gradually I think this could be the hardest part for you but you will get there good luck JJ

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome from me too.

Look at the things you do like which are low carb and then try to rebalance them. I love chilli but always had more rice than chilli. You could try a small amount of rice or just have the chilli on its own.

Give things a try if you haven't had them before, you might just find loads of new things you love.

Carbs are hard to reduce as we normally spend a lifetime building up our reliance on them.

You want to make changes so with the help and support of members you will find the right way for you.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what is the amount of carbs per 100g I should aim to go lower than, when looking at labels?
Hiya, just to pick up on this ... I look for 5 or less if it's going to be more than a teaspoonful, but it's personal. I suggest you work out your carb level at the moment and then cut down gradually to avoid carb flu (feeling rough). Ultimately your meter will tell you what's best. And ignore the "of which sugars" bit. It's all sugar to us.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi good on you for caring about your health and for working on those dratted carbs. You stated that you are choosing to make small changes which is a great way to do it. In our household I am the only one who eats a low carb diet and I found changing what I ate slowly meant I could stick with the changes easier. I was diagnosed last year and I remember reading about how people could eat less than 20g carbs per day and only eat two meals ect and I thought I could never do that but 15 months later I have managed to do it myself so anything is possible. The key is no matter what you are eating make sure you are testing your BS after you eat to gauge what affects you and what doesn't then you can maybe find alternatives to the foods that spike you. I'm sure given time you will get everything under control and at a level you are comfortable with.