Does anyone else binge when hypo?

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Does anyone get the uncontrollable bingeing when hypo?
I try really really hard not to do this, but the hand to mouth action just won't stop. It's like the floodgates have opened. I'm ashamed to admit that I've even scoffed so much that I've had to inject some fast acting insulin to compensate! How daft is that? In my defence I haven't done that very often. But the temptation lurks.
I need to give myself a good talking to ........

Reactions: 2 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually laughing out loud reading your post...I'm sure we are all guilty of doing this at times...I know I've done the exact same thing on many occasions. To be fair though I suspect it has rather a lot to do with the panic reaction you sometimes get when you're hypo...especially when it catches you out. Also the hypo hunger can be insatiable in many ways...and one biscuit is never enough...especially when you spend so much of the time denying yourself such delicious treats...it's hard to stop.

On the plus side...since I've been low carbing I find it much easier to stop...I've not had too many hypo's since starting it though so perhaps that will change. I was quite proud of myself last week when I managed to stop at one and a half jelly babies...with not that much self control :D

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Actually laughing out loud reading your post...I'm sure we are all guilty of doing this at times...I know I've done the exact same thing on many occasions. To be fair though I suspect it has rather a lot to do with the panic reaction you sometimes get when you're hypo...especially when it catches you out. Also the hypo hunger can be insatiable in many ways...and one biscuit is never enough...especially when you spend so much of the time denying yourself such delicious treats...it's hard to stop.

On the plus side...since I've been low carbing I find it much easier to stop...I've not had too many hypo's since starting it though so perhaps that will change. I was quite proud of myself last week when I managed to stop at one and a half jelly babies...with not that much self control :D
Lol! Half a jelly baby. That is sooooo impressive!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I left it out on side as a reminder of how clever I was...made me feel quite smug all day lol

Reactions: 4 people

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Lol! Half a jelly baby. That is sooooo impressive!

You're right about the feeling of panic. I absobloodylutely hate the hypo feeling. Just out of control etc etc.

merlindine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone get the uncontrollable bingeing when hypo?
I try really really hard not to do this, but the hand to mouth action just won't stop. It's like the floodgates have opened. I'm ashamed to admit that I've even scoffed so much that I've had to inject some fast acting insulin to compensate! How daft is that? In my defence I haven't done that very often. But the temptation lurks.
I need to give myself a good talking to ........
ive been eating like an animal last few days ,suger high ,i know im causing it ,but feel like a druggie and keep eating whew.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The extra brownie points are mine...it was the head...and a black jelly baby too...my favourite flavour lol :D

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ive been eating like an animal last few days ,suger high ,i know im causing it ,but feel like a druggie and keep eating whew.

It's not easy...and we've all done it. However...if your BS is high...it's time to rein yourself in and replace the sugary snacks with something a little more healthy that won't affect your BS...you could try drinking more water...it helps to fill you up and stave off the cravings a little.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
All good advice, and equally I think we've all gone a bit nuts on occasions due to a hypo...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to live like that - starve - hypo - binge
The starving was to try and lose weight that I put on when bingeing.
The curse of the reactive hypoglycaemic.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
i've been there and its hard to control. when the hypo monster comes he wants to eat the fridge and the house and the cat and the dog and the hamster all on a waffle with syrup :) . I've started to control him better by knowing how much will actually raise my bg back to a normal level and it's really not that much, a couple of glasses of fresh orange juice do it normally and counting the carbs, i used to rocket back up from about a 3 to a 16 which was a disaster then i had to compensate again and risk another hypo, crazy world we live in. Low carbing has helped me balance it all out and knowing 100ml glass of fresh orange juice will raise my bg 1-2 mmol pretty fast.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

That curse has gone away thanks to being in ketosis.
No more hunger pangs, no sneaking a carby baddie to fulfilling the urge.

I don't think I've binged for about 2 and half years.
I couldn't now if I wanted to, my stomach and waist line has shrunk!

The rebound effect of snacking for us RH ers is something you don't want to try!!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've done a little reading on RH since seeing a few of your post's, still struggling to get my head around it but would imagine this kind of lifestyle would be a nightmare for you guys. I must admit that LCHF has been a godsend for me in this sense...I want to lose weight...so stay in ketosis...which means I treat hypo's a lot more responsibly...and actually don't crave the sugar like I used to...it's a win win all round :)

Reactions: 6 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
'reactive hypoglycemia' to me is the yo-yo effect i personally suffered with from not knowing how much insulin to use in relation to carb intake, i had to do some serious math to work it all out, now i've got a ratio worked out and i keep the carbs low to make it easy, helps me avoid the serious hypos.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
'reactive hypoglycemia' to me is the yo-yo effect i personally suffered with from not knowing how much insulin to use in relation to carb intake, i had to do some serious math to work it all out, now i've got a ratio worked out and i keep the carbs low to make it easy, helps me avoid the serious hypos.

That yo yo effect had my docs in a quandary, they didn't have a clue. It really was hell to be that way!
Nowt to do with maths just stay away from the baddies and eat a little very low carb meal every two to three hours.
In ketosis, in control!

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
That yo yo effect had my docs in a quandary, they didn't have a clue. It really was hell to be that way!
Nowt to do with maths just stay away from the baddies and eat a little very low carb meal every two to three hours.
In ketosis, in control!
Interesting. tx. what lc plan do you follow food wise? what is a typical breakfast, etc? any web pointers would be appreciated.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Typical day

B. Yoghurt, (full fat) berries, tea (black no sugar)
Mm. Small apple. Tea
L. Ham omelette, mushrooms etc, tea
Ma. One piece Bergen bread with meat and baby leaf salad. Tea
D. Chicken curry(homemade), salad. Diet coke
S. Yoghurt, strawberries, choclate(85%)

Having a fasting day tomorrow!

Gonna have a full fry up Sunday morning.

Bacon, eggs, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, a few beans.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Typical day

B. Yoghurt, (full fat) berries, tea (black no sugar)
Mm. Small apple. Tea
L. Ham omelette, mushrooms etc, tea
Ma. One piece Bergen bread with meat and baby leaf salad. Tea
D. Chicken curry(homemade), salad. Diet coke
S. Yoghurt, strawberries, choclate(85%)

Having a fasting day tomorrow!

Gonna have a full fry up Sunday morning.

Bacon, eggs, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, a few beans.
My diet is very similar to yours but i still have to inject but the units i take have been massively reduced. i know i can fine tune it more if i try. That breakfast sounds great, ill probably have the same tmos :) black pudding oooh!!!