Looking for LCHF and gluten and wheat free

Lilliepop

Can't find any LCHF and wheat and gluten snacks I don't like eggs. What happened is I always get very hungry at night and can't sleep so end up eating something that I shouldn't. Has anyone got any suggestions? It's so hard when you have to cut down on carbs and can't eat wheat and gluten. Is there anyone else in the same boat.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
dry sausages, pork scratching, cheese, olives, boiled eggs or make some low carb crackers or peanut butter is good too

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese, nuts, berries and cream, savoury or sweet microwave muffins or cookies , avocado, olives, salami, mini frankfurters, fat bombs, nut butter, hot drink with cream, piece or two of 85% or higher dark chocolate.... just about anything that's low carb that you can eat in smallish quantities.

I get hungry at night if I haven't had enough fat with my meals during the day, so usually have a late fattyish supper with a creamy drink. It tends to help me sleep better too.

Robbity

PS I see @ewelina's beaten me to it with similar suggestions!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some sliced cheese and/or peanut butter and/or marmite wrapped in a salad leaf. Stick of celery filled with full fat cream cheese. Some whipped cream flavoured with a few granules of instant coffee and/or cinnamon and some toasted flaked almonds, or pecans or walnuts. Coffee or chai with cream.

Dacuslive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They all sound like pretty good things to try, think I might give some a go. Nice one guys :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some whipped cream flavoured with a few granules of instant coffee and/or cinnamon and some toasted flaked almonds, or pecans or walnuts. .

Now that's talking - I love a little bowl of coffee and walnut cream! You're a girl after my own heart.... I'm not so sure about peanut butter with marmite though...:p

Now why on earth do some people think that LCHF is boring and/or restrictive??? :wideyed:

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
With pork scratching make sure you read the ingredients as some manufactures tend to add some nasty's which include wheat for some unknown reason :(
Try some popcorn as well as you need a lot for the carbs to register.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that's talking - I love a little bowl of coffee and walnut cream! You're a girl after my own heart.... I'm not so sure about peanut butter with marmite though...:p

Now why on earth do some people think that LCHF is boring and/or restrictive??? :wideyed:

Robbity

I love coffee and nuts in cream so much that I'm thinking I could make it an ice-cream without adding any sugar, based on Trudi Deakin's 'Eat Fat' recipe but minus the sweetener. I could chuck in some blueberries maybe. They'd go well with the coffee.

As for peanut butter and marmite ... Well maybe it's a bit strange but not when you consider that my favourite sandwich to take to school for lunch was hard-boiled egg and marmite.:p
Now that I don't eat marmite on bread or toast, celery, sliced cheese, lettuce still allow me to get my marmite fix. :)

Lilliepop

I love coffee and nuts in cream so much that I'm thinking I could make it an ice-cream without adding any sugar, based on Trudi Deakin's 'Eat Fat' recipe but minus the sweetener. I could chuck in some blueberries maybe. They'd go well with the coffee.

As for peanut butter and marmite ... Well maybe it's a bit strange but not when you consider that my favourite sandwich to take to school for lunch was hard-boiled egg and marmite.:p
Now that I don't eat marmite on bread or toast, celery, sliced cheese, lettuce still allow me to get my marmite fix. :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you do coffee with nuts in cream? Or coffee and walnut cream?

I'm afraid it's literally only cream, coffee and nuts! It's based on a Low Carb High Fat approach so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone eating a fair amount of carbs, because then it would pile on the calories too much. As I'm trying, most of the time, to do low carb at less than 50 carbs per day, I don't have much choice in desserts, especially as I don't want to use sweeteners. So for a 'dessert' I sometimes have:
  • 1 tablespoon of toasted flaked almonds
  • 1 tablespoon of broken pecan halves
  • 2 tablespoons of double cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp granulated instant coffee. Real brewed coffee would be wetter but would probably still work well if the cream was whipped a little more.
In a cup, whip the cream until it holds its shape in soft peaks
Add the coffee, vanilla, and nuts, and mix together gently.
Transfer to a serving dish.

I'm going to try, on the same lines, an adaptation of Trudi Deakin's 'Eat Fat' ice cream: I will leave out the stevia, and add coffee to the whisked egg yolks before stirring into the whipped cream with the nuts, vanilla and cinnamon, and maybe some blueberries. I will freeze it in individual-serving plastic pots so that it doesn't take hours to thaw, or a pick axe to decant. :) Even so, the little pots still need 20 mins + thawing time to be ready: I tried to take out a teaspoon of ice-cream too soon from one of them the other day for my other half to try, and I splintered the pot!

Reactions: 4 people