Complications of Diabetes

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2009 and now taking x1 Metformin tablet daily. It was discovered by chance from an ultrasound scan that I had for possible gallstones, that I have a fatty liver. I asked my GP if it could be possible that I may have had this for years without knowing about it and she said Yes. I have heard that diabetes can be the cause of fatty liver and a fatty liver can be the cause of diabetes so I don't know which came first but I feel upset at the fact that on top of my diabetes, I now have this (am hoping to be able to reverse it with diet and lifestyle change). Has anyone else found out they had a fatty liver by chance?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yes, from eating/drinking too many carbs. When I went LCHF my liver ALT reduced significantly, from 51 to 14.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Even though I have this cyst and fatty liver, my LFT all came back normal and the scan showed my liver was not enlarged so I thought I may have 'mild' fatty liver but the GP said it is black or white with fatty liver, you either have it or you don't but I take it that (hopefully) there is not too much damage caused and will maybe reverse it with weight loss and diet. My GP said that diabetes and fatty liver can be reversed so I must do everything I can now to try and do this. I'm just glad it was found out otherwise I dread to think what damage I may have caused. I think GP's should make patients aware of fatty liver to patients but I wonder if it is not publicised much otherwise patients would demand scans for preventative measures and of course these are costly - could that be the reason?

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, from eating/drinking too many carbs. When I went LCHF my liver ALT reduced significantly, from 51 to 14.

Carbs aren't the only way to get fatty liver. It's a symptom of too much fat on the bodY. Not unsurprisingly that can come from too much fat too!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My GP told me its a long term diabetes problem to get a fatty liver!!
I have slightly fatter, non alcholic liver... Only found by a stomach scan... Not by ALT levels which have always been normal. I certainly am a lower carber the vast majority of 50+!years and haven't got an ounce of fat on me.
My GP could not give me any ideas on how to reverse it.
I had 6 months of added dairy fats before this scan, so will be interesting on next scan to see if it has reversed now I have cut the dairy fats and solely rely upon the good oils and avocado, olives etc...

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am about 5 stones overweight which puts me in the 'obese' category and i would think ((and hope) that a 5 stone weight loss will do wonders for my diabetes and fatty liver although i realise it won't be easy and will be a long journey but i have the motivation to do it now for my health sake. I am watching everything that passes my lips now, have cut down carbs a lot and sugar (i just allow myself a small treat at the weekends) have cut out alcohol (not that i drank much anyway, only the odd glass of wine) although i did ask my GP if it was OK to have a small glass of wine when i go out for a meal and she said yes. I may have had the fatty liver before the diabetes - who knows but i feel fed up about it all at the moment :-(

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I certainly had fatty liver 10 years before diabetes. How representative that is of everyone else I have no idea!

Reactions: 2 people

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
how did you find out about it Mike?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find these articles helpful:

http://hopefulgeranium.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/fatty-liver-and-its-treatment.html
http://hopefulgeranium.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/my-dietary-recommendations-for-liver.html

My fatty liver (and pancreas) were revealed by ultrasound around the same time as my Type 2 diagnosis. I'd love to have another ultrasound to see if 3 years of LCHF has reversed it, though my ALT and AST levels are perfect now after having been elevated for many years - the problem is convincing the doctor to let me have another test.

Ideal range for ALT (on Australian tests) is 5-30 and ideal AST is 10-35.

Professor Taylor mentions elevated ALT and AST were associated with fatty liver in the Newcastle Diet study participants.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the links. I am going to ask for LFT again from my GP in about 3 months time. I am due to have an MRI scan in a week's time to get my cyst looked at and my liver so I should know the state of it soon. I think I will probably want regular check ups now and if GP won't do them then I'll pay private for future scans. One thing this has brought to my attention is we must take our own responsibility for our own health because the NHS won't.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how did you find out about it Mike?

I have gout. As part of the diagnosis for that they did lots of blood tests. The liver function was high so I went for an ultrasound. A blood test as part of my medication review caught the diabetes too! Unlike many I've found my surgery iinsanely helpful and proactive!

I don't think there are any major health issues with fatty liver? It's more an indicator of other issues? Although I may be wrong!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had first, liver function problems, then scanned for fatty liver, which was diagnosed along with other endocrine problems, kidneys, misdiagnosed T2 and that I could have heart problems.
This was between 5 &10 years before my endocrinologist diagnosed my condition.
After going on a low carb diet and no meds at the time, except aspirin and one for hypertension, my system began to recover. Nothing but very low carb did this. I am now really healthier than I was 30 years ago.
All my endocrine problems have now gone, except that my pancreas, won't stop the extra insulin!!!!!

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have started cutting down carbs and sugar, have porridge every morning for breakfast, am drinking herbal teas and eating healthier in general so I hope I will notice the benefits soon. I know it won't be easy but I know I must do it. I hate having so many health issues at the moment

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been diagnosed with fatty liver and have been referred by my doctor to a consultant as my liver is pressing on my spleen. I also have a gallstone which was picked up by the ultrasound.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been diagnosed with fatty liver and have been referred by my doctor to a consultant as my liver is pressing on my spleen. I also have a gallstone which was picked up by the ultrasound.
I too have gallstones picked up by ultrasound but they rarely cause me problems - I was told by the original doctor that they are present in a large portion of the population but usually asymptomatic.

You may find the following information about fatty liver helpful:
http://hopefulgeranium.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/fatty-liver-and-its-treatment.html

Many of the forum members following the low carb way of eating have found their liver function tests return to normal, myself included.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, you post some of the best links. Can't stop reading George's blog. The comment sections are equally interesting.

This post and comment section dove into the topic of vitamin K2, then developed into a fascinating discussion on statins... http://hopefulgeranium.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/why-might-statins-cause-memory-loss-and.html

Going back to the link you posted on fatty liver, I really enjoyed his post, also the links he provided on fatty liver on Stephan Guyenet's website. It's encouraging to read three different reports on how the LCHF diet reversed fatty liver. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, you post some of the best links. Can't stop reading George's blog. The comment sections are equally interesting.

This post and comment section dove into the topic of vitamin K2, then developed into a fascinating discussion on statins... http://hopefulgeranium.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/why-might-statins-cause-memory-loss-and.html

Going back to the link you posted on fatty liver, I really enjoyed his post, also the links he provided on fatty liver on Stephan Guyenet's website. It's encouraging to read three different reports on how the LCHF diet reversed fatty liver. :)
I've been following George for a few years now and he has some great posts. Such a clever dude! The way he has healed his own health is nothing short of amazing.

It was such a validation of his work that Prof Grant Schofield has employed him as a researcher at AUT. He talks about George on his TEDx talk about an empowered public. If you haven't seen it:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm all about empowering people. Good talk, and nice way to honor George. :)

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks everyone for your comments and links, there is certainly a lot to read up on! :) I had my MRI scan two weeks ago and am nervously waiting for the results which should be due anytime.