Insulin pumps

Jennyw5786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are people's thoughts about insulin pumps as I would like to try. 1 as I can't seem to keep my blood sugar under control for the last few months

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on the pump for over 5 years and wouldn't go back to MDI. The ability to give different rates of basal at different times of the day makes a huge difference to my control.

Also, being able to use a temporary basal for exercise or illness, is wonderful.

It involves a lot of work but is worth it in the long run.

If you meet the NICE guidelines, your consultant will be able to put you forward for the pump. It can take quite a while to get the pump in some areas.

Reactions: 9 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have a look here http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/If you are told no for a pump, ask why. Make sure everything is in writing as to why not then work on the points raised. If still no joy then change hospitals.

Reactions: 4 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I've only been pumping for 11 days and I kid you not,it's very hard work to start with,but I can see the benefits in the future.Good luck.

Reactions: 11 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been pumping for over 3 years, I too would not go back to MDI. Be patient though, it is hard work to start with and I'd guess it was a good 3 months before it was second nature and I was "settled in", you do have to manage your basal settings on regular basis too. At first wearing a pump was a bit awkward, how to wear it, where to put it, but now I feel naked without it :)

Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The ability to adjust your basal rate throughout a 24 hour period together with the ease that you can deliver your bolus dose over an extended time period have to be two of the best things about using an insulin pump, although they are hard work in the initial stages of using one you do reap the rewards thereafter.

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have only been pumping for 4 months, it requires commitment and a huge amount of self motivation if you are to get the best from pumping. It is a steep learning curve (which I was well prepared for!) and the learning process will be continuous as the pump is adjusted to fit your lifestyle. The potential flexibility it can offer is superb, when you get the balance right which takes practice, practice and more practice- lots of trial and error! However I am much more confident now and would not go back to MDI. And for me the BEST reward of all last week at my clinic review my HBA1C has dropped to the best level I have had in 8 years!!!!! Consultant ecstatic..........me-feeling very proud of my efforts

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on my pump for just under 7 months now and I wouldn't give it up for the world.
As others have pointed out, it is very hard work but the flexibility is so much better.
I would say it is more difficult than MDI whereas people maybe think it could be an easy option.

Reactions: 10 people

Jennyw5786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to sound really thick but what is basal only got diagnosed 2 years ago and still learning a lot

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal is the background insulin. Yours is Levemir at the moment.

Jennyw5786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh right yes my levimir is not lasting the full 24 hours in my body either causing me to run high on a morning

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They might suggest you take two basal doses to improve you morning readings.

Reactions: 3 people

Jennyw5786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 2 levimir now 8 units morning and night but there still saying I don't meet criteria

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I am going to sound really thick but what is basal only got diagnosed 2 years ago and still learning a lot

Ha ha.. join the club! I was "really thick" about my diabetes until I came across this site; if it weren't for what I've learned through the forumers and the info via the main site, I'd be divorced, blind and probably dead from DKA by now.

If you've got a smartphone and the Kindle app, I wholeheartedly recommend getting:

"Your diabetes science experiment" by Ginger Viera, and, "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Richard Bernstein.

Otherwise, just start with the basics (via the homepage) and then search the forum for issues that you have questions about.

In the meantime, welcome to the madhouse - it'll change your life for the better if you stick with it.

Reactions: 2 people

Jennyw5786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never hypo at night will increase levimir at night see if that works I dka at the beginning wen first diagnosed and never want that happen again

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will need to meet the NICE criteria to get a pump, you can't just try one unfortunately. If you are over 18 basically that means trying to manage either insulin pens and not succeeding in getting your HBa1c into the required range without losing hypo awareness.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
You will need to meet the NICE criteria to get a pump, you can't just try one unfortunately. If you are over 18 basically that means trying to manage either insulin pens and not succeeding in getting your HBa1c into the required range without losing hypo awareness.

And ain't that the biggest irony: to misquote your post on another thread, "you have to be a total car crash" before they'll give you one, but they will remove it even more quickly if you remain one!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And ain't that the biggest irony: to misquote your post on another thread, "you have to be a total car crash" before they'll give you one, but they will remove it even more quickly if you remain one!

I wouldn't agree that you have to be a TOTAL car crash before but you certainly have to be working hard at doing the right thing but not getting good enough results - but maybe that's the postcode lottery!