day one - newcastle diet

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week four but had a bad couple of days after docs stressed me out, so feels like I am starting again now

Reactions: 2 people

skipworth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Helen, keep with it, diabetes has been around for as long as anyone can remember and the medics have a containment strategy that has coped and worked for the majority of diabetics, but this is something new to them and there guidelines haven't yet moved to account for it. Only you know how you feel and how your body is reacting, and as I said before, as long as you are careful and monitoring your situation, then you are minimising the risks to yourself and always have the option to go back to what you did before.
The only other thing I would caution you against is comparing your own progress with others, if you read all the entries around ND and what others have acheived, it is quite easy to become despondent and think you must be doing something wrong because they seem to doing so much better than you in terms of numbers, I know I do. Everyone is different and their body reacts differently, I know that I have felt that the ND mustn't be working for me as my BG refuses to go below 5.8 and still spikes after a meal at 8-9, but I do get the odd glimmer of something moving, like yesterday when my post meal BG reduced to 5.3. If I only knew why i would be onto a winner, but as it was after the same shake that I also had in the morning and that only went down to 6.3 I am confused as to what works and what doesn't. I guess quite a few would also be in the same position.
The upside is that my weekly average has dropped from 6.7 to 6.3, and as this is also without medication I am calling it a success. That is called being positive, something you have to be, even when it seems that things aren't working out. As regards weight, I don'y lnow how it is possible to gain weight on this diet, but I have, 4 weeks ago my weight was 175lbs on saturday 9 may I was 157lbs on Mon 159lbs and on Tuesday 160lbs. Today I am 159lbs again, and I am trying to avoid daily weighing as it seems my body is in a state of flux.

I am saying this because |I want you to know that it is a struggle for most of us, and spite reading of the success of others we don't all get the results we hoped for, and that you aren't by yourself in trying to get through it. The trick is to accept whatever is happening and get through it to the end and hope that it will turn out right. We are all hoping for a miracle but have to accept that it doesn't always happen and if it does it might take a bit longer than we thought. What is it they say, God loves a trier, well he should be adoring everyone trying this. lol

Hope you are feeling better, and remember Doctors and such can only advise, they aren't infallible and at the end of the day only you can be responsible for what happens to yourself, so take their words, always asking yourself is it based on facts and experience or ignorance or traditional opinions, evaluate them and then decide if they are right for you as not all medical opinions as invalid, and if not then after careful consideration of what you are doing, go for it. Deep breaths and calm considered conviction. It is always better if possible to have your GP on side, but if they are opposed without qualifying why then it is difficult to see how they could prevent you, but as I don't know your personal medical history it would be dangerous to express an opinion on their competence, they may know something about your conditions that makes them think it is not right for you, and if they do then they should tell you so your decisions are informed and clearly understood by yourself in order to help settle your mind and work towards relieving your stress.

And finally remember at the end if it doesn't work you are no worse than when you started

Good luck

Reactions: 10 people

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, these last couple of months I think I am experiencing diabetes burnout, so sick of appointments, people asking about food and sugar, no one in my family has diabetes so nobody really knows what its about so life around me is 'normal' while I feel like i'm on the outside looking in, trying to be positive but struggling big time. Everyones support on here is helping LOADS, so thanks again.

skipworth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in 2005, and quickly moved from diet only to gliclazide and metformin and then onto insulin within 4 years. I initially cut out any tinned food that had a sugar content over 2gms and tried to eat a healthier diet, but didn't know anything about carb control, so was eating bread, pasta and potatoes, all no no's for a diabetic. On insulin I was able to tolerate eating carbs, but at the expense of increasing the dosages. Fortunately my partner is sympathetic and goes along with my crazy schedule of weighing food etc. I wasn't ware at the time but on investigation I have found out that my fathers mother, uncles, aunts etc are or have been diabetics, so it does seem to run in my family.
I know diabetes can be a bit overwhelming and frightening if you think too far ahead, but it doesn't have to be.
Your life being a diabetic is now normal for you, but it doesn't have to mean that you change a lot. I am still eating normal meals, but without the heavy carbs, and apart from having had to inject 5 times a day before meals it is what you would call a pretty much normal lifestyle. You just have to take a little more care of yourself. The biggest problem for me is eating out, how much insulin do you take, so I generally under dose and then test when I get home and give myself a booster if its need.
If you think about what you do normally, what is that you feel is out of the ordinary, and cause you problems. I f you look at it you will more often find that unless you have other health issues, you can still do the things you want to, but you just need to think ahead, you can go walking, exercise and get about, but just have something on hand in case of emergencies like glucose, something I admit I tend to forget about, I have also been known to go out for a meal and leave my insulin at home, but its no big deal, I wait until I get back and then correct it.
I know its easy to say that diabetes shouldn't run (ruin) your life and that you should still enjoy it, and to a certain degree that is true, but until you experience the hopeless feeling that suddenly your body is out of your control, it is difficult to get around it. I think what you could really do with is someone you can actually talk things through with so you can get it clear in your head what you are going through. Please don't consider anti depressants unless you feel that you have no other choice. Have you tried to see if there is a local Diabetes.co.uk support group in your area, i don't know where you live in powys, but it may be worthwhile checking at your sugery or hospital is there is any groups that they are aware of. Remeber everything you are experiencing someone has probably gone throug as well, not much good to you I know, but just to let you know that it isn't as grey as it seems and that others can help if you need it.
Stay strong and positive, you have raised a family and that is an achievement, and I bet you didn't have any expereince before doing that, so keep your spirits up and recognise that you can do it, it may be harrd but yes you can do it.

Reactions: 4 people

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in 2005, and quickly moved from diet only to gliclazide and metformin and then onto insulin within 4 years. I initially cut out any tinned food that had a sugar content over 2gms and tried to eat a healthier diet, but didn't know anything about carb control, so was eating bread, pasta and potatoes, all no no's for a diabetic. On insulin I was able to tolerate eating carbs, but at the expense of increasing the dosages. Fortunately my partner is sympathetic and goes along with my crazy schedule of weighing food etc. I wasn't ware at the time but on investigation I have found out that my fathers mother, uncles, aunts etc are or have been diabetics, so it does seem to run in my family.
I know diabetes can be a bit overwhelming and frightening if you think too far ahead, but it doesn't have to be.
Your life being a diabetic is now normal for you, but it doesn't have to mean that you change a lot. I am still eating normal meals, but without the heavy carbs, and apart from having had to inject 5 times a day before meals it is what you would call a pretty much normal lifestyle. You just have to take a little more care of yourself. The biggest problem for me is eating out, how much insulin do you take, so I generally under dose and then test when I get home and give myself a booster if its need.
If you think about what you do normally, what is that you feel is out of the ordinary, and cause you problems. I f you look at it you will more often find that unless you have other health issues, you can still do the things you want to, but you just need to think ahead, you can go walking, exercise and get about, but just have something on hand in case of emergencies like glucose, something I admit I tend to forget about, I have also been known to go out for a meal and leave my insulin at home, but its no big deal, I wait until I get back and then correct it.
I know its easy to say that diabetes shouldn't run (ruin) your life and that you should still enjoy it, and to a certain degree that is true, but until you experience the hopeless feeling that suddenly your body is out of your control, it is difficult to get around it. I think what you could really do with is someone you can actually talk things through with so you can get it clear in your head what you are going through. Please don't consider anti depressants unless you feel that you have no other choice. Have you tried to see if there is a local Diabetes.co.uk support group in your area, i don't know where you live in powys, but it may be worthwhile checking at your sugery or hospital is there is any groups that they are aware of. Remeber everything you are experiencing someone has probably gone throug as well, not much good to you I know, but just to let you know that it isn't as grey as it seems and that others can help if you need it.
Stay strong and positive, you have raised a family and that is an achievement, and I bet you didn't have any expereince before doing that, so keep your spirits up and recognise that you can do it, it may be harrd but yes you can do it.

Thank you!! :)

skipworth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Helen, if it helps to show how nearly normal you can be with eating, here is what I am eating today, for breakfast and lunch I have had meal replacement drinks, caffee lattee for breakfast, and chocolate for lunch, bot h by shake that weight, but other brands are feely available, they are 12.5gm of carb and 131 calories each. For dinner I am having chicken with salad, 150 gm of chicken, basically a chicken leg, 50gms of cooked beetroot, 50gms of cucumber, 50gms of lettuce, 80gms of peppers, 30gm spring onion, 100gm of tomatoes and a fench dressing on the salad. This is approx 15 carbs and 370 calories, taking my daily totals to approx 40 carbs and 632calories. I may have an apple or pear for supper if I feel hungry. with this I am drinking approx 1 and a half litres of water which is less than I probably should drink.
If the rest of the family need extra they could have potatoes, bread or rice with the salad, so you all feel as if you having the same meal.

Last night my meal was duck breast and a stir fry without the rice, again the calories were about 340. I have taken a differnt course for the ND as I am eating some protein with my main meal as I know I couldn't go 8 weeks with just salad or veg, this way I don't feel it is hard or unmanageable, and I have lost 18lbs in 4 and half weeks, so it is reducing my weight, but perhaps not as fast as others, but my starting point was 12stone 7, so it might be harder to lose weight from a lower starting weight.

Hope this helps,

David

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Helen, if it helps to show how nearly normal you can be with eating, here is what I am eating today, for breakfast and lunch I have had meal replacement drinks, caffee lattee for breakfast, and chocolate for lunch, bot h by shake that weight, but other brands are feely available, they are 12.5gm of carb and 131 calories each. For dinner I am having chicken with salad, 150 gm of chicken, basically a chicken leg, 50gms of cooked beetroot, 50gms of cucumber, 50gms of lettuce, 80gms of peppers, 30gm spring onion, 100gm of tomatoes and a fench dressing on the salad. This is approx 15 carbs and 370 calories, taking my daily totals to approx 40 carbs and 632calories. I may have an apple or pear for supper if I feel hungry. with this I am drinking approx 1 and a half litres of water which is less than I probably should drink.
If the rest of the family need extra they could have potatoes, bread or rice with the salad, so you all feel as if you having the same meal.

Last night my meal was duck breast and a stir fry without the rice, again the calories were about 340. I have taken a differnt course for the ND as I am eating some protein with my main meal as I know I couldn't go 8 weeks with just salad or veg, this way I don't feel it is hard or unmanageable, and I have lost 18lbs in 4 and half weeks, so it is reducing my weight, but perhaps not as fast as others, but my starting point was 12stone 7, so it might be harder to lose weight from a lower starting weight.

Hope this helps,

David

It does!! thank you :)

skipworth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, here a few more meal plans you might consider. They are all a variant on the ND but try to keep to the calorie count. The only downside is that you may find your BG levels may be a little higher as a result of eating protein which can be converted into glucose if carbs are not present, but you don't get a massive spike.

150gms of roast pork, This has become my sunday roast meal, 75gms cabbage, 75gms of Runner beans and 145gms of cauliflower, about 10 carbs and 346 calories, don't forget the gravy as well. The family can have all of this plus roast potatoes if they want.

150gms of haddock, (or pretty much any white fish), 150gms of cauliflower, (has become the replacement potato) 100gms of frozen peas and parsley sauce - 15carbs and approx 290 calories

How about a stir fry, prawns 150gms, onion 35gm, mushroom 30gms and courgette 185gms (cut into long stips, a bit like spaghetti and then qucikly fired in a little oil) all cooked with soy sauce and chinese 5 spices. carbs 10gm calories 366. The family can have this with rice if they want, although I find that I don't miss it.

Having protein added into the diet helps me get through it enormously and makes meals not that much defferent for everyone else, you just avoid the high carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta and bread.

I'm sure if you think about what you all eat for your meals, as long as they aren't take aways you can pretty much all eat the same things, just for you without the carbs, so life isn't that different, and it isn't a crime to have an occassional slip, as long as it is occassional say for a special occassion.

I find that after these meals I spike at around 8-9 and then come back down to around 6, but I think that as I am eating protein the recovery time is slightly longer than if it was just carbs, so it can take up to 3-4 hours to get back to an acceptable level. Not strictly following the ND I know but I think you do whatever it takes for yourself and don't beat yourself up about what others are manging in comparison, I know I couldn't do just salad and veggie so I adapt to something I can manage whilst still trying to keep within the calories ratio.

The key will be to keep on eye on your BG readings before and after meals, then you can judge if it is working for you, and if it isn't then you can adpat to something that does work for you.

Keep at it, you will get to the end.

Reactions: 4 people

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These aRe brilliant ideas, thank you so much. Just what I need to feel more 'normal'.

skipworth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad this may have helped, but remember it is your confidence that is important and how you feel, not others. The more you can do to continue with your life without significantly changing things can only help. Diabetes is a condition not a sentence, making the dietary changes whilst keeping it as normal as possible will only help you and your family, especially if they struggle to fully grasp what diabetes means.

If you want any more ideas please let me know

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Helen, my doctor wasn't very supportive either, though he at least didn't call what I wanted to do "crazy" and he agreed to allow me a few months to try diet first even though my blood glucose levels were very high. (My blood glucose levels, by the way, came down within a month. Two-thirds to three-quarters of my blood glucose readings are now below 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L). That's not low enough, but good for now.)

You won't know what you can accomplish until you give it your best go. :)

@helenjones and @skipworth, as a type 2 diabetic that crossed over to diabetes sometime after 2006, uses diet and exercise only, and takes no medication to manage blood glucose, some foods mentioned may be problematic. I ignored my diabetes until this year so am very carb intolerant.

I am not able to tolerate sugars; grains; fruits; starchy carbs (vegetables that grow under the ground); or beans (legumes). Bottled salad dressings also are problematic because they almost all have added sugar. These foods cause big spikes for me. Tomatoes are problematic too.

For a salad dressing, a simple vinaigrette of 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, shaken, works well. There are other vinaigrettes as well, do a search on "vinaigrette recipes" to find one you like.

I don't eat processed foods, sugar, fruit, or grains. They spike my blood glucose too much. But I can have a few berries as part of or immediately following a meal. And I eat small amounts of 70% - 85% dark chocolate daily, and enjoy a glass of dry red wine nightly too. I drink a cup of coffee a few mornings a week, and all the black tea and green tea I want, water too of course.

I do have small amounts of starchy carbs such as carrots as part of a meal occasionally. By small amount, I mean a 2" length of a carrot. I do this because I want to eat as many colorful vegetables as I can on a weekly basis. I have berries too, but only in small amounts, perhaps one to two tablespoons at a time. No luck with potatoes or sweet potatoes though. :(

I'll have a tablespoon to a quarter cup of beans, perhaps once a week, again, as part of a meal.

All that said, I otherwise eat normally, though I eat whole foods only, and low carb. I eat daily meat, poultry, eggs, cheese, loads of non-starchy vegetables and leafy greens prepared in all kinds of interesting ways, nuts, butter, extra virgin olive oil, vinegars, occasionally cream or plain yogurt (no added sugars), sometimes berries too.

Helen, losing the weight is a great place to start. From what I've read here, the ND has helped a lot of people. When the time comes to begin eating food at each meal again, visit us on the Low Carb forum, and we'll support you through the transition.

Thank you Helen for sharing your experiences as you continue on the ND. I lost 12 pounds earlier this year. It helped. Hope you lose some or all of the weight. And thank you skipworth for your encouraging and empowering words for Helen, us too.

Helen, I hope you continue to share your progress. It's been two steps forward, one step back the whole way for me. But it's progress! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

scooby2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys... i have read this thread with great interest. Ok if i tag along and join you on Nd ☺

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys... i have read this thread with great interest. Ok if i tag along and join you on Nd ☺
You are very welcome @scooby2, I am returning to it tomorrow after having a miserable two weeks, so hoping to stick it out for longer . Good luck you are prime candidate for reversal

scooby2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @helenjones. I am on day to now. Mind you it takes some thinking through. Im struggling keeping count on calories at moment. Sorry to hear you have had a miserable 2 weeks. We can do this. ☺

helenjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am using Exante products. Hopefully will lose some weight and begin to feel better, thanks, good luck to us all, this thing is bloody hard!

scooby2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am using Exante products. Hopefully will lose some weight and begin to feel better, thanks, good luck to us all, this thing is bloody hard!
You are right helen it is hard but results will be worth it im sure. Day 3 for me today ☺im trying a mixture of shakes at the moment. Ultra slim from tescos and phd diet whey which is very low carbs. Im also using soya or almond milk to mix them. So far no bg spikes.
Good luck with your day 1. Xx