Detaching 640g

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For all you 640g users, have you noticed that when you detach the pump, e.g. for a shower, the insulin rises up from the set end towards the pump? Yesterday there was about an inch of air in the tubing but today only about quarter of an inch.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my pump because this never happened with my Veo.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
dancer,I've certainly not had this problem with the 640g.If you are worried give the Medtronic help line a ring.Good luck.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
No problem with my pump after shower

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't noticed this happening @dancer and I don't seem to have had any issues with air in the tubing when reconnecting but I will keep an eye on it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It happens with majority of pumps whether left running or not.
I always prime some through tubes or cannulas etc after disconnecting for swimming, bath or shower. Accuchek tubes on old combo always experienced "suckback", new Insights not quite so bad but still happens. Well worth a prime to be sure...

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Cant say that Ive experienced any 'suck back' on the Combo or the Vibe but am wondering if its because I always leave the pump in run mode and place it on my pillow and let the tube dangle downwards over the side of the bed so any insulin is always being pushed downwards

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Never turn off my pump and always left vertical.
It may be because you leave on bed and mine always left on shelf in bathrooms to drip insulin on a wipeable floor as I can smell an insulin drip a mile off and couldn't stand it if it got on to bedding or carpet.
May be that the difference us room temperatures/steam/heat when we take them off.. Or even the amount of time they are left. Mine could well be up to 90 minutes!!

Reactions: 2 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I phoned Medtronic this morning, explained what had been happening, and added that I wondered if the unexpected high I had this morning was due to the pump coming off my nightie during the night and lying lower than the set.

I was asked to do a self test then remove the reservoir and shake the pump. Apparently your not supposed to hear anything but I could. I thought that maybe it was the clip but it wasn't.

Medtronic is sending me a new pump which I'll receive tomorrow morning.

Great service from Medtronic!

Reactions: 7 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I received my 3rd 640G on Friday and by Sunday I knew I had the same problem.

I knew that no one else seemed to have this problem so, when I phoned on Monday, I asked if it could be something as simple as a bad batch of reservoirs and/or Mio sets. I received new ones this morning and (touch wood) it looks as if everything is OK now.

When I'm positive all's well, I'll tell you the lot numbers of the sets and reservoirs I'm returning.

Reactions: 7 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
what was the outcome of this dancer?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
what was the outcome of this dancer?
I actually created another thread giving the lot numbers, just in case it affected other pump users. Sorry, I should have posted them here too.

Things were fine for a while but then I started checking every time I disconnected (I was having lots of highs). It doesn't happen all the time but, when using "Fill cannula" to make sure there's no air there, up to 0.3 units of air comes out before the insulin does.

The other week, I was getting rid of a bubble in the tubing. It seemed to be taking longer than usual to come through the tubing so I raised the pump higher than the end of the tubing and the bubble started moving more quickly. I haven't told Medtronic about that as this is my 3rd 640G and no one else seems to be having problems, just me.:( I still think there must be some kind of problem with pressure.

Normally my pump is higher than my site but I do wonder about night time when I could easily lie in such a way that the site is higher than the pump. If I'm high in the morning but was fine before bed, I wonder if there was a "pressure problem" during the night.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Thankyou for the reply, I do hope this gets sorted out for you though as it must be a worry and a pain in the bum