I've been a bad bad girl ...

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Last year I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and to be honest it was a shock. Even though diabetes runs in my family (mum and gran both went blind because of their type 2) I'd mostly been slim and fit. For the first couple of months I checked this board and it was great, there were loads of suggestions and support from the other members. But then I started to get complacent. One day I'd forget to check the board, then the next day I didn't have the time to go online, and before I knew it I'd gone a couple of months without going on the site. I thought "Well, it can't be too bad, at least I'm relatively well controlled" But then came the crunch time - my brother (who has been epileptic for over 30 years) suffered from a series of fits which left him very vulnerable. He lives on his own and so I spent a lot of time looking after him (and my autistic son, who is also suffering from depression) and not looking after myself. Combined with a bad back I got hardly any exercise and my weight started creeping up. Instead of taking a step back and thinking logically I started comfort eating which of course led to more side effects(bad back getting worse, elevated FBG readings, menopausal symptoms getting worse etc.)

But now I've turned the corner. I'm having my next HbA1c in September and I realised that if I don't do something now things could get a whole lot worse. My doctor said that the next step will be to put me on medication which I want to avoid if at all possible. So this is attempt number 2. My biggest problem has been reverting back to my original diet so I'll be scouring the recipe thread to find something new, exciting and low-carb! Watch this space folks, I'll be back!

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last year I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and to be honest it was a shock. Even though diabetes runs in my family (mum and gran both went blind because of their type 2) I'd mostly been slim and fit. For the first couple of months I checked this board and it was great, there were loads of suggestions and support from the other members. But then I started to get complacent. One day I'd forget to check the board, then the next day I didn't have the time to go online, and before I knew it I'd gone a couple of months without going on the site. I thought "Well, it can't be too bad, at least I'm relatively well controlled" But then came the crunch time - my brother (who has been epileptic for over 30 years) suffered from a series of fits which left him very vulnerable. He lives on his own and so I spent a lot of time looking after him (and my autistic son, who is also suffering from depression) and not looking after myself. Combined with a bad back I got hardly any exercise and my weight started creeping up. Instead of taking a step back and thinking logically I started comfort eating which of course led to more side effects(bad back getting worse, elevated FBG readings, menopausal symptoms getting worse etc.)

But now I've turned the corner. I'm having my next HbA1c in September and I realised that if I don't do something now things could get a whole lot worse. My doctor said that the next step will be to put me on medication which I want to avoid if at all possible. So this is attempt number 2. My biggest problem has been reverting back to my original diet so I'll be scouring the recipe thread to find something new, exciting and low-carb! Watch this space folks, I'll be back!
Wow you have had a lot to deal with and slipped back to old ways but at least you have realized that you have to do something about it now. Time to get yourself back on here and start getting things under control. Cut your carbs and sugar down and hopefully you will see a big difference in how you're feeling and your bg should improve too. You need to get into the habit of testing before and 2 hours after each meal to identify what spikes your bg. Hopefully you will stick around here this time and find all the help and support you need.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Wow you have had a lot to deal with and slipped back to old ways but at least you have realized that you have to do something about it now. Time to get yourself back on here and start getting things under control. Cut your carbs and sugar down and hopefully you will see a big difference in how you're feeling and your bg should improve too. You need to get into the habit of testing before and 2 hours after each meal to identify what spikes your bg. Hopefully you will stick around here this time and find all the help and support you need.
Thanks Gezzabelle, I'm not making that mistake again! Today was my shopping day so I stocked up on good things like greek yoghurt and fresh berries instead of packets of cereal! I've bookmarked the site and now I'll make time to visit each day. I also stocked up on test strips so I don't have the excuse to not test. I'm 42 now and the last thing I want is to end up like my mum and gran.

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Gezzabelle, I'm not making that mistake again! Today was my shopping day so I stocked up on good things like greek yoghurt and fresh berries instead of packets of cereal! I've bookmarked the site and now I'll make time to visit each day. I also stocked up on test strips so I don't have the excuse to not test. I'm 42 now and the last thing I want is to end up like my mum and gran.[Good to hear you sounding much more positive now. I have only been diagnosed a short while but have learned fast what I can and can't do and more to the point what i HAVE to do. There is no half way measure....if I want to live a long and healthy life I have to make the changes necessary and I have and will. You can too and this forum is so much help and support to everyone who comes here. You CAN do this :)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Make it a habit, when you stop for a break, a cuppa, log in and see what's going on if only for a few moments. There are loads of recipes here lots of help too,, test all your foods before and after eating, you will soon get back on track. Also, don't beat yourself up about 'lapsing' we all fall down now and again. I have not been an angel the last week (a biscuit here n there and some toast) my levels increased and I put a pound on and that was enough to pull be back, the pound has now gone and I don't intend finding it again. Good luck

Reactions: 3 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks again, just like with my son's depression I'm taking this one day at a time. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Sometimes those who care for others forget to look after themselves........ However, your new outlook will give you some more energy to spread around.

Reactions: 5 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Make it a habit, when you stop for a break, a cuppa, log in and see what's going on if only for a few moments. There are loads of recipes here lots of help too,, test all your foods before and after eating, you will soon get back on track. Also, don't beat yourself up about 'lapsing' we all fall down now and again. I have not been an angel the last week (a biscuit here n there and some toast) my levels increased and I put a pound on and that was enough to pull be back, the pound has now gone and I don't intend finding it again. Good luck
Thanks Poohtiggy (awesome name by the way!) I'm going to write down my favourite recipes from the low carb thread and use these as inspiration.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I certainly hope so - tiredness and headaches have been some of the most inconvenient symptoms

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much

Hi well there alot you have to tend with, but have you tried the Newcastle diet?? just need to cut down on the sugars and carbs. Eat plenty of vegetables , low fat yogurt mixed with andt type of berries ,

have alot on this site

http://www.shakethatweight.co.uk/

maybe able to help

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I was a bad girl yesterday but by this morning I'd forgiven myself.:) A friend came round and I couldn't be bothered to cook so we drove into the village where there's a dine in chippy, the fish n chips are to die for. I skipped the bread n butter but had a portion of mushy peas. One meal, one evening, no harm done
On Sunday evenings they do fish in Gluten free batter mmm:depressed:

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a bad girl yesterday but by this morning I'd forgiven myself.:) A friend came round and I couldn't be bothered to cook so we drove into the village where there's a dine in chippy, the fish n chips are to die for. I skipped the bread n butter but had a portion of mushy peas. One meal, one evening, no harm done
On Sunday evenings they do fish in Gluten free batter mmm:depressed:
Same for me today.....very, very bad....scared me a bit so lesson learned

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi well there alot you have to tend with, but have you tried the Newcastle diet?? just need to cut down on the sugars and carbs. Eat plenty of vegetables , low fat yogurt mixed with andt type of berries ,

have alot on this site

http://www.shakethatweight.co.uk/

maybe able to help
Thanks Ty Ty, I've bookmarked that site. I've started having greek yoghurt with berries for my breakfast so that's a good start.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lol as you said before we all lapse every once in a while :) I live opposite student accommodation so the road I walk down to visit my doctor is takeaways takeaways and more takeaways! I make sure my appointments are for first thing in the morning so I don't have to walk past them when they're open :D

Reactions: 3 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
That a good start to make your appointments in the morning

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm seeing my practice nurse every fortnight so she can weigh me and keep an eye on my blood pressure and BG. I thought this would help keep me on the straight and narrow :)

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Well you seem to have a good nurse ,it will power too