Coping

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, this thought has been in my mind since the day my son was diagnosed months ago. To those who has it for such a long time, How did you managed to cope? Are you still coping? What were your thoughts of having this life long disease? Is there still some things scares you related to diabetes? How did you managed to bounce back after failures of managing this disease? What lessons you've learned so far living with diabetes?
And what advice can you give to the newly diagnose?
Thank you. x

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my name is Gary and I've been a Type1 diabetic for 36yrs. There's no doubt about it in so much that it is a dramatic event to happen to anyone and it's by no means an easy thing to come to terms with for your son and yourself. It is however an illness that can be mastered in order for your son to enjoy his life just like anyone else. You did not mention his age so I'm not sure at what level he can be in understanding what's happened to him. Education in things like dosages and the length of time the insulin can work for together with knowing what food values such as carbohydrate values are essential and will over time become second nature to him.
Yes there will be more than likely a few minor set backs on the way, but if there are, then he must learn to pick himself up and dust himself down and learn from the experience. He will I'm sure, develop a strong sense of character through it and enjoy life to the full. This has never prevented me in doing anything I feel capable of doing such as travelling, playing and competing in sport, becoming a Grandfather and even earning a reasonable wage.
I wish you all the very best for the future and I'm sure he will grow up into a normal happy and responsible young man. ;)

Reactions: 12 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Was just about to write a reply then seen Gary's post above which just about sums things up, diabetes doesn't define who we are and it shouldn't stop your son doing the things he wants to do in life @ivm18.

Reactions: 7 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I've been type 1 for more than 52 years and Gary61 is spot on.I certainly can't give any better advice.

Reactions: 8 people

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Because of you (besides my immediate family) and your words of wisdom that I am capable of keeping my insanity intact, without your advices and encouragement I do not know where am I to these days. During those first few days/weeks after my son's diagnosis this forum helped and still helping us a LOT.
As what I've said earlier on my previous posts here, we don't have much help and support here in my country, My son ( almost 14 yrs.old) is definitely a trooper, ever since diagnosis day he doesn't seem very much upset, though I still have this fear that depression and burnout will get to him one day, or maybe it is just me being paranoid of those 'what its'. I tried and still trying my very best not to show him that I am still sad on what happened to him, I know feeling this way is no help for our current situation. He is my sweet and kind boy, he is very empathetic to everyone, he loves nature and animals, he doesn't talked back to anyone, never that I know of he spoke bad words to anyone. He is just a laid back teen. It's just really sad that sometimes life is unfair.

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thank you ivm18,I've lead a very good life and have done and achieved every thing I have wanted to,I have 4 wonderful children and 7 grandchildren and none of them has diabetes.I have only a couple or minor diabetic complications.Providing he looks after his diabetes,he can live a long and happy life.I have just started a new adventure,I have started on a insulin pump and yes I intend to be post on the forum for a good many more years.I wish you and your son good luck and good Heath.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My dad told me there would be a cure in my life time.... 30+ years on.. Not yet.

However, I live in the hope that there will be better, easier living for the next generation.

I intentionally give blood for research annually for 10 years in the hope that it may help research studies.

A lot of folk here take place in trials etc and as much as without help then the cure will be longer...

However, huge advancements have been made in 30 years that I have been diagnosed and for me I get involved for younger persons to have the great improvements-but better for the future.

Its not a life sentence but it can have a few ups and downs!!

Reactions: 4 people