Powerful TEDx Talk on Diabetes, Obesity, and the Low Carb Diet by Sarah Hallberg MD

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I happened upon this 18 minute TEDx presentation today while rewatching Jason Fung lectures. I checked, and it's already been posted, but it's so good it deserves its own topic. Powerful presentation. She really nailed it. See for yourself...

Reactions: 21 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I happened upon this 18 minute TEDx presentation today while rewatching Jason Fung lectures. I checked, and it's already been posted, but it's so good it deserves its own topic. Powerful presentation. She really nailed it. See for yourself...

Agree..very powerful and it opens your eyes to possible misconceptions about what we should be eating. Be good if UK doctors took it on board

Reactions: 6 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks for posting - v interesting

Reactions: 2 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Agree..very powerful and it opens your eyes to possible misconceptions about what we should be eating. Be good if UK doctors took it on board
Well here is at least one UK doctor that agrees with every word in that presentation !

For someone with type two diabetes sugar is poison and starchy foods like bread pasta and rice are actually concentrated sugar.
The only problem is the permanent giving up of all forms of sugar For many of my patients it's a stark choice -give up carbs or remain diabetic.
The good news is a low carb high fat diet is tasty as well as healthy.

Like the doctor in the presentation I am on the diet even tho not a diabetic I started over two years ago to check how it would be for my patients and was surprised how well I felt!

Reactions: 26 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For many of my patients it's a stark choice -give up carbs or remain diabetic.

And then there are the many, like myself, who give up carbs and remain diabetic.

It really isn't my intention to derail, or be confrontational, but with the current popularity for 'reversing' diabetes, I always feel I have to speak up for those of us type 2s who can control our blood glucose with low carb but whose diabetes is not (and may never have been) reversible.

I think the recent rise in popularity for low carbing is wonderful.
It's a step forward, and it's common sense.

But I can also foresee a time when low carbing is used as a stick to beat people.
'Still diabetic? You must be eating too many carbs. Eat less!'
'I can't. I'm living on coconut and olive oil, kale and oily fish.'
'You are still fat so you must be cheating. Try harder!'​

Sorry.
Apparently it is my turn to rant, this evening.
(Says the woman who has been low carbing for most of the last 30 yrs, and who is still fat, and still type 2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 17 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I share your frustration Brunneria. I think for some, reversing diabetes is doable with genuine effort and ongoing commitment, for others not. The more I learn about the microbiome, the more I think there's possibilities there.

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
And then there are the many, like myself, who give up carbs and remain diabetic.

It really isn't my intention to derail, or be confrontational, but with the current popularity for 'reversing' diabetes, I always feel I have to speak up for those of us type 2s who can control our blood glucose with low carb but whose diabetes is not (and may never have been) reversible.
I think the recent rise in popularity for low carbing is wonderful.
It's a step forward, and it's common sense.

But I can also foresee a time when low carbing is used as a stick to beat people.
'Still diabetic? You must be eating too many carbs. Eat less!'
'I can't. I'm living on coconut and olive oil, kale and oily fish.'
'You are still fat so you must be cheating. Try harder!'​

Sorry.
Apparently it is my turn to rant, this evening.
(Says the woman who has been low carbing for most of the last 30 yrs, and who is still fat, and still type 2)
Fair point Brunneria

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well here is at least one UK doctor that agrees with every word in that presentation !

The only problem is the permanent giving up of all forms of sugar For many of my patients it's a stark choice -give up carbs or be diabetic

They have a choice!

I don't!!!!!!

Low carb has changed and saved my life!

Reactions: 4 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For many who find this forum I think the point is that their official advice upto now has NOT included the option of low carb high fat
A related worry for me is through my career I've noticed type two diabetics are presenting DECADES younger than when I qualified in medicine in 1982 And that the condition is many times more common now too.
I wonder if the dangers of sugar are appreciated enough so that folk can make informed choices about their diet
I do admit this has lead to me being something of an anti-sugar extremist though, some would say I go on about it rather !!

Reactions: 15 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For many who find this forum I think the point is that their official advice upto now has NOT included the option of low carb high fat
A related worry for me is through my career I've noticed type two diabetics are presenting DECADES younger than when I qualified in medicine in 1982 And that the condition is many times more common now too.
I wonder if the dangers of sugar are appreciated enough so that folk can make informed choices about their diet
I do admit this has lead to me being something of an anti-sugar extremist though, some would say I go on about it rather !!

I have had a warning by management about talking about my medical history and what I've done and successfully achieved by my very low carb diet. Especially to those who have never.had experience of endocrine problems.
If we need a plumber or such on my site, he is forewarned.

I believe I am a low carb warrior, a very nice (boring) warrior!!

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These TED talks are brilliant..! There is a great one on (dare I say it) "orgasms" which followed on in a link after a talk on causes of T2.

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Great talk! I reversed my Hba1c from 12 %-5.8% in 3-4 months of LCHF and exercise. I'm really not sure what people mean by reverse.I have reversed my numbers a lot without drugs but when I experimented last month and ate some carbs,I still spiked quite high when I ate cake or bread and went to 8 or so with so called healthy whole grains.Now back on LCHF my numbers are perfect again.
So what is reversal.........a cure where you can eat carbs like a normal person? Or maintaining non-diabetic blood glucose numbers only when on LCHF?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is not a cure!
It is a state of being in total control of your blood glucose levels.
You can still try and eat low carbs, but, why?

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Yeah I hoped reversal was a cure,some people give that impression but I suppose it's too good to be true. I think I will keep to low carb, started feeling bad when I ate carbs again and my symptoms started up again.I think it's the only way I will stay in control without taking medication :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats Yvonne49!

By reversal, what I want is blood glucose in the non-diabetic range of 83 - 120 mg/dL which would be 4.1 - 6.7 mmol/L in the UK.

Right now my daily blood glucose is more in the 105 - 145 mg/dL range, which is a lot better than it was three months ago. There's more things for me to try. My hope is to get there without medication. :)

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Thanks,yeah I should be happy I have my blood glucose in the normal range and feel good.It did take a lot of work,weight loss,low carb and plenty exercise.
Every now and then though I dream of my former carb filled lifestyle :). But that made me ill so I am trying to find loads of nice low carb meals and desserts so I don't feel deprived.
Good luck getting your numbers down all the way,I'm sure you can.If I can do it,a former fatty and carb lover,you can :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

I have officially been warned off from discussing lower carb with anybody at all that I come into contact with via my PPG.

I would love to invite you up to visit our PPG and do a presentation for us!!! Just to show how small minded some Practices and their staff are.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you can't get Southport GP to go, maybe you as a diabetic should do one instead. With your experience in helping posters, it should be a breeze for you!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you can't get Southport GP to go, maybe you as a diabetic should do one instead. With your experience in helping posters, it should be a breeze for you!

Would do but my Practice totally ban any discussion at all ref lower carbs with any patients or GPs or DSNs. A total ban. No mention, no discussion. Zilch.

When a GP tries to push statins with a Total reading only... And because they have not got "intolerant to statins" on their records.. Well its BANGHEAD time!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs I presume this is because they can't be sued for following NHS guidelines but if it goes wrong doing something different they are open for legal claims?

Class Action against the NHS anyone?

Reactions: 7 people