The Newcastle VLCD

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having received a fair warning from my doc about my progressing syndrome X, and keeping a eye on my blood glucose with my Accucheck, I was getting pretty concerned about my slide into Type 2 D.

This was my motivation so last week started the VLCD off the Newcastle Research site, and although the first week has been tough, Im blown away by the results.

My BG went from average 9/10 and occasionally 15/18 and has now gone down to 4.8. It started dropping after the first 3 days and drops a fraction each day or so.

Although I felt absolutely exhausted on the 3 and 4 day, I must admit I feel really good now my body has changed to fat burning in the absence of carbs.

I checked up on Nestle Optifast and cant get it here without a prescription, and my Doc doesn't advocate VLCD, so bought Nestle Meritene, from my Surgery's pharmacy.

Its 200Kcal per sachet and is loaded with all the right vits. and seems a fine substitute for Optifast.

I am finding it pretty ok at 200Kcal a meal, and am still surprised just how much veg you can eat for that amount. My main meal today was Quorn Shepherds pie, Broccoli, Asparagus, Cabbage and Cauli Flower....with flax seeds sprinkled over and a drizzle of Walnut oil....Brilliant

I am definitely going to continue with this now as I feel so good and can feel the waistline easing. So when I get down to the weight I want will start the exercises again.

Has anyone findings from further on down the VLCD route?

Thanks
Fuggs

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people