Dosage Concern from Regular Metformin to SR Metformin (Glucophage)

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI,

Just writing as i thought I read somewhere about Dr making mistakes on working out the calculation from switching from regular Metformin to Slow Release Metformin.

I was on 3x500 regular metformin but I kept getting crushing chest pains from time to time within 15mins of take a pill.

Dr has now put me on the slow release variety (he spent ages reading several things making calculations) and then just prescribed effectively 1500mg per day of SR Metformin

1x500 in the morning
1x1000 to be taken with evening meal.

My concern was (as I've just got them) that he was concerned....

Anyone else taking SR Metformin (branded Glucophage)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of us here take SR metformin - I usually have a different brand but have been issued with Glucophage a couple of time without any problems.

You can look at the leaflet that accompanies the packs if you are concerned still about side effects.

Robbity

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am on metformin but do not think it is slow release does it say SR on the box if so then I am not on it :confused:

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Speak to your pharmacist. They are the drug experts.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
There is no difference in the dosage between metformin and sr metformin the only difference is the speed at which it is relaesed, SR just means slow release.

The current maximum dose of metformin is 2000mg split 2 x 500mg with breakfast and 2 x 500mg with your evening meal, met should always be taken with food to minimise any unwanted stomach problems.

Some people have been prescribed a higher doses in the past but that is no longer recommended by NICE.

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sid, thanks for that I thought I'd read differently somewhere which was why wanted some info from people on SR, thanks

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on metformin but do not think it is slow release does it say SR on the box if so then I am not on it :confused:
My husbands say.. film coated tablets... on the box don't know if that is the same as SR He takes 2x 500g with food twice a day and has never had any tummy problems with them

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no difference in the dosage between metformin and sr metformin the only difference is the speed at which it is relaesed, SR just means slow release.

The current maximum dose of metformin is 2000mg split 2 x 500mg with breakfast and 2 x 500mg with your evening meal, met should always be taken with food to minimise any unwanted stomach problems.

Some people have been prescribed a higher doses in the past but that is no longer recommended by NICE.

I'm on 850mg 3 x a day (total 2550mg)