Discussion SpotOn - an insulin dosage prediction app

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will have a go, pancreas seems to have finally died of and stopped causing trouble. in the process of working out my ratios and any help would be appreciated

Hi encore1332!

Thanks so much for your interest! However, I'm afraid that at the moment the app is in such an early stage of development that I would not recommend to use it when your dosage is not yet fine-tuned. Sorry, I hope you understand.

However, once the app is a bit more proven it will be able to help you fine-tune your dosage!

Reactions: 2 people

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody,

The app has a new update and I'm looking for more testers! Please contact me if you're interested!!

Learning is the future!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just want to endorse this project. It could be a great app. Get involved and help shape it! :)

reamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're still looking for testers then I'll give it a go. I have to record every little thing in my phone anyway. It sounds promising if it works

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there :)

Great! I'm happy to hear that you're interested!

You can download the app here. There is a manual, which is a bit outdated, but describes the necessary steps for installing the app here.

If you have any questions, just post them here, send me a message or send me an email via spotonapplication (at) gmail (dot) com. I'll be happy to help, get feedback and new suggestions! I'll try to get back to you within 24h.

As I said, this is currently under development, so I'm sure there is still plenty to do. Since I programmed this app myself, I probably won't see inconsistencies like you will, therefore I'd be really happy to receive some feedback from you!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suggest we keep all the user / tester feedback here on this thread. So we can drop the PM thread we were using. PM is very unwieldy anyway. And it is much better to share the information and keep it public.

Reactions: 3 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. This is an interesting project.
I've downloaded the app & set up my model - I think you need to add a help file to explain the model set up or perhaps an instructions post here on the forum.
I'd like to see a prediction at say 15/30 minute intervals with a graph to make it more interesting.
Software wise, it did crash several times & I have exited unintentionally. A good start though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few thoughts so far:

Could you explain what the variables are in the Bolus Wizard formula?

I keep using the Android "Back" button expecting to go back to the previous screen within the program but it exits. Easy enough to restart but a little irritating!

Not sure how to use "Missed Entry".

The 4 hour results so far have been too low but I think I need to re think some of my parameters.

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI DunePlodder,

Great to hear that you like the project! Concerning your questions:

Yes, I think you're right. I will update the manual describing the set-up of the model! Also back button behaviour is something that I could work on. However, this is common to all android apps with the "drawer" layout.

I'd like to see a prediction at say 15/30 minute intervals with a graph to make it more interesting.
You actually can, by clicking on the "predicted value in 4 hours". Note that this value is based on the "learning algorithm". There are basically two prediction algorithms running in parallel in the app:
The first you set up by setting your model. It then uses the static formula you see when entering insulin to predict the required dosage.
The second uses all the values you entered and tries to learn the relationship between entered BG value, carbs and dose to estimate the factors. The estimated factors you can see by clicking on menu (top right) --> model output. It will only work, however, once you've entered a number of days (~5-10) and repeatedly updated the model

Could you explain what the variables are in the Bolus Wizard formula?
Not sure how to use "Missed Entry".
The 4 hour results so far have been too low but I think I need to re think some of my parameters.
1) two sets of variables each for every period of the day. Carbohydrate ratio: How many units of insulin do you need for each gram of carbs. Correction factor: How much does your BG value drop for unit of insulin.
2) Missed entry: please use it if you missed to enter something (carbs, insulin, sport) BEFORE entering the next BG measurement. This ensures that the prediction algorithm associates the cause-effect relationship properly.
3) This is normal at the beginning, but it should converge to a reasonable value within a couple of days. As said, this is based on the second model es described above!

Thanks so much for your feedback! I hope with that the answers above answer your questions. If not please ask!!!

And I'm really happy to hear further thoughts! :)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It hadn't occurred to click the Predicted Value in 4 hours!
So is the "Value in 4 hours" the predicted Bg 4 hours from "now"? I had assumed it was 4 hours from the last meal.
Mid way through this morning someone gave me a coffee with sugar rather than a sweetener. I later entered this by ticking & entering "Different Time", was this the correct thing to do? Or should I have used "Missed Entry"? I'm likely to be adding values retrospectively if I'm busy.
What are Update & Reset Model doing?
You wanted questions!

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, Value in 4 hours is from "now" and yes, using the "different time" was the correct thing to do! You only need to use "missed entry" if you have forgotten or are too lazy ;-) After 8 hours, the app is automatically going to assume that you forgot to enter something and adds the "missed entry" by itself. So addding values retrospectively should work just fine!

Update model: it updates the second (learning) model described in my post above. It's actually optimizing the detected cause-effect relationship. Please let me know if this takes too long, I've heard complaints from other users.

Reset model: it resets the second (learning) model to a default value. This funciton can be useful if the learning model predicts c**p ;-)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update Model just took a few seconds on my Moto G. Only a day or so of data though. More will be entered!

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So what do you think? Are you still using the app? If yes, what would you like to have improved? If no, same question ;-)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I've done very little with this. I've been logging data on Nightscout to test using that with my neice monitoring me from 180 miles away. I also log with my usual software.
My intention was to enter a few days retrospectively into SpotOn but though a different time can be selected, it appears a different day cannot? Perhaps add this for testing purposes at least?

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, true a different day cannot be selected. I could add the function without much difficulty, but I think that most users would not use it. If this is really important to you I would add it for testing purposes, as you suggested, and take it out later.

Just out of curiosity, what is your usual software?

Have a nice weekend!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an Android app that I've developed over several years. It records blood glucose, carbs, exercise & suggests a bolus, recording the dose I inject. I'm confident something similar will be added to the xDrip app or NightScout which will be able to use my CGM data & I'll move over to that. They are already experimenting with code developed in the OPENAPS/DIYPS project. Have a look at openaps.org & diyps.org it's very interesting stuff.