Type 1 rebelling against T1..........not good

cezli84

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
needles and Diabetes!
so, i have had diabetes since 24th april, im on an emotional rollercoaster and truly fed up today. Ive had lots of hypo's, false hypo's ad feeling sad.I have entered the honeymoon period where my pancreas has decided to work temporarily thus putting me through these hypo's. Last night, i forgot to take my Lantus for the first time ever.......this sparked a plan in my head, my reading was 7.2 when I woke up, i naively thought "Oh, they have so mis diagnosed me, i will let my pancreas carry on doing its thing so i thought of a stars in there eyes moment and thought to myself "Today Matthew, im going to be non-diabetic"!! I thought i would test my theory and not have any of my novo injections even if i have all 3 meals, I still checked my bgl continuously just in case but for the first time in what seems a lifetime, it felt great not to hide my injections. I still carried my diabetes bag round just in case. All day, my levels have been gradually increasing. After my tea, i checked 2 hours later and my bgl was in double figures!! So, my theory was not right and my pancreas is not working as well as i thought. I took a couple of units of novo to bring it down slightly, then took my Lantus as usual. I have to admit, I wouldnt advise anyone do this as i did start to feel ******. I think i got it out of my system so onwards and upwards, diabetes will not ruin my life, it wont control me, i will control it!!

Reactions: 4 people
M

mammamia2006

@cezli84 Told you that it would make you feel like poop, last thing you want is to end up in hospital with ketones, on drips etc. Xx

Reactions: 6 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stay positive, I'm three months in and I think I'm still in the honeymoon. Some people come off insulin for a time, but that only seems to be if you can lead a very active life and have a low carb diet (which so is not for me at all...). It's hard accepting it, sometimes I still catch myself thinking naively that it might go away, I think that's natural! You'll probably find that the honeymoon period is happening because taking insulin has brought down your levels, and your pancreas has kicked back in. If you allow your levels to get high all the time the honeymoon may end up ending quicker than you'd hope. As for the hypos, try not to panic. It sounds like you're picking them up really well. I too felt bad at anything below 5, you do get used to it I promise! Any questions feel free to ask me :) I'll always try to help

cezli84

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
needles and Diabetes!
Yea thats how i feel, i went most if the day without and started feelin a bit rubbish to be honest. Think pancreas shud do the job is made for or dont work at all coz its a pain flitting back an to lol. Thanx for the support xx

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I bet! Haha known the feeling, I started to creep up for a little while then suddenly the last two weeks have dropped right back down. Such a nightmare

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We all go through that exact stage of diagnosis and I think I tested my pancreas out as you did lol..........

sometimes it can take a while but it will become normal and part of everyday life.......

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose feeling rubbish like that makes you realise how crucial insulin is to our daily lives. It's difficult to accept in these early stages but the reality is the quicker you can accept it and start understanding it all the easier it becomes. Yes, there will be days and weeks when you have burnout but I never want to feel the way I felt pre-diagnosis, it was simply terrible and if it means taking injections, checking my glucose levels and being organised etc then I'm prepared to do that. Keep going @cezli84 :)