Dr Faustman vaccine goes to human trials

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lets keep our fingers crossed for Dr Faustman and her team, who has worked tirelessly on this for many years.
Always liked the outlook if this method could work, as its scalable and need no organ/cell donors.
Now as we well know, mice have been cured for diabetes hundreds of times while transferring same to humans have failed miserably.
The approach here is certainly novel, so lets hope the best.
http://www.examiner.com/article/diabetes-vaccine-advanced-to-human-trails-by-fda

Last edited by a moderator:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
It is interesting Celcus but I always hate reading the line "it may be ready in 10 years'. This always seems to be a rolling ten years from whenever you want to start counting.

To me this is like scientists saying, ' we've got a good idea now give us some money and we'll go away and play for a while.'

reaman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lets keep our fingers crossed for Dr Faustman and his team, who has worked tirelessly on this for many years.
Always liked the outlook if this method could work, as its scalable and need no organ/cell donors.
Now as we well know, mice have been cured for diabetes hundreds of times while transferring same to humans have failed miserably.
The approach here is certainly novel, so lets hope the best.
http://www.examiner.com/article/diabetes-vaccine-advanced-to-human-trails-by-fda
Dr Fausman and her team

Reactions: 2 people

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is interesting Celcus but I always hate reading the line "it may be ready in 10 years'. This always seems to be a rolling ten years from whenever you want to start counting.

To me this is like scientists saying, ' we've got a good idea now give us some money and we'll go away and play for a while.'
Yeah good one Urbanracer, unfortunately the classic disclaimer we have been reading for as many years we have been diabetics. And yes, that's unfortunately a high multiples of tens by now. Much like this situation:
Ie2uP.gif

Think though to recall that Dr Faustman got a large pool of $ quite recently, but maybe they already burned through them by now? What I do like though is, she has always been very realistic and pragmatic in cure research. Just getting to the stage of getting permission and doing human trials with a real cure solution is a major accomplishment in my book. We do unfortunately see too few of those.

reaman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah good one Urbanracer, unfortunately the classic disclaimer we have been reading for as many years we have been diabetics. And yes, that's unfortunately a high multiples of tens by now. Much like this situation:
Ie2uP.gif

Think though to recall that Dr Faustman got a large pool of $ quite recently, but maybe they already burned through them by now? What I do like though is, she has always been very realistic and pragmatic in cure research. Just getting to the stage of getting permission and doing human trials with a real cure solution is a major accomplishment in my book. We do unfortunately see too few of those.
Seems to be a lot happening though...with stem cells, viacyte, perle etc. Heres hoping

silver-type-1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin