Fermented foods

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been doing some reading about fermented foods, since they delay the emptying of the stomach, and how they can assist with blood sugar regulation, .

Last night, I ate a pickle with my dinner and my 1 hour post prandial BS was lower than my pre-meal. Only by 10 mg/dl, but still.

I was curious if any of you have explored that theory.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't say I've noticed any delayed gastric emptying after eating mixed pickles, cornichons, pickled onions etc occasionally or lower BG. I haven't tried the cider vinegar trick either. I did try lemon in Earl Grey tea an while that helps lower BG for me. it's bad for tooth enamel.

A qualified nutritionist on my Twitter timeline says that fermented foods taken every day for two weeks get rid of bloating. I didn't fancy sauerkraut so I took kefir and that works.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. I have read that it needs to be naturally fermented foods, so no pickles preserved by vinegar and salt, but rather cabbage or cucumbers, water, and salt.

I found a brand called Bubbies that preserves food naturally and that is what I had yesterday. Kefir was highly recommended too.

Do you find that kefir raises your blood sugar? I looked at it yesterday and it looked like the carb count was high. Although, I read that the carbs listed are pre-fermentation and the fermentation process breaks down the carbs and eliminates the blood sugar spikes.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bio-tiful organic kefir is the one I buy from Riverford or Ocado. 4.6g carbs per 100ml and I have the 250ml size (so 11.5g carbs) currently 20% off at Riverford. One 250ml bottle contains 134% of RDA for Vitamin B12, 35% RDA for Calcium, 22% RDA for Vitamin B2 and 25% RDA for Phosphorus. http://biotifuldairy.com/cultured-milk-drinks/kefir/

I don't have it every day, it doesn't spike my BG and it's really refreshing. If the carbs are pre-fermentation then it probably does lose a lot of the milk sugars which would explain it.

IMO whether someone considers it high in carbs depends on the carbs they allow themselves daily and the foods they eat. I don't eat any kind of baked goods, potatoes, celeriac (irony), swede (rutabaga), fennel (bulb), carrot, parsnip or artificial sweeteners and not much whole milk.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing. I have seen Lifeway Kefir in the stores, but I have never read the label. I am going to check it out when I go grocery shopping next.

I am having better results with my BS when I eat a 1/4c serving of kraut with my dinner. I adore kraut, so I don't feel like this is a sacrifice in the same of science. Still, I should track and log my findings and then share.

Reactions: 2 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Delighted to read this because I love sauerkraut. Will be eating it more regularly now!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did some fermenting on my own a couple of times (cabbage and daikon radish), but I found it a bit boring after about a fortnight of eating the same thing! Unfortunately, my OH doesn't like raw fermented veggies. It might be a good time for a new batch, and this time I'll make sure to eat it with dinner. Thanks for sharing your experience, @vintageutopia :)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Larissima What water, salt, veggie ratio do you use?

I am curious about making my own.
I tend to use just salt at first, rub it into the shredded veg and leave in the plastic bowl for a good few hours (I've done it up to 12 hours, but that was in winter) for the liquid to come out. Then I pack it all into a jar and only top it with lightly salted water if the released liquid doesn't end up covering the veg. Regarding quantities, about 1 Tbs salt per head of cabbage (small/medium). I always end up googling like mad before every batch, though! :D