Confused about readings

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I've got a couple of queries about my bs readings and wonder if anyone would be so kind as to offer any advice.

I've only been doing this for a week (tomorrow) so it may be I just have to give it time and try to remember that it's a marathon and not a sprint. (I find this really difficult, once I focus on something, I want it straight away!)

Anyway, a couple of times this week, when I have done exercise before my breakfast, my bs have gone up - roughly 6.5 fasting to 8.8 post run before breakfast. 2 hours after breakfast, it is has come down to either 7.9 or 6.5, depending what I had to eat. Does anyone know what causes this increase on exercising and if there is anything I can do about it?

Also, this morning my fasting bs was 7.4 which is a bit higher than the last few days (they'd been down to the early to mid 6s over the last 3 days.) They were pretty much the same before breakfast and after breakfast were great at 5.4! I was feeling rather pleased with myself until I tested 2 hours later which was before lunch and they'd gone up to 7! What on earth causes that to happen - the only thing I'd eaten in between was a little bit of chicken thigh. Why would my blood sugars rise from 5.4 to 7 when I haven't had anything to eat?!

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
That is only a rise of 1.6mmol. What did you eat for breakfast, sounds like your insulin kicked in before the carbs did, hence you dropped down to 5.4 then back up to 7. If you consider you started out on 7.4 and ended up on 7 it's not that bad after all!!

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Type1Bri. I had full fat Greek yoghurt, a few raspberries and nuts for breakfast (10g carbs in total.)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Well that's my theory out the window a bit then lol!!!
Could it be a contanimated test strip etc. Best to look for an overall pattern than the odd rouge reading though

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Sounds like your liver playing silly bu$$ers whilst it gets used to your new regime. Depending on time of day (and sometimes if there's an R in the month when Jupiter and Pisces conjoin (no not really but it can be a bit random) if I exercise my BG goes up because my liver is producing more glucose to enable the activity to continue when it's not really sure if the body is going to get more food in the near future. Other times the exercise just burns off the BG and the liver doesn't respond immediately. It can be like herding cats this game, but if you do the right things diet-wise it will work out.

Reactions: 6 people

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sanguine - as May, June, July and August are the next 4 months, perhaps I'll have a good spell!

I've only just started exercising again after at least 20 months (funnily enough the age of my toddler) of doing nothing except walking the dog, so maybe my body is a bit shocked at the change - maybe that's why my liver thinks I need the extra glucose, to actually stop me collapsing in a heap!

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering if your readings have improved? I was just looking through the forums to see if I could find an explanation for why my blood sugar readings rise after exercise. I take the dog for a brisk 45min walk each morning and my BS reading is always higher afterwards not by much - (.5 ) but annoying as I read about exercise burning the sugar off.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just wondering if your readings have improved? I was just looking through the forums to see if I could find an explanation for why my blood sugar readings rise after exercise. I take the dog for a brisk 45min walk each morning and my BS reading is always higher afterwards not by much - (.5 ) but annoying as I read about exercise burning the sugar off.

Hi @Potteron and @PerfectStorm - 'ave a butchers at this!....................

High blood sugar, hyperglycemia, can also occur during exercise, particularly after short bursts of strenuous activity.

Strenuous activity produces a stress response which sees the body producing glucagon to raise blood sugar levels to provide the muscles with energy in the form of glucose.

Full text here.................
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-sport-and-blood-sugar.html

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Potteron and @PerfectStorm - 'ave a butchers at this!....................

High blood sugar, hyperglycemia, can also occur during exercise, particularly after short bursts of strenuous activity.

Strenuous activity produces a stress response which sees the body producing glucagon to raise blood sugar levels to provide the muscles with energy in the form of glucose.

Full text here.................
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-sport-and-blood-sugar.html
Thanks for the link, seem to spend ages looking for answers, and problem is we are all so different and one size doesn't fit all.