Readings at diagnosis

Starsurferstu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, newly diagnosed type 1 just over three weeks ago.

Like a lot of you my BG was 33 and ketones were 6.8. I had lost just over 10kg in 5 days, ended up in an ambulance and taken into A & E where they told me I had diabetes and was in full-blown DKA and lucky to be alive. The worst thing was I went to my GP the day before I was admitted and was told I didnt 'for the profile' of a diabetic and was given antacid tablets for my stomach pain. Probably the worst few days of my life.

Since then I've been reading and learning as much as I can and joined the forum to find some folks to talk to about stuff that my friends and family don't really understand. My DSN and dietician are amazing but I guess it's very different living with it every day...

Reactions: 2 people

BevW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed a year ago, bg was 16, went to Dr after 2 weeks drinking non stop and losing over a stone. A year later I'm 5 stone lighter but my bg won't go under 14. Now on 2000mg metformin, gliclazide and testing 4 times a day. Hoping this new dosage kicks in soon and bg gets down to a better level. Getting a bit fed up. Although the new dress size is nice

fnc2814

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 56! I was visiting relatives who live 30 miles from home at the time, and started feeling unwell just as we got there on a friday night. I wasn't eating but was the usual thirsty and remember drinking lots of apple juice to quench it (in hindsight not the best option!). We got home on the sunday and i was throwing up all night, so mum and dad took me to hospital, by which time i lost consciousness.
The doctors said i was lucky to be alive and had i been older i probably wouldn't be. I was 9 years old.

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 30, I went to the doctors quite early, I could feel there was something not right with my body

happier than you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd love to know why i didn't lose any weight. I was in a dreadful state, had been vomiting all night, could barely walk to the ambulance, but i'd not lost any weight at all. I think my reading something like 45. Incredibly really, because now when it's 12 i feel like death. I can't even imagine all the damage that must have been doing to my body. I was in hospital about 2 weeks i was that ill.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't recall the number, but I turned the urine test strip black which meant that it was higher than 45 mmol/l.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was around 26 with ketones but I'm not sure what the ketone figure was, but it was still around 2.0 when I was sent home from hospital.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed a year ago, bg was 16, went to Dr after 2 weeks drinking non stop and losing over a stone. A year later I'm 5 stone lighter but my bg won't go under 14. Now on 2000mg metformin, gliclazide and testing 4 times a day. Hoping this new dosage kicks in soon and bg gets down to a better level. Getting a bit fed up. Although the new dress size is nice
Sounds like Type 1, not Type 2. Maybe you need further tests.

GoRachel1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lizards (especially geckos...)
People who are nosy, pushy and don't respect personal boundaries.
Eggplant and liver...
Diabetes
Pitbull's lyrics...
Mine was 24... I found out I was diabetic when I ended up in the hospital for DKA, and a blood test later confirmed that it was T1.