Al this hot weather ... too many hypos

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi all, I have to say I am pleased to hear that its going to be raining in my part of the country soon (West Sussex) as these extremely hot days are a nightmare for me. On average 2-3 hypos a day despite the fact Im dropping my pump levels by 10 or 20% - is anyone else having the same problem? Would love to know if you are and how you tackle it?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Come and live up here in Lancashire - I've been wearing a fleecy jumper all day it's so cold! Sorry, that doesn't help you one bit!

Reactions: 4 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have this too and it's very annoying! I reduce my basal overnight and eat some extra carbs to try and counter it but I find it hit and miss. I have to be very careful if I bolus and then go out in the heat as it makes my insulin absorb much faster causing massive hypo. In this instance I would do a combo bolus.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sally -how long you been on pump?

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi Donellysdogs, thanks for your input, Ive been on a pump for 7 years so not a newbie to it all. And weirdly I never used to have this problem with the heat, but its just been the last 2 or 3 years. All rather odd and damm right annoying. Thanks for your comment mushypeabrain = not sure what a combo bolus is, but will look into it. Any chance of explaining as Im not sure if my medtronic one does this whatever it is!

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Come and live up here in Lancashire - I've been wearing a fleecy jumper all day it's so cold! Sorry, that doesn't help you one bit!

Indeed not as helpful, but like you I had a fleece on tonight, so perhaps it is getting cooler !!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Didn't want to lecture a long term pp user., Sally:))

I opposite to you, but almost same.. I found every year for 3 years I had my worst hypo's in July. Now almost September and pretty much ok this year besides pump n set bother....

However, and you will know this.. Back to basic basal tests....

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hiya, wow - how weird, glad to hear its not just me but .... have you got a sensor out of interest?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Did have for about 6 months which drove me mad in the end to be honest. Handed it back think it was last year now.. April 2013. So had two clear years of being hypo free in July.

I have also learnt that basically nowadays I have to lower my insulin a week after the summer time change and again the week after the clocks change in October for the winter, it goes up... But that probably just me.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sally a combo bolus is when you stagger the insulin for food across a set period instead of giving it all upfront. So for example for 40g carbs I would normally give say 5 units upfront before eating. With a combo I would give a set % upfront and the rest over a longer period such as 2 hours. I use a combo bolus for things like pizza. Have you got the book pumping insulin by John Walsh? It explains it a lot better in there and tips on how/when to use them.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
On an accucheck pump its called a multiwave bolus....

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, ah ok I have a medtronic pump, but donellydogs and mushypeabrain - thanks for your comments. I don't use that option on my pump as I tend to eat very few carbs and never ever eat pizza - but will investigate anyway, thanks for the input.

iHs

Hi, ah ok I have a medtronic pump, but donellydogs and mushypeabrain - thanks for your comments. I don't use that option on my pump as I tend to eat very few carbs and never ever eat pizza - but will investigate anyway, thanks for the input.

I'm the same........Ive tried using one of the waves (Accu chek) but with disasterious bg levels so tend to use the standard bolus and try to keep to low to moderate carb eating with better success. Hot weather also tends to make my bg drop like a stone so I try reducing the bolus first of all and then if that doesnt work, I'll then reduce the basal a tad..........a lot of trial and error though and just as you get the levels sorted, the weather temp changes so its time to undo the changes and trial and error again lol Grrrrrrrrr

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HI iHs, good to know there are others out there having problems with this drasted heat, I have to say I think I was the only person in our office earlier today who was pleased that it was raining - bliss! Yeh ive been reducing my basal by 40% and then before you know it, they're up again, but hey as you say trial and error and Grrrrr - feel for you, its a pain in the butt sometimes isnt it!

Hillary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I have to say I am pleased to hear that its going to be raining in my part of the country soon (West Sussex) as these extremely hot days are a nightmare for me. On average 2-3 hypos a day despite the fact Im dropping my pump levels by 10 or 20% - is anyone else having the same problem? Would love to know if you are and how you tackle it?

I sympathise! Here in Australia of course our seasons are the other way around but in out current cold season my basal rate for the day is 13.88 units. Next week I go to Bali and will be changing back to summer settings, that is, 11.04 per day. It's a horribly imprecise science isn't it?

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Blimey, yes the temperatures in Australia can be pretty fierce. Weirdly I went to Australia a few years ago and whilst I had to juggle my doses etc I never had as much problem as I have recently in the UK. Cant really understand it but best of luck to your trip to Bali. Are you on a pump or MDI out of interest?

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ah ok, glad you're on a pump, far easier to juggle doses than on MDI isnt it. Hope Bali is up to stratch!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia Gemma - mine go both ways and i have no way of telling which it's going to be. Start of the week hypos then some BSs In the 13 region when things started to get sticky. These diabetes blood sugars are just as difficult as the lottery for me at times!!!

Reactions: 2 people