Food and weight becoming an obsession.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Done that, about 3 years ago, he concluded I was built for famine....... but that doesn't help huh!! 900 cals is the reduction from my TDEE btw, not intake. TDEE is 2500, 900 cals less should result in a 2lb a week weight loss, but no. Maybe I need to make fat bombs lol.

Ali

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Charlotte

I really sympathise with how you are feeling. I was 16 when diagnosed and gained weight. Because of that at 20 I decided to stop taking my insulin for the next 6 years. Yes I lost weight (a lot of weight) whilst eating whatever I wanted, but effectively I was dying.

Just over 2 years ago like you I got back on track with my insulin. I've gained a lot of weight back, but I have to be fair to myself that a lot of that is muscle.

I think it's also important to remember you are growing up and your body will go through natural changes, I blamed everything on insulin and didn't account for nature taking it's course.

I went through CBT and there are a couple of good books, Melanie fennel guide to low self esteem and the 8 step programme of learning to like your appearance.

I'm by no means healed!! But one thing I would recommend is getting rid of the scales, I was weighing myself 6 times a day! And abstain from celeb magazines or the internet full of perfect celebs and unrealistic images.

I'm never going to be happy with my weight but it doesn't consume my life anymore, eventually other things become more important.

When you lost weight before were you happy with that? Or did you always want to be less? For me no amount of weight loss was never enough. I was chasing something that was never going to be achievable.

I think about food a lot, then hate myself for eating.....well....anything!!

But you have to remember that your opinion of yourself and your weight is just that, it's an opinion, not a fact.

I really do recommend those books, I'm not going to say I'm a model example that things can be better and life will be perfect because that's not real and doesn't exist. But I've made a lot of progress that I'm very proud of.

You can message me anytime if you want to talk.

Gemma

Hi Gemma, thank you for your lovely message. I have seen a psychiatrist myself however it wasn't successful, I kind of had the revelation to take my insulin again myself.

When I lost weight I was a lot happier, having said that food was a big part of my time I.e. Planning what to eat etc however I guess with diabetes food will always be something more to us than a non diabetic.

I will definitely check out those books and will be in touch if I have any questions, thanks again :)

G

gemma6549

Hi Gemma, thank you for your lovely message. I have seen a psychiatrist myself however it wasn't successful, I kind of had the revelation to take my insulin again myself.

When I lost weight I was a lot happier, having said that food was a big part of my time I.e. Planning what to eat etc however I guess with diabetes food will always be something more to us than a non diabetic.

I will definitely check out those books and will be in touch if I have any questions, thanks again :)

For a long time I felt like I was happier when I lost weight, but that's all based on appearance really, if I think back to how I really felt emotionally, mentally and health wise it was horrendous, I was just so used to functioning like that it felt normal.

Having been well for a couple of years I can now see how bad I really felt!

I'm glad you got yourself back on track with insulin , it's definitely something you need to be ready for.

I still find things a struggle and like you said diabetes makes food a much bigger thing than I would like it to be. For me every bit of food equates to weight gain. It's a love hate thing!!

Those books really helped, I'm only a little way through the 8 step programme, the next part involves analysing my body in front of the mirror in various stages and I'm not ready for that yet!! Although putting it off will get me nowhere!!

I find that eating a normal balanced diet is the best way, if I deny myself things I end up binging on them and that makes me feel worse, so although I eat healthily I still have treats like anyone else.

I struggled a bit with this forum because of all the emphasis on specific diets and people writing what they weigh and their clothes size, makes me feel worse about myself. Hence now I'm just contributing where I think I can help.

Keep me posted with how you get on :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
For a long time I felt like I was happier when I lost weight, but that's all based on appearance really, if I think back to how I really felt emotionally, mentally and health wise it was horrendous, I was just so used to functioning like that it felt normal.

Having been well for a couple of years I can now see how bad I really felt!

I'm glad you got yourself back on track with insulin , it's definitely something you need to be ready for.

I still find things a struggle and like you said diabetes makes food a much bigger thing than I would like it to be. For me every bit of food equates to weight gain. It's a love hate thing!!

Those books really helped, I'm only a little way through the 8 step programme, the next part involves analysing my body in front of the mirror in various stages and I'm not ready for that yet!! Although putting it off will get me nowhere!!

I find that eating a normal balanced diet is the best way, if I deny myself things I end up binging on them and that makes me feel worse, so although I eat healthily I still have treats like anyone else.

I struggled a bit with this forum because of all the emphasis on specific diets and people writing what they weigh and their clothes size, makes me feel worse about myself. Hence now I'm just contributing where I think I can help.

Keep me posted with how you get on :)
Gemma,you are a lovely lady, your contributions are spot on,give yourself a gold star ::))

Reactions: 4 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I have been type one since 2011 diagnosed at 17 years old. In my first year of being diagnosed I gain over a stone and a bit due to having to treat numerous hypos over the honey moon period. Once this had ended I began the dangerous slope of avoiding insulin in attempt to loose weight. I saw a therapist for this and it is no longer an issue, however the issue now is food and weight is becoming an obsession. I did loose over a stone before however I gained this back when I started eating 'normally' aka introducing more carbohydrates. I weigh myself daily, avoid carbs but then sometimes have them because I know my body needs them. Then the next day feel bloated and guilty. I had been following a LCHF diet however even that isn't giving me the results I want. (I am on the contraceptive injection which has caused me to feel more hungry! Will not be continuing with is method) I exercise once if not twice a day yet I am still not where I want to be. I feel I am at a loss and don't see any hope of food not being such a big deal, which I feel at 21 years old is a real shame.

Did/does anyone else feel like this? How can I stop and finally be happy with diet?

Sorry for my little rant/life story!

Many thanks,

Charlotte :)

Hi Charlotte,

I know this is a couple of months back, and a lot can happen in a couple of months - but on reading this I was strongly compelled to contribute this -

You are a young woman, and women have a body-fat maintainer system going. With a healthy BMI your body is probably absolutely guarding your fat stores in order for your reproductive health to be maintained. It's just a part of us being the mothers of humanity :). Even if we aren't currently reproducing, or trying really hard not to at least - our capacity to create, bear, birth, breastfeed, and keep those kiddies alive into adulthood is a huge driving force - at least in our fat cells! (Yeah, yeah - and beyond.)
And yeah - the hormones you are taking will be a part of your own body's fat maintenance as well. Bearing in mind you don't have excess fat stores with a BMI of 22 ish.

Here are some links that might be a help or of interest...

http://paleoforwomen.com/shattering...cific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tinamarina2.htm

(Sorry about the ads in this info, but there is a lot to like about this woman and this post - bodybuilders make it their business to know a lot about this stuff.) (And as a mother of a 21 year old woman myself I like the fact that this writer tells you to listen to your mother and your grandmother ;-) :). At least look at their bodies/photos? I know how scarey my own daughter finds that! But it does say something to you about your genetic makeup - that and your father's mother and sisters.)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gender-differences-in-fat-metabolism/#axzz3eZwS9abG

Hope this helps!

- Mother Aloe