The Lone Low Carber

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never knew how much food 8 year old boys could consume until I had one. It is epic! My son is also 8 years old and I have decided that my husband and I may need to both get second jobs if we are going to support his stomach into his teen years.

And he is just a skinny thing! Certainly not my genes floating in his gene pool, that's for sure!

Reactions: 2 people

NancyE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was looking through fridge and cupboards earlier, prior to doing an onlne order and this thread idea came to me.
My other half has NCGS so there's nothing with gluten in the fridge, freezer or pantry. His mother is T2 and despite NCGS and attacks of gout (in his thirties as well, cracks me up) The Husband is a carb fiend so there is currently a box of ASDA Free From cornflakes (81g carbs per 100g with milk) sitting on a kitchen counter. In the fridge there's a pack of gluten-free gnocchi with a use-by date next year #NotProperFood and a pack of two-part-baked ciabatta rolls which could be mistaken for solidified dinosaur poo.
I live with my family, there are 3 other sin this house. When first living here I had to eat gluten/wheat free or I had probs with digestion. They love love love their carbs and wheat products. I live with cakes and cookies always on the counters, table. People constantly eating sandwiches, pizza and toast :) They even tease me by making faces at me like Ooo this is soo good.
Gluten free was much easier than low carb.. at least I have chicken wings when they have pizza and MY special veggies when they have pasta etc. with lots of butter! Oh! and I make LC cheesecake which everyone wants but I tell them to go eat their wheat! They all want to eat my things and their things too... I get a bit angry as it's expensive LOL

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep telling OH not to raid my side of the fridge but my peanut butter is going down real fast :(

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm lucky that my OH does most of the cooking and doing his best to cater for me. Doesn't stop him sharing my very dark chocolate or picking at my berries though. In fairness I am trading that for the odd crisp or a couple of chips when he takes pity on me! My little one is also getting through the berries quicker than I can get a look in, and is definitely the main culprit for my peanut butter evaporating (fortunately my OH does not like this or I probably wouldn't get a look in!). Fortunately our weekend cooked breakfasts are definitely his & hers as I'm a veggie and for some reason he seems to prefer the actual bacon to my stuff! Think we might have settled on the what's yours is mine, and what's mine is my own approach somewhere!

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
I was looking through fridge and cupboards earlier, prior to doing an onlne order and this thread idea came to me.

My other half has NCGS so there's nothing with gluten in the fridge, freezer or pantry. His mother is T2 and despite NCGS and attacks of gout (in his thirties as well, cracks me up) The Husband is a carb fiend so there is currently a box of ASDA Free From cornflakes (81g carbs per 100g with milk) sitting on a kitchen counter. In the fridge there's a pack of gluten-free gnocchi with a use-by date next year #NotProperFood and a pack of two-part-baked ciabatta rolls which could be mistaken for solidified dinosaur poo.

I'm wondering whether anyone else has to suffer things we shouldn't eat, right there on the kitchen counter, in the fridge, freezer and pantry ? Having to juggle different diets eg low carb, gluten free, vegetarian, low fat ? Jealousy from family when you're tucking into a piece of steak with cream sauce and buttered veg and they've got the beefburgers and chips which they asked for ?

The Husband has one side of the fridge and a shelf in the larder plus a fruit bowl. Do you hide the naughties out of your sight ?

Once your fully adapted to lchf, carbs stop appealing, or at least they have with me. I feel really ill if I binge (a binge for me would be 30-80g of carbs in one sitting) and bg rollercoaster afterwards is not worth it! My cupboard is full of carb laden cereals, I use it as bird feed these days, it's all its good for!

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In our household I eat LCHF and everyone else still eats whatever they want so every day I get to look at biscuits, chips, chocolate, ice cream and bread. It can definately be a bit challenging sometimes especially at the supermarket.