Diabetes and dentistry

C

CheeseJunkie

I had my appointment with the dental nurse to clean up my teeth just last week. After 2 years of orthdontics!

The difference that diabetes makes, to her, professionally: more regular (6 month) check ups recommended, owing to increased risk of/from infections, and general gum health issues.

So if you are thinking about eye tests etc., perhaps also think about dental check up?

Reactions: 2 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dentist seems to be very on-the-ball with regards to diabetes and its effects of gum health. While I was pregnant and had some bleeding of the guns she saw me every 3 months and did a good clean. Now the bleeding has stopped I see her every 6 months. She always asks about my control and I almost feel that she should be part of my diabetes team.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Dentist ...yes and WHY we have to pay for the treatment if having diabetes can cause other things ie infection of gums....one thing i hate is going to the dentists another is having to pay for it :cyclops::wacky:

bigmomabeth

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no idea that I would be in the shape I am in. I found out the the diabetes is making my teeth loose. It was very upsetting to find out that what shape my gums and teeth were in. I brush, floss, in the morning and at night and in between meals. I started taking a lot of different medicine and thought that was the reason for the problems boy was i shocked. as soon as i can fined some dental insurance that will fit into my budget i and going back and save the teeth I can.

Reactions: 2 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do prediabetic bg levels have this kind of effect then? I had no idea!