Son of 12 Type 1 newbie- 3wks in

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son was diagnosed Type 1 three weeks ago. His readings have gone from being stable to diving up and down now we enter the honeymoon! He is on 1-30g ratio for part of day and then 1-20 or 1-25 depending on what he's upto! Lantus usually comes in at 10 or 11 units. We are all good with the carb counting but one thing that is confusing is the advise on food. We were pretty much told that he can eat whatever he wants (including cakes, Choc and the like in moderation) as long as he takes the insulin to match. However I read on forums that people are attempting low carb diets ... But we have been told this can be damaging for Type 1 growing teens and is only recommended for Type 2 diabetics... The requirements being quite different! Is this correct?! We are struggling with sport, he's an active lad who enjoys football and his intense training sessions are usually leaving him floored the next day ... Even if we give him little insulin! Then we have a day with highs and lows! I hate it when he is low, doesn't come out of the low first time and drops again! That time is scary! Then we struggle to keep readings down on an evening. It just seems to be trial and error with the settings. Over the last few days we have run slightly high anywhere between 6.5 to 12 with the new settings and to be quite honest I feel better about this than the lows! However I understand this is not the best and we need to get these readings down. If anyone has advice re managing sport , growing teens etc great!

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You need Diabetic Athlete's Handbook by Sheri Colberg, and Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. The info in those two books will help you to get your sons regime to be both stable AND flexible, which is what he needs right now and what will stop him from 'rebelling' in two or three years.

Plus, by the way, you are doing extremely well for a couple of three-weekers!

The main concrete piece of advice I'd give is not to over-correct, either for highs or lows. Correct in smaller stages. But the actual figures you need you will find in those books.

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi There 201142
welcome to the forum :)
first thing is to just say how well you seem to be at getting to grips with this -- it is tough for a family at any time but just at the beginning of teenage years is really rough !
( i was diagnosed at age 14 )

the books mentioned above will give loads of help on managing.

for actually playing sport it will be best if your son ALWAYS has some fast acting carb like lucozade with him
and if it is football just come to the touch line for a gulp if he starts to feel low .

also -- do keep in close contact with the diabetic team that is treating your son -- they can help as well in looking at adjustments.

it is really early days post diagnosis so do try not to worry and panic too much ( completely natural ) if bloods aren't totally behaving - it is best to remember this is a long term condition and not be too concerned with 1 errant result or a bad day of results
-- keeping records is a great help not only for your son's D team -- but also for your family as the experience gained from being able to look back at what you did when and got good results and what to avoid doing as well.

and finally -- we are all here to help when needed :)

all the best

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for the advice re books and sport...really helpful! We kept the lucozade nearby at training last night and that really helped...no lows! Yay! I adjusted the Lantus last night to allow for him having done a two hour training session and he was fine this morning. I look forward to seeing how he fared today when he gets back from school to see if he bottomed out again. Feel like we are getting somewhere! Just to see what happens on Sunday now with a four hour tournament in the heat!

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type 2 I'm not much help, but wanted to say its fantastic how well you are dealing with this, and its great to see that you are getting somewhere, Best of luck for Sunday, and don't foget to keep hydrated too!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not good advice to say to a T1 you can eat anything you like unless you want to gain weight rapidly and suffer large blood sugar swings. All diabetics need to keep the carbs down using the meter for guidance. Substitute protein, fat as well as veg in place of carbs. The Basal insulin should always be adjusted first over several days a little at a time and then the Bolus ratio to help minimise blood sugar swings. Yes, sports can be a problem and when I go to the gym I may have a piece of fruit just before. Levemir tends to be the preferred Basal insulin where sports are involved but may be that's the Basal you are using anyway