Ladies: advice about lack of menstruation, very irregular periods

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Help! I am only coming on my periods once yearly!

Hello people. I first started my periods when I was 13 and was only as frequent as 4-5 months, now over time (past 3-4 years) I am only coming on my period about once a year! I am only 20 years old and want to be in good fertile health. Does anybody else experience this or have any advice or suggestions?
My diabetic friends are also irregular but nobody is as irregular as me.
I don't present any other symptoms of PCOS, my periods aren't painful, I do not have excessive hair, the only thing is that I can gain weight quickly but I think that is after slowed metabolism from an ED

I know I should have seen the doctor a lot earlier about this but doctors and hospitals give me great anxiety. I have up until recently been adopting an 'ignorance is bliss' protocol to life
Thank you in advance

M

mammamia2006

Mine were irregular when my blood glucose levels were too high. Now they are at 'normal' levels, everything seems to be back to once a month.

I would definitely go to the doctor just to get checked in case there are other issues that you are not aware of.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

What is your hba1c, and your BMI (if you don't mind telling us)

I put on a horrendous amount of weight in my teens. A combo of uncontrolled carb feeding frenzies, rebound weight gain after silly low calorie diets. Went to the doc who told me to lose weight (like I wasn't trying already!) and that 'fat people often don't menstruate'.

(nor do underweight women, apparently, but that is my sister's story, not mine)

So, on the understanding that it was ALL MY OWN FAULT, I went for 20 years without a period. Good job I never wanted kids, isn't it?

Then, on another unrelated matter, I got diagnosed with a tiny, non-cancerous tumour of my pituitary gland. Got treatment, and voila! the periods reappeared. (and I lost 5 stone)

Moral of the story: don't allow the medical to brush you off. keep pushing until you have had tests to investigate, and a clear answer. Some doc sitting in their surgery fobbing you off because they don't want to spend their budget on tests is not good enough.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may sound like a of a dumb question...but are you on any kind of contraceptive? The pill and other hormone devices/drugs can interfere with your menstrual cycle

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Bumblebee, I would hazard a guess that all your problems are due to the abuse your body has suffered when you struggled with non acceptance.
Give things time and the body does heal slowly but surely. You do need to talk to an expert though even though you don't do Dr's and hospitals. The more you worry the worse the problem becomes :(

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @bumblebee95 ,

During and for some time after battling with anorexia/bulimia or diabulimia as it is more recently called, my periods stopped once I went under about 6 1/2 stone and even after taking control of my diabetes and putting some weight on they took some time to start again and get into a regular cycle. Eating disorders combined with insulin manipulation causes havoc to the endocrine system. It may be absolutely nothing to do with this as you say your periods have been irregular for a long time. but it requires medical input to work out what is causing it.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I know that uncrontrolled diabetes causes havoc with periods, also rapid weight loss. I am having problems with my periods at the moment but not sure if its to do with my age im 45 years old i have 3 children and my periods have been as regular as clockwork for years every 28 days. But since May i have not had no periods at all, im not pregnant cos ive done pregnancy test that was negative plus i was sterilised in 2003 after the birth of my 3rd child. I have tight control of my diabetes only problem i have is no awareness of HYPOS and my HYPOS being very erratic. I went to the G.P last month when i was 3 weeks late but she just said its the menopause and she can't do nothing till i miss 3 periods then i can have a blood test to check hormone levels. The only thing that concerns me is i have symptoms of pre-menstrual (PMS) but no signs of menopause apart from abit moody but i get like that a week before my period anyway, now i have a pinky/brown discharge it does'nt smell but i just want to know whats going on. Don't want to go back to my G.P yet because the normal doctor i see who is alot more understanding and deals with gyno is on maternity leave till september so i will probably end up with this doctor i see before who to be honest gave the impression i was wasting her time.

tracey167

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi

What is your hba1c, and your BMI (if you don't mind telling us)

I put on a horrendous amount of weight in my teens. A combo of uncontrolled carb feeding frenzies, rebound weight gain after silly low calorie diets. Went to the doc who told me to lose weight (like I wasn't trying already!) and that 'fat people often don't menstruate'.

(nor do underweight women, apparently, but that is my sister's story, not mine)

So, on the understanding that it was ALL MY OWN FAULT, I went for 20 years without a period. Good job I never wanted kids, isn't it?

Then, on another unrelated matter, I got diagnosed with a tiny, non-cancerous tumour of my pituitary gland. Got treatment, and voila! the periods reappeared. (and I lost 5 stone)

Moral of the story: don't allow the medical to brush you off. keep pushing until you have had tests to investigate, and a clear answer. Some doc sitting in their surgery fobbing you off because they don't want to spend their budget on tests is not good enough.
My hba1c was 119 last time I checked and my weight fluctuates from 56kg to 60kg...Sometimes within days
I have a past of poor control with my diabetes as is apparent frommy hba1c, I am hoping that this time round it will be a little lower

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
It may sound like a of a dumb question...but are you on any kind of contraceptive? The pill and other hormone devices/drugs can interfere with your menstrual cycle
I understand and was asked the same question by the doctor, I am on no form of contraceptives

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Bumblebee, I would hazard a guess that all your problems are due to the abuse your body has suffered when you struggled with non acceptance.
Give things time and the body does heal slowly but surely. You do need to talk to an expert though even though you don't do Dr's and hospitals. The more you worry the worse the problem becomes :(
Thanks carbsrock, I have seen my GP and I am getting blood tests done on Thursday

Reactions: 4 people