new to type 2

xfireballx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ILL INFORMED PEOPLE
Hi folks,fairly newly diagnose type 2(6 months)doing a low carb set up,and getting on ok.still have questions tho,and things i need to know.Hopefully this forum will help.
love to know why type 2 doesnt get testers,money saving more than,just dont need them?
I still have itching and eyes a bit blurry in morning.Taking Metformin 2 times a day.
At docs tomorrow to discuss progress(or otherwise).

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Welcome to the forum. You will get lots of answers to any questions you have here.

Self testing can be critical to avoiding death from hypoglycaemia for people on insulin or insulin stimulating drugs, but self testing is not critical in the short run for type 2s on metformin.

In my opinion, if you are willing to cut carbs to the bone (no sugar, no rice, no pasta/bread/grains/oats/cereal, no starchy veg, no fruit (except berries)), then testing won't really make a difference. Self testing is more if you want to eat some carbs and need to see how much to limit them in a meal.

However, if you can afford to buy some strips it's worth testing to check your progress.

Make sure you get a printout of any lab test results - it can be useful in tracking your progress.

@daisy1 will provide lots of info for your reading pleasure.

Reactions: 6 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome ....Nocrbs4me Just about summed it up. Get rid of as many carbs as you can and go from there. It really does make a huge difference to BG levels. There are so many hidden in that we think of as ''healthy'' food....start reading food label....SEE what is actually in the food you buy. You will get lots of helpful advice here. Good luck at the doctors :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@xfireballx

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

xfireballx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ILL INFORMED PEOPLE
Hi and welcome ....Nocrbs4me Just about summed it up. Get rid of as many carbs as you can and go from there. It really does make a huge difference to BG levels. There are so many hidden in that we think of as ''healthy'' food....start reading food label....SEE what is actually in the food you buy. You will get lots of helpful advice here. Good luck at the doctors :)
I did a lot of research on the food I used to buy from Tesco.threw out around 75% now and feeling better for doing so.

Reactions: 3 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I think meters and strips are great educational and motivational tools for a lot of Type 2s and I'm certainly one of them. I've been told that higher results can make some people panic but I just don't think that way. A higher result just makes me look at what I ate, portion size etc. and then I try to 'beat the meter' by making sure my next postprandial test is lower. Without the test readings I'd have been flying blind and with crossed fingers for the first 3 months between HbAc1 results and my next one 6 months after that.

Information is power! :)

glandular

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I was diagnosed T2 in December 2014. I had a BG of 21 and was put on 2/2 * 500mg Metformin and 1 * 40mg Gliclazide. After 6 months my BG was down to 6.1 and I was taken off of Gliclazide because of hypos.

I don;t self test at all and my GP hasn't mentioned it. I see a lot of people on here self test their BG on a regular basis. Some several times a day. Is this really necessary if my fasting blood test results at the GP continue to be OK? What are the benefits?

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome ti the forym. Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep us informed of your progress

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi. I was diagnosed T2 in December 2014. I had a BG of 21 and was put on 2/2 * 500mg Metformin and 1 * 40mg Gliclazide. After 6 months my BG was down to 6.1 and I was taken off of Gliclazide because of hypos.

I don;t self test at all and my GP hasn't mentioned it. I see a lot of people on here self test their BG on a regular basis. Some several times a day. Is this really necessary if my fasting blood test results at the GP continue to be OK? What are the benefits?

Scroll back up to the post titled "BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS ".

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. A couple of points, first the fasting test doesn't tell you much asit can be affected by overnight glucose dumps. The HBa1C however is a good test for average blood sugar. Probably the main reason for testing shortly after diagnosis is to find out which foods affect you most and by how much. A meter is an essential piece of kit for all of us if you want to be in control.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Hi I'm a newby type 2 but on insulin,just wanted to say hello.....
Think this forum is very helpful to newbie and pro's......
Good luck it's a lot to deal with......

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I tested for a while then stopped and the diabetic nurse said keep testing... so supplied me with strips .... it is important I think to keep testing as every day my BG levels are different and need to see what foods do affect the levels :)

moylo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HI ya, had my HbA1c back at 14%, went to the doc and he advises loose weight - all this info online is doing my head in.
I am aware that it would be high as I did nothing but eat **** for a period, but have now got it all sorted. My blood levels are reading average 7.8mmo/l.
Is this ok for an average???
Also what fruit are you allowed to eat, my doc says stay away from pears and most fruit as its all sugar, read online to eat fruit, he tells me no carbs, read online eat carbs?? totally lost

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
HI ya, had my HbA1c back at 14%, went to the doc and he advises loose weight - all this info online is doing my head in.
I am aware that it would be high as I did nothing but eat **** for a period, but have now got it all sorted. My blood levels are reading average 7.8mmo/l.
Is this ok for an average???
Also what fruit are you allowed to eat, my doc says stay away from pears and most fruit as its all sugar, read online to eat fruit, he tells me no carbs, read online eat carbs?? totally lost
7.8 is a bit high, in my opinion. You should really avoid all fruit, but most people can tolerate berries (i.e. raspberries, strawberries, blueberries) without too high a blood glucose rise. Your doc is right about not eating carbs. Carbs turn into glucose very quickly when ingested and cause your blood glucose levels to rise. Basically he is referring to sugar, bread/pasta/grains, rice, and starchy veg (e.g. potatoes). Scroll up and read "BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS ".