Transition to real food post newcastle diet

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Steve50

Don't worry mate, it's hot so bake youself as much as you can in sunshine, its not gonna last for long, as far as fasting goes, again try chilled sparkling water it's so much a life saver for me all the time.

Reactions: 2 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
So - having fasted for a second day (i.e. day 1 - fast - day 2 - light eating - day 3 - fast) my fasting bloods are now 4.5 and my weight back down to below 85kg - close to my lowest. Very happy with that. A simple 2 day adjustment to correct a one meal blow-out. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I Was a horrendous 5.3 today fasting, my highest since post nd, something to do with heat i guess, I was awake all night but hey ho lets see. I only had salad and fish so i'd say virtually no carbs.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 weeks now since I ended ND. Weight has plateaued still (88.2kg) , so no gain - although some more loss would be desireable. My BG are up overall though. Often in the mid to high 5's, even first thing in the morning. Nothing above a 7 after a meal though, so balanced I guess, just not the 4.5's to 4.9's I was getting while NDing.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
End of week 8
No weight gain and no loss
Fasting sugars have crept up slightly into 5's but still all below 5.3 which I guess is good but i dont see a lot of fasting in 4's, but during the day whenever I test it is 4's
Lack of exercise this week has not helped either.
Switched back to lchf strictly so no unwanted carbs going into the system.
Dieting this week to see if i can loose a kilo but not on shakes just salad and proteins restricted to 1000 cals a day.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went to a Macaroon making class on Sunday - a gift from my daughter. Needless to say my fasting bloods were OTT at 8.8 Monday morning. My meter even gave me a bit of a telling off - flashing lights etc..... Weight was also up to 88.8kg.

So - a crash fasting day yesterday - bloods were 5.4 and weight down by 3.2 kg. So much damage can be done in such a short time - and then so much restoration can be achieved in one day of fasting.

I am a bit sick about the high fasting numbers - this tells me I may not be in T2 remission.

Think I'll adjust my weight down again ans see if I can duck under my personal fat threshold. I'll try for my target weight of 82.5.

Reactions: 5 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not quite 3 weeks post ND.

Like you @Steve50 , I've found my BG levels have risen since LCHF started, albeit still acceptable.

I have managed to lose a little more weight this week so far (2lbs from my best at end of ND) and I go to the GP's tomorrow for my first lot of blood tests since starting this process of taking control...I'l be very interested in the results when I sxee my GP the following week.

Reactions: 3 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Like you @Steve50 , I've found my BG levels have risen since LCHF started, albeit still acceptable.

I have managed to lose a little more weight this week so far (2lbs from my best at end of ND) and I go to the GP's tomorrow for my first lot of blood tests since starting this process of taking control...I'l be very interested in the results when I sxee my GP the following week.
Hope it goes well with the BT and GP. Very pleasing to still be losing post NP. I'm giving it a red hot try this week. Think I'll sew my lips together!

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Good luck with the visit to the GP's, hope he's pleased with your results

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ Steve50
"I am a bit sick about the high fasting numbers - this tells me I may not be in T2 remission. "

Just a thought Steve, About 6 months ago I done some comparison tests with my partner and her results were up in the 7s after we both had scoffed some Strawberry Trifle, ( a whole bowl meant for 4 people) and she' NOT diabetic, is it possible that your system just goes high when hit with high carbs, but returns quickly to normal, if so then surly that's a great result, reason saying that, today I had a blueberry Crepe with a Zero Coke ( silly I know, but still testing the waters) my BG at 5.00 pm was 8.6 but 3 hrs later was 5.7, to me that means something's working, and your results are far better than mine,

Reactions: 4 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@ Steve50
"I am a bit sick about the high fasting numbers - this tells me I may not be in T2 remission. "

Just a thought Steve, About 6 months ago I done some comparison tests with my partner and her results were up in the 7s after we both had scoffed some Strawberry Trifle, ( a whole bowl meant for 4 people) and she' NOT diabetic, is it possible that your system just goes high when hit with high carbs, but returns quickly to normal, if so then surly that's a great result, reason saying that, today I had a blueberry Crepe with a Zero Coke ( silly I know, but still testing the waters) my BG at 5.00 pm was 8.6 but 3 hrs later was 5.7, to me that means something's working, and your results are far better than mine,
Thanks for that WR.

I guess I'll know for sure next week. I had bloods taken at the hospital yesterday and I face the GP next Friday for a meds evaluation. I'll let you know what she thinks. Its a different GP - not one I've met before, so it will be interesting to discuss the NP and get her reaction.

I'm thinking I do have a slow response to dealing with sugar - as you say. So I am going for a lower weight target. Back to my end of NP weight now - and going for a couple more kg's.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that WR.

I guess I'll know for sure next week. I had bloods taken at the hospital yesterday and I face the GP next Friday for a meds evaluation. I'll let you know what she thinks. Its a different GP - not one I've met before, so it will be interesting to discuss the NP and get her reaction.

I'm thinking I do have a slow response to dealing with sugar - as you say. So I am going for a lower weight target. Back to my end of NP weight now - and going for a couple more kg's.

A few weeks ago my son came to do some work on his Christmas trees (he pinched part of my hay field for them and I have been giving him a hand when he comes to do things to them. I was testing my glucose before our lunch and he asked to have his fasting one done; he had been out and had a lot to eat and lots of beer with his mates the night before (he is a policeman!) and his glucose was 12.4; we did it again as I was really shocked and it was correct. When he has been over since we have checked his glucose a few times as I was really worried but it has always been well in the normal range so hopefully you will be OK. Good luck.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just got my a1c and I am absolutely shocked to death with it, It has gone up by 1 point, its now 40 so just below prediabetic but this a1c had all my nd readings and I was pretty sure to get this one slightly lower than my last one at 39. Only positive, if i am forced to see one in this a1c reading is I was on no metformin or any medication.
I had this exactly after 1 month of ND and in that 1 month after nd I did eat some high carb foods but I am absolutely devastated looking at this a1c result. On my meter i never see more than 5.2 5.3 so I dont know how I got a figure of 40.
I am now using two meters to see if my codefree is giving me incorrect results by any chance and the difference between two is negligible.
I even showed my meter to DN and she has written in her review mostly all readings are 4 except a few in 5's as I took my meter with me.
I dont know what to make of this a1c so bad news on my end, I was quite upbeat with my test results on codefree but I am now wondering if they are or were correct????
I will try and see if they can give me one more form for bloods for a1c, I doubt it though as the DN wants me to be at about 53 54 and for her this result would be perfect as she expected me to jump by 20 points after stopping metformin, which has not really happened but this was supposed to reflect my nd results and should have been lower.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Arab Horse, you seemed to confirm my suspicion that none Diabetic's can also fluctuate, but come back down to normal very quickly, and "we" on this forum are all Diabetic, so we are more concerned with our BG's, and that also makes us very much more aware of our ups and downs, which makes me think that "we" shouldn't panic when our BG's flutter, Sorry @Steve50 and @brettsza, just trying to reassure you both, you to guys figures have been brilliant over the last 3 or 4 months, BTW Brettsza, Thanks matey, now I am dreading going anywhere near my GP for an Ha1c checkup.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All I will say is that it takes a while after nd to settle and improve. You liver and pancreas gut microbs have to sort themselves out

Reactions: 5 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @Wildrover dont mean to really upset you or stress you out, I just wanted to share what happened on my a1c with everyone so we all know whats going on.

Than you so much @Andrew Colvin for your message, I think it makes a lot of sense, Ireally got depressed on my a1c results but your post has just helped so much, I am now looking forward to my next a1c to see what progress I can make from this point.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @Wildrover dont mean to really upset you or stress you out, I just wanted to share what happened on my a1c with everyone so we all know whats going on.

Than you so much @Andrew Colvin for your message, I think it makes a lot of sense, Ireally got depressed on my a1c results but your post has just helped so much, I am now looking forward to my next a1c to see what progress I can make from this point.

No worries, my point was that we on this site are so aware of our BG levels and we have the tools and knowledge to better control them, the experts like Prof Taylor, Dr Jason Fung, and others all work to better the life of Diabetic's, and as far as I know (I stand corrected) no one has ever done lengthy surveys or studies on Non Diabetic's, to see just what and how their levels are, everybody seems to assume that as long as we all stay under 6.2 mmol then we're all right, but I know my OH's levels vary and she's not Diabetic, and also for AB's son, and I feel then that surly it's safe to assume that well controlled Diabetic's levels will also vary, BUT we (because we live by our meter) are instantly more aware of it, As for me, my levels are between 5.9 and 7.1. Yet for no reason would jump to over 8.0, then an hour later, back down to my normal, sorry for rabbiting on, just thought I had discovered a reason for our levels jumping and that this was natural in all types, forgive me, "senile moment " Alzheimer's setting in

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreed, @Wildrover, had I not been testing mine we wouldn't have done my son's. I did check it later in the day and it was normal and have done it a couple of times since and it has always been fine. However, with the genetic thing I did tell him to be careful as he doesn't want to end up like me; I'm sure he would agree with that!!!!

Reactions: 3 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ok - so the fasting idea continues. It seems to be working ok. I dropped 4kg in 4 days. Mostly water I suspect. Back down to the weight I was at the end of the NP.

I have to see my GP next Friday for a meds review. I'll keep the fasting pattern going til then. I'll pay attention at the GP's this time and collect up all of my scores over the last few blood tests so I can see what, if any, difference the NP has made.

Last time I went to the GP I was 97kg - so I'm expecting a 'gasp' - or at least a noticeable intake of breath - otherwise I'll be disappointed. ;)