New to forum and just obtained a blood monitor

Nick..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Morning All,

For the last couple of weeks I've been incredibly thirsty and I'm also very overweight, have been for years, so I've always thought Type 2 Diabetes would be an inevitability if I couldn't get my weight under control.

Well the first reading I took yesterday was 24 mmo/l which, I think, is extremely high.

So straight away I spoke to a family member and will be going to see my GP tomorrow.

I have another go this morning straight after waking up and I'm struggling to get used to getting blood and using the machine, but my readings were 2.3 (!!), 24 and then 17

I guess I'm just getting used to testing myself, but I assume those results can't be right? I think I probably got most blood onto the strip for the 17 result, which first thing in the morning isn't good is it!?

Anyway, I guess this is a bit of an introduction more than anything, but these numbers have obviously got me quite rattled and stressed and I just wanted to join this forum and begin talking about diabetes.

Nick

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hello and welcome
well done for testing and when you realise vwhat foods to avoid,your readings will come down

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Nick..

Hello Nick and welcome to the forum :) To help you, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful to you before tomorrow. Ask as any questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Nick..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks everyone!
I'll post back with the diagnosis. Might not get an appt tomorrow, but fingers crossed.
Not sure I can afford to fund my current Robinson's Cordial addiction, so hopefully the thirst subsides when the Dr. gets to the bottom of it
Nick

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi and welcome.
Let us know what the Dr says.
I wouldnt drink the cordial if I were you,if its full of sugar it will spike your blood,drink water,I put a slice of lemon in it.
All the best

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes do lay off the cordial and the carbs .... and let us know what the DR says :shifty:

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make sure you wash and dry your hands thoroughly before you test. This will help keep the readings consistent (no contamination from preparing food etc)

Following the advice given here will help you lower the reading quickly and significantly.

Reducing carbohydrates will be the key if you are Type 2. It will seem daunting at first, but if in doubt just ask. We've all been through it and after a few weeks all will become clear.

The no added sugar Robinson's is okay for me at least. Also sparkling water will be your friend too

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
We have all been in your position, look on diabetes as a challenge you have to learn about the condition about your body and what you eat.

First step is getting into the habit of reading the dietary info label of everything that passes your lips even bottled water, some flavoured waters are loaded with sugar. Once you cut down on the carbohydrates you should see the numbers fall.

Most us here have found the guidance on what to eat and what not to eat on the forum much effective than the official NHS dogma on diabetes. It really boils down to avoiding all carbohydrates including pasta, rice, potatoes, breakfast cereals at least to the extent of only having them in very small portions.
As carbohydrates provide much of the fuel the body burns to replace them you have to consume a greater proportion of foods which contain fats and oils --- where possible "good" oils.
In some ways this will turn what is normally considered a good balanced diet upside,

Nick..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Evening all, thanks so much for all your advice.

Confirmed I am diabetic, had a reading of 24 or so in with the GP, who was really nice and helpful.

Have a bloodtest scheduled and a meeting with the dietician, I've basically lived on carbs mainly to this point other than meat, and I know/knew this was bad.

New life starts here I guess.

I'm currently reading up on the Newcastle diet and am considering giving this a go between now and seeing the dietician. I expect the meeting with the dietician to be the point at which I establish how I'm going to live, eat and exercise from here on in.

But I think the VLCD is worth a go to see if I can kick this into the grass. The Dr actually said, as a bit of an aside, that I should look into experimental low calorie diets. He said there wasn't anything official medically about them currently, but that he'd seen people have success following those plans

Was prescribed Metformin and the other one that brings blood/sugar down rapidly as he was worried about how high my reading was.

I'm going to miss you, sugar. :(

Thanks!
Nick

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
For me I found I missed the carbs more than sugar, it easier to get used to not eating boiled sweets than bread rolls.
Part of the key to success is trying to ensure what you do eat is top quality.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Nick..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Something that's confusing me about the Newcastle Diet is that, the emphasis seems to be entirely on weight loss, and very rapid weight loss.

Which makes me wonder why certain "healthy" foods are forbidden. I think I would stand a far greater chance of success if I introduced some chicken or fish with the vegetables, even if I nudged the daily calorie intake up to 1,000, over the course of 8 weeks (or maybe longer), I would imagine the weight loss would be dramatic, and the diet would be far more achievable.

I guess I'm talking myself out of it :)

By the way Sirmione, I totally agree. I think when I said sugar I meant all those things that are bad for our blood sugars. I'll certainly be asking the dietician if there's any possible way I could keep the odd hot, crusty white roll as part of my diet.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I havent gone on any diet as I dont think a diet as such is sustainable,I didnt need to lose weight but I have lost two stone in a year and trying to maintain my weight.
I just cut right down on carbs,bread rice pasta,some fruits,I have never been a sweet tooth so that wasnt a problem.
I have sugar free jelly at times and all berries and cream,.
My BG has gone down from 58 to 44 in a year.
I eat all veg,meat a couple of small potatoes,I have one slice of Hovis seeded bread a day.
I feel very well and have no diabetic complications.
I will always eat like this and there isnt any food I miss.
But saying this we are all different.
All the best.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I am very much with Patricia21 on this, the first step is control what you are eating by simply cutting out the sugars and minimising the more complex carbs, look on it as changing your approach to eating rather than going on a diet.
With simple changes you will quickly see your BG readings in the downward trend, after that you can consider the various more restrictive "diets' and if you do go on one are more likely to succeed.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Something that's confusing me about the Newcastle Diet is that, the emphasis seems to be entirely on weight loss, and very rapid weight loss.

Which makes me wonder why certain "healthy" foods are forbidden. I think I would stand a far greater chance of success if I introduced some chicken or fish with the vegetables, even if I nudged the daily calorie intake up to 1,000, over the course of 8 weeks (or maybe longer), I would imagine the weight loss would be dramatic, and the diet would be far more achievable.

I guess I'm talking myself out of it :)

By the way Sirmione, I totally agree. I think when I said sugar I meant all those things that are bad for our blood sugars. I'll certainly be asking the dietician if there's any possible way I could keep the odd hot, crusty white roll as part of my diet.
You do not have to do it with "shakes" I used normal food with chicken, steak, even the odd pie and chips and ice cream. Just eat less and if you burn calories with exercise it gives you scope to eat a little more. The key is to keep the calories to a deficiet

Nick..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Great advice, thanks everyone.

Obviously I'm a bit all over the place at the moment as not only am I not well enough educated on what my diet should look like, the kitchen is full of all the convenience stuff that I've lived on up until now, and I still need to address my hunger 3 times a day!

I think initially I'll come up with what looks healthy to me ahead of a nutritionist visit next week and re-fill the cupboards and fridge with that.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
You don't have to ditch all the convince foods, for example I eat those rather special M&S Scotch Eggs without problem, you just have to be careful and read the labels on everything. You also have get an idea of the of sugar & carb content of fruits and vegetables.

Buying good quality food that you actually enjoy will help you keep on path to well being.
For example I rarely ate salads in this country, but always ate them in Italy because the quality was so much better than in the in the UK, now having sampled the prepared salads from all the major supermarkets I have discovered that M&S salads are pretty close to those in Italy in taste and texture and I found Aldi the best of the rest.

Nick..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for that; Scotch eggs just made my trial list for lunches :)

The most important thing for me is that the crisps, white bread, crackers, biscuits and chocolate are gone for now, and possibly gone for good for most of that. Those were the harmful staples I was eating every day, and also the ones that got over-eaten after a few too many drinks.

I'd love to be able to have a bit of chocolate or pudding from time to time, I guess time will tell whether that will be ok for me.

My blood sugar test have dropped somewhat, still probably horrifying numbers for some of you, but as I was up at 24-26 over the weekend, I'm seeing max of around 16-17 now so hopefully they continue to fall.

Reasonable day today, probably still reliant on bread too much (had a few slices of wholegrain with break fast and lunch), eggs for breakfast, soup for lunch, ham as a snack this afternoon, couple of apples, chicken, veg and (horror!) bit of mashed potato with dinner....