Prediabetes or Not?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were you I would keep a check on what your BS is doing during the day because I would be concerned to see high 6's before evening meal. I would be less concerned about a rise of under 2mmol/l (although I do aim for less than that)

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were you I would keep a check on what your BS is doing during the day because I would be concerned to see high 6's before evening meal. I would be less concerned about a rise of under 2mmol/l (although I do aim for less than that)
Yes, you are right I will test more once my order of strips arrive in the post.
I want to get BG lowered without meds if possible.

My first test yesterday was 6.7, I expected it to be below 5.9 and then checked it again 7.0, and a minute later got 7.2 and thought I'll better stop or I'll really give myself a scare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible that the heat may have put my readings up?

Mads7

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I assume you mean broad beans? Lol. Beads wouldn't do you much good!

Firstly, your 6.7 before dinner was too high. Generally speaking, our levels before evening meal are usually the lowest of the day as insulin resistance improves gradually as the day goes on.

Secondly, peas and beans, let alone a small potato, can raise levels. Peas and pulses are quite heavy on the old carbs compared with some vegetables. Some people can manage them, others can't.

Having said that, the actual rise was just under 2mmol/l. Could be better, could be worse.

Did you eat anything between finishing your lunch and taking your before dinner reading that might have caused the 6.7?
Sorry to jump on the thread, your comment above about levels should be lowest before the evening meal, I find mine are usually at the highest then, between 6.2-7.6, is that a concern?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to jump on the thread, your comment above about levels should be lowest before the evening meal, I find mine are usually at the highest then, between 6.2-7.6, is that a concern?

If it were me I would be concerned and looking for a reason.

Do you snack between lunch and evening meal? Do you have strenuous exercise too close to evening meal? Is there a long enough gap between lunch and evening meal? Or is the gap too long? What are you a couple of hours after lunch and are you still rising or going down at that point? What are you before breakfast/fasting? What are you before lunch?

Others may have different opinions, but if I were at those levels before dinner any carbs in my meal would take me to the 8's or higher, which isn't acceptable to me as a regular occurrence.

Mads7

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it were me I would be concerned and looking for a reason.

Do you snack between lunch and evening meal? Do you have strenuous exercise too close to evening meal? Is there a long enough gap between lunch and evening meal? Or is the gap too long? What are you a couple of hours after lunch and are you still rising or going down at that point? What are you before breakfast/fasting? What are you before lunch?

Others may have different opinions, but if I were at those levels before dinner any carbs in my meal would take me to the 8's or higher, which isn't acceptable to me as a regular occurrence.
Thank you for your response :)
I don't snack between lunch and dinner and I don't exercise before or after dinner either, it's usually around 3-4 hours between meals. My morning fasting levels are between 5.8-6.3, before lunch (though I haven't done these as often) between 5-6.2 and 2 hours after lunch are 6.2-7.6. 2 hours After dinner is anywhere from 5.6-6.6 and usually rises until I go to bed. Though today I had a low of 3.6 within 20 minutes of a 7.8 so I'm pretty confused.. I've been pre-diabetic for the last 10 years which I've managed with diet and exercise until a recent weight gain 6 months ago that would not shift with my usual means, which is why my endo has me checking sugars atm. I don't know whether I'm hitting type 2 or still pre-diabetes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your response :)
I don't snack between lunch and dinner and I don't exercise before or after dinner either, it's usually around 3-4 hours between meals. My morning fasting levels are between 5.8-6.3, before lunch (though I haven't done these as often) between 5-6.2 and 2 hours after lunch are 6.2-7.6. 2 hours After dinner is anywhere from 5.6-6.6 and usually rises until I go to bed. Though today I had a low of 3.6 within 20 minutes of a 7.8 so I'm pretty confused.. I've been pre-diabetic for the last 10 years which I've managed with diet and exercise until a recent weight gain 6 months ago that would not shift with my usual means, which is why my endo has me checking sugars atm. I don't know whether I'm hitting type 2 or still pre-diabetes.

I can't advise you either way. All you can do is wait until you have seen your Endo with your readings. Hopefully she will arrange an HbA1c and/or an oral glucose tolerance test for you.

Was that low of 3.6 before or after your 7.8?

Mads7

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't advise you either way. All you can do is wait until you have seen your Endo with your readings. Hopefully she will arrange an HbA1c and/or an oral glucose tolerance test for you.

Was that low of 3.6 before or after your 7.8?
It was 20 minutes after the 7.8. I checked so soon because that was quite high so I wanted to see whether it would go higher or lower