Help! Type 1.

intentionally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been type 1 diabetic for 7 yrs and have recently been put on the pump. Over the years I have gradually been gaining lots of weight so decided I had to do something. Have been low carbing for the last month but have not lost any weight! Anybody have any tips? Should I be excessively exercising as well? Do I need to watch my calorie count? How long does it take for you to see any results?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope you get some replies @Jaspreetds

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jasprertds. Have you been able to reduce your insulin requirements since starting the low carbing?

Personally I judge how well my low carbing is going by how much reduced my insulin requirements are. And I find this reduced insulin demand seems to be closely related to the potential for weight loss as well.

intentionally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have reduced my basal by 40% and have reduced my bolus too as I am not eating that many carbs. Just wanted to know how long it takes before I notice any weight loss?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have reduced my basal by 40% and have reduced my bolus too as I am not eating that many carbs. Just wanted to know how long it takes before I notice any weight loss?
Ok that's good.

It seems that the degree of weight loss on LCHF varies a lot from one person to the next. I've lost about 10kg since starting LCHF, but it still hasn't been exactly easy. Before I started LCHF however, I was finding it basically impossible. So not exactly easy, but definitely easier than before.

In my case, my overall health also improved a lot on the LCHF diet, so I'm sure that helped with the weight loss as well.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very hard to lose weight, but consistency is required. I am in the same boat as you are. If you are working out, which is kind of a must, try short but intense intervals to burn far. Long and light workouts are not efficient. I need to know what kind of exercise you do, so I can help you more on better way to lose fat during an exercise session.

intentionally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies. I normally go to classes 3 times a week which involves spin, boxercise and aerobics.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Are you really low carbing? The best test for this is having a blood ketone monitor, which you should have as a type 1 on pump. Being in a state of ketosis and having blood glucose in control show a healthy state of fat burning. If your not in ketosis it's highly likely your not following a low (enough) carb diet. Also you can't have regular cheat days on low carb as the body can take up to a week to recover back into a state of optimum fat burning.
I have done LCHF since January this year and have lost 10kg slowly, without once being hungry and little change in my activity. My ketone readings are generally around 0.5-1.5 most the time. I have noticed intensive/competitive exercise seems to stop ketosis/fat burning temporarily too!
If in doubt eat less carbs, protein and eat more good fat.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally second with more fat, less protein, and no carb diet. That takes time to adjust, but once done and adjusted by body in few weeks, you start to get losing weight. I started this ketogenic diet last month. I feel energetic, cravings almost gone, and having fun at the gym because I can finish my workout without feeling tired. Also, I wake up in a good mood in the morning, though I was not a morning person as far as I know myself.

In short, look up for ketogenic dieting online. That may work for you, too. In some articles write like T1Ds need to be careful with this type of dieting, but I haven't heard anyone gotten in trouble trying this diet.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think measurements are key too.

It depends upon whether you are actually toning up fat and turning it to muscle... Muscle weighs heavier than fat. I weigh the same normally (nowadays) which I want to but my size reduces from exercise.

Take your measurements properly as well..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Atalay.
Its impossible for a no carb diet... Even a lettuce has carbs in it if you eat enough. Type 1's also with their fats n proteins have to bolus, although this is not directly linked to weight prob.

Please do not think of recommending "no carb" as honest...if you are going to eat salmon n salad like I do.. I still have 18 carbs in my salads!!!

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Atalay.
Its impossible for a no carb diet... Even a lettuce has carbs in it if you eat enough. Type 1's also with their fats n proteins have to bolus, although this is not directly linked to weight prob.

Please do not think of recommending "no carb" as honest...if you are going to eat salmon n salad like I do.. I still have 18 carbs in my salads!!!
Oh yes you are right on that, I certainly input lack of info up there, sorry.

Yes, lettuce even has carbs. What I lacked of saying that, we do not need to look for carbs like potatoe, bread or such.

Sorry...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Less or lesser carbs!! - lol!!