newbie type 2 on insulin

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Hello, this is all new did do a post but think I've put it into wrong place!!!
Anyway ,I was diagnosed with type 2 steroid induced about a month ago.
I have multiple health issues requiring me to always be on a baseline of 10 mg prednisone,and frequently 40/30 mg doses.....consequently it effects my b/g levels. I started on levemir but had huge welts and bruises so changed to lantus solostar,all good,but now have apidra solostar as well,and perhaps my technique isn't right but the bruises are back!!! Any tips welcomed......

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know the needle size and whether you have an average skin thickness. I wonder whether the steroids are affecting the skin a bit?

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Can you let us know the needle size and whether you have an average skin thickness. I wonder whether the steroids are affecting the skin a bit?
Thank you for replying,I have gluco Rx finepoint 0.25 x5 mm. I too thought the steroids but after changing from levemir to lantus it stopped,but now started with the apidra. It's worse on my legs than my tum,but I did hit a capillary in my tum last week which is nice and black and blue!!!

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello Daibell, I have replied but then have seen this box and not sure if I should have replied in here?....sorry total newbie who is trying to cope with all of this plus injections....I feel like a pin cushion,testing 7 times a day,injecting 3.....does it get easier???

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to say hi and welcome, hope things get better for you soon

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just wanted to say hi and welcome, hope things get better for you soon
Thank you....that's kind of you.....I have to cope with breathing/lung problems( have never smoked) plus adrenal insufficiency,bile acid malabsorption- hence going straight onto insulin and now this. Because of my gut I have limited foods I can eat,which causes b/g issues,I try to keep on top of everything but I'm not superwoman and decided to join the forum just to be able to talk and not feel sorry for myself....so thank you for welcoming me.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you....that's kind of you.....I have to cope with breathing/lung problems( have never smoked) plus adrenal insufficiency,bile acid malabsorption- hence going straight onto insulin and now this. Because of my gut I have limited foods I can eat,which causes b/g issues,I try to keep on top of everything but I'm not superwoman and decided to join the forum just to be able to talk and not feel sorry for myself....so thank you for welcoming me.
You are having a rough time of it, but at least you have found the right place for diabetes. There might be some changes you can make to your diet could help your blood sugar levels, but obviously need to make sure it won't upset you in other ways. Sounds pretty good to me the way you are coping, and I think we are all entitled to feel sorry for ourselves from time to time - I cried a lot when I was diagnosed, but then picked myself up and with the support on here decided to tackle this one head on. It's great to talk to others who have something in common and can understand.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You are having a rough time of it, but at least you have found the right place for diabetes. There might be some changes you can make to your diet could help your blood sugar levels, but obviously need to make sure it won't upset you in other ways. Sounds pretty good to me the way you are coping, and I think we are all entitled to feel sorry for ourselves from time to time - I cried a lot when I was diagnosed, but then picked myself up and with the support on here decided to tackle this one head on. It's great to talk to others who have something in common and can understand.

Thank you,I have been looking at the site since diagnosis,wasn't sure if to join or not. But such positivity I thought I could use some of it. Yes, tears by the bucket load....thank you...

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for the info. Steroids can be a problem with blood sugar so it must be difficult. Keep the carbs down when you can but obviously your food choices may be limited. The 5mm needle is slightly larger than the lowest (4mm) but not by much. I think you are just unlucky with the bruising and you may need to seek more guidance from the DN.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you,I have been looking at the site since diagnosis,wasn't sure if to join or not. But such positivity I thought I could use some of it. Yes, tears by the bucket load....thank you...
So glad you did join. You are more than welcome, happy to chat anytime. :)

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Thanks for the info. Steroids can be a problem with blood sugar so it must be difficult. Keep the carbs down when you can but obviously your food choices may be limited. The 5mm needle is slightly larger than the lowest (4mm) but not by much. I think you are just unlucky with the bruising and you may need to seek more guidance from the DN.
Thank you.....

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you.....
Hello I spoke D.N....going to run through techniques with me but says like you I could just be unlucky and bruise....

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for that. I spoke to DN who said that's probably it then. But thank you for going to the trouble to source the info for me....very kind.....

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So glad you did join. You are more than welcome, happy to chat anytime. :)
Did you ever have a day when you just feel like saying to hell with injecting...I know I'm only a month into doing this and the thought of always having to do it is playing havoc with my mind....I know it's just an injection but it's the rigmarole surrounding it...did you go through this? Or am I just being daft.....

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think everyone has days when they just want to feel the same as everyone else and not have to go through this. I'm currently diet controlled but try and test regularly, however my little finger was not happy about that this morning! There is something called diabetes burnout which I guess we could all hit at some point no matter how far into the journey we are. I think the thing to focus on is keeping your health as good as you can and the injections will be better than the long term effects of poor control. As you have made it through your first month, maybe think about treating yourself to some flowers or a lovely day out at the weekend to help appreciate the good things in life. Am currently thinking how lucky I am that I got this wake-up call to take better care of myself. Plus I wouldn't have found the forum and got to share experiences with other members

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for that,just being daft,yes I will do that....just get so cross that I have to have steroids daily and I've had sooooo many other things associated with them that the "sentence" of diabetes seems unfair........but guess like everyone else on this forum there are ways to cope out there and will keep reading posts. Thank you really appreciate your advice.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think everyone has days when they just want to feel the same as everyone else and not have to go through this. I'm currently diet controlled but try and test regularly, however my little finger was not happy about that this morning! There is something called diabetes burnout which I guess we could all hit at some point no matter how far into the journey we are. I think the thing to focus on is keeping your health as good as you can and the injections will be better than the long term effects of poor control. As you have made it through your first month, maybe think about treating yourself to some flowers or a lovely day out at the weekend to help appreciate the good things in life. Am currently thinking how lucky I am that I got this wake-up call to take better care of myself. Plus I wouldn't have found the forum and got to share experiences with other members
Bought the flowers......