It's been 35ºC today. How have your sugar levels been reacting?

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Mine have been very low most the day!! 2u less per jab I reckon when like this...
I am intrigued to know how everyone else has been?

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have been high for most of the morning and now I an dropping low haha

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It didn't get as warm here, in fact thunder and lightening were the order of the day :eek:

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
it very hot in Nottingham

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine were ok at work as air con office, but have lowered my basal a bit as a precaution. When I've been to hot countries I've needed a LOT less insulin, literally 40% less.

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Husbands has been higher than normal and he even went for a 40minute walk! Mad man.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had so many hypos since it's got hot, lowered my basal on pump and giving less for bolus but still happening, my DSN told me she normally has patients that go high with the heat and hadn't heard of people saying they go low because of it, so glad I am not alone lol

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So low all day :( even stuffed my face with garlic bread the increase was so minimal. So full but got to eat before sleeping

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My blood sugars always get lower in the hot weather quite frustrating at times.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to reduce insulin in hot weather, it always used to be hypo time on injections. But yesterday was exceptional - usual TDD between 18 and 19.5iu average when not ill, but tues 16.4 TDD, and yesterday 14.34iu TDD. Suspended the pump three times, several hours in total.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Stable at 5 mmol, but I have been sitting in an air conditioned office since 07:30. When I go outside they will rocket , its about 37 degrees here at the momement

Goldmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too Carole Anne. I've not felt any symptoms when I've been low either and I normally get pretty clear hypo symptoms.

Mia_Malaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people, weird textures and dentists!!
So..Sat waiting for the results of the second hypo of the day to wear off and spotted this (excuse any typos/nonsense :-S)
So, the usual reaction to any remotely pleasant, warm weather is lower blood sugar and the off hyping as I struggle to keep BG high enough...
Well, what's currently happening is a bit of a change from the norm! I have been running high all day (9.6 at lunch, and 2 hours later) This is despite eating and injecting the same as usual for breakfast (at 5.8mmol) and correcting for the higher results then boom! 6PM hypo (2.2mmol) :'( This is the same as happened yesterday and I am struggling to get my head around it - do I just leave the 9.6 results?!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd suggest, given that timing, that the ta your basal that's likely to be the culprit. I find I need to drop mine a bit in higher temps.

Reactions: 2 people

Mia_Malaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people, weird textures and dentists!!
Thanks tim2000s! Worth a go, I had never thought of that being the culprit and was sure it was the bolus!

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It makes a big difference for me, lower my basal, and take less fast acting.