Pump day tomorrow!

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So tomorrow is the big day I'm getting my pump, nervous but excited at the same time. Waiting on a call from my nurse about what to do with my insulin in the morning. I'll be getting the training but I was wondering how long on average is the training?

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fantastic news Nicola:)

I was in & out in the morning on my first day but did do a lot of homework on the pump beforehand, just be prepared to be there for the day and don't come away unless your entirely comfortable with using your pump. Good luck and hope all goes well.

Reactions: 8 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
excellent news nicola !!
keep us updated.

Reactions: 4 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got out from training. Got my new animas vibe pum in pink all set up and insulin is now flowing through! So happy right now

Reactions: 5 people

iHs

Just got out from training. Got my new animas vibe pum in pink all set up and insulin is now flowing through! So happy right now

Hi

Not sure what basal rate settings have been entered into the Vibe but dont go to bed tonight with bg levels that are on 6mmol just in case yr bg levels start dropping due to the basal level not quite right. Better on yr first night to go to bed on 7-8mmol and enjoy a good nights sleep. You can get yr overnight basals a bit more ok over the next coming week as the backgroun effect of Lantus or Levemir start to leave. Test bg about every 2hrs in the day to get an idea on whether yr bolus carb ratio is correct and plays ball ok with yr basal rates. In the settings menu, its possible to scroll through the screens and increase the contrast level up so that its easier to see the screen display when outside (turn back to the sun and hold pump tilted at waist level).

Enjoy playing with yr new toy :)

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great advise from @iHs

Just one other thing Nicola, when you do start adjusting your basal rates and get them right keep a written record of them, this will come in handy should your pump fail and you need to loan one or replace it.

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very good to hear you are up and running with your pink Animas Vibe @Nicola M. I hope things go nice and smoothly for you as you get used to it. Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Not sure what basal rate settings have been entered into the Vibe but dont go to bed tonight with bg levels that are on 6mmol just in case yr bg levels start dropping due to the basal level not quite right. Better on yr first night to go to bed on 7-8mmol and enjoy a good nights sleep. You can get yr overnight basals a bit more ok over the next coming week as the backgroun effect of Lantus or Levemir start to leave. Test bg about every 2hrs in the day to get an idea on whether yr bolus carb ratio is correct and plays ball ok with yr basal rates. In the settings menu, its possible to scroll through the screens and increase the contrast level up so that its easier to see the screen display when outside (turn back to the sun and hold pump tilted at waist level).

Enjoy playing with yr new toy :)

Thanks for the great advice !