Is Tresiba any good?

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please can you tell me how many units of Tresiba you are taking compared to that of Levemir?
Hi Donnellysdogs.

I was taking one shot of levemir a day and I take the same no. of units of treisba so it was a straight 1:1 swap for me.

Currently taking 5 units once per day (used to be 3 units but I had a chest infection recently and my sugars went high and I inc. my basal and it never came back done when I recovered.....weird)

Andrea

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Donnellysdogs.

I was taking one shot of levemir a day and I take the same no. of units of treisba so it was a straight 1:1 swap for me.

Currently taking 5 units once per day (used to be 3 units but I had a chest infection recently and my sugars went high and I inc. my basal and it never came back done when I recovered.....weird)

Andrea

Thank you Andrea.. It is good to see an overall picture of multiple persons swopping and therir usage rather than just a snapshot to make a truly well assessed costing etc of tresiba.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Smidge
Can you tell me please how many units you are on with Tresiba compared to the daily dose(s) of levemir?

@donnellysdogs, certainly. I have settled on 9 units of Tresiba in one dose whereas I ended up on about 16 units Levemir and rising split over two doses and no real control - you should know that I was correcting at least twice a day (often more) with 1.5 to 2.5 units Apidra as Levemir was simply **** for me. It would run out early morning and late afternoon. Before I switched off it, I actually moved to two different basals (levemir and Insuman) to try to get some control. I would throw away at least half a cartridge of each per month.

Smidge

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@donnellysdogs, certainly. I have settled on 9 units of Tresiba in one dose whereas I ended up on about 16 units Levemir and rising split over two doses and no real control - you should know that I was correcting at least twice a day (often more) with 1.5 to 2.5 units Apidra as Levemir was simply **** for me. It would run out early morning and late afternoon. Before I switched off it, I actually moved to two different basals (levemir and Insuman) to try to get some control. I would throw away at least half a cartridge of each per month.

Smidge

Thank you Smidge... Very much appreciated..

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Smidge... Very much appreciated..

An additional argument would be the improved quality of life. I cannot tell you how much better it is not to have to get up at 6.30am every morning to jab - it was taking over my life having to be home at 6.30pm and get up at 6.30am even during weekends and holidays to take my basal. Levemir was so finicky about jabbing at a consistent time. I now take one Tresiba jab at 10pm - it has improved my life so much.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Do CCG's measure quality of life?? I wish!!

Thank you.. I totally agree with how 1 jab could be so much more relaxing...

I just returned from hospital after a horrendous time this morn due to not having flaxseeds on Fri n Sat.. However. They actually recorded in hospital that I was a type 2!! I looked at my admittance notes....
They checked bloods regularly but didn't believe me that I was going to go hypo....(4.5) they let me crash to 3.1... Before offering a sugary tea...
And they really did not understand anything or consider my diabetes at all... So good job I was not kept in until 11pm whenI needed my shot. They didn't even ask if I had my injections with me... Etc.

I'm meeting with the CEO of this hospital (not my diabetes hospital) in a few weeks time for a tour behind the scenes and for the CEO to consider A&E patient experience... So this will be interesting.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Don't mention quality of life. There's a formula for this that results in QALYs which then feed into ICERs in the NICE documents.

This will help you understand these terms:

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/painres/download/whatis/qaly.pdf

They are intriguing because the typically drastically underestimate how many good quality years of life that a well controlled diabetic might get. NICE also has a method of applying a monetary value to these things.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Don't mention quality of life. There's a formula for this that results in QALYs which then feed into ICERs in the NICE documents.

This will help you understand these terms:

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/painres/download/whatis/qaly.pdf

They are intriguing because the typically drastically underestimate how many good quality years of life that a well controlled diabetic might get. NICE also has a method of applying a monetary value to these things.

That's scarey.... Wasn't aware of that documentation!! Hugely scarey to me!! Will have a good read thru tomorrow when hopefully back to 100%... Thank you Tim for responding.. Never knew this existed!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was on 33u Levemir per day (28u before breakfast and 5u before bed) and now 20u Tresiba.

Blimey that is a huge difference. Thank you so much for your input.... I very much value your time to let me know.

Basically our CCG has double redlined this drug for all patients. This I believe has been inaccurately assessed by our CCG.

I have written a letter to all directors of the CCG and it is now being handled as a complaint and being investigated. I will get a response from the CEO within 2-3 weeks.

I will get an opportunity to appeal the CEO decision if I believe it is incorrect.

I do not believe that consultants should have to spend their valuable time writing begging letters to a CCG that has inaccurately evaluated the price of degludec.

I have also written to all the NICE directors individually regarding this. A postcode lottery should not be allowed for drugs that are being decribed as "considerable extra cost" when they actually are less cost when needles and priming and reduced dosage is considered.

Thank you so much for letting me know.