Type 2 Feeling confused ….cocktail of diabetes medication…

jimsboss

I'm almost in the same position, however I only take 14units on Humulin in the evening. I got hit by a parasite (gut bleeder!) in Turkey a few weeks back and was told to stop taking the statin as it was weakening my gut lining. I also gave up on the blood pressure med as it was it gave me erectile disfuction. I use deoderised garlic in its place and blood pressure is good. My problem is fatty foods and alcohol. One extra pint and a couple of chips or meat with fat and I'm up half the night coughing. Oh, and I've got COPD/ asmah!!

Sally49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rap music and tomato ketchup
I'm in much the same boat as many of you. I take 1000 x mg Glucophage a day, 10x mg Ramipril for bp which works like a dream happily, 40mg of Lipitor for cholesterol but i've no idea what my cholesterol is so I don't know if it's working or not, 15mg of lansoprazole as i get so sick in the mornings, and then 60 units Levemir morning and night, and supposed to take 32 units of Novorapid 3 times a day with meals. None of it was really making much of dent - readings could go to 18 sometimes and then plummet to 5 which was a hypo starting. Now I've been put on 100mg of something called Invokana which is canagliflozin. That seems to be working ok. Is canagliflozin an established treatment and if so, how are my compatriots on here finding it?

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just been looking back to see what has happened since my partner started on the insulin in February....rather worryingly weight has increased by 9kg or 20lbs since the end of January (was 120kg / now 129kg)...so nearly one and a half stone in just five months...

....can only really attribute this to the insulin as oral diabetic medication and blood pressure medication are virtually the same as before....activity levels are unchanged (inactive)....

...as for food this has changed ...and for the most part has changed for the better as he is now only eating salads for main meal and has no potatoes anymore and very little or no bread....there are I know a few things he is eating at other times that he knows (and I know) he shouldn't but would say he is certainly not indulging in the way he did before (only nine months ago it was far worse and he was overindulging on foods without a second thought and in total denial about his diabetes so progress has most definitely been made) ...and that is his choice, not mine...I can only advise against bad food choices where I can but ultimately his choice....on the whole though it has improved considerably from what it was...

....the fact remains that 20lb increase in effectively 20 weeks is a worrying prospect and if this continues at the same rate then it will not be good..current weight has now topped 20 stone so weight loss is now a must...

.hoping that the decision to drop the gliclazide and introduce the forxiga is the right one and that weight starts to move in the other direction...

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@servewithmintsauce ...I think he did have the indapamide at one point but had a strange reaction to it within a few days of starting on it....including quite vivid hallucinations and ending up in hospital....cannot be convinced it was the medication but is now one that I would suggest he avoids as don't want a repeat episode.....was all very odd and was perhaps more worrying for me being the person on the outside looking in....

Ahhh ok :) I only ask because I know plenty of people who have listed about 5 things they're on for the same condition yet when I mention 1 drug (often first-line therapies according to NICE) they just look surprised and come back a week or so later like, "yeah I'm on ________ now and it's working really well". Sometimes docs don't keep up to date with guidelines, or they forget something, so I always make sure I know the guidelines for conditions I have :p

I have heard that indapamide can do some strange stuff though haha but hallucinations..that's bad!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mollie, High Levels of insulin cause your body to go into fat storage mode. This isn't your partners exercise level. He will need to reduce his food intake to stop the weight increase and that will then allow for less insulin.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi
Not an expert here but I just wondered what else you have tried for his BP? My mum is hypertensive but she's ok on indapamide..not a criticism and I don't know your story and I know that not everyone is the same but I was just interested as to why he is on 4 meds for BP? :p
Well, I am on Nifedepine(30mg), Irbesartan(75mg), Bisoprolol (1.25mg)& Doxazozin (4mg)and despite severe periodic drops in BP the HCPs refuse to look at my meds:wideyed:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taking 4 BP meds together for a while too. My GP said they like to give a small dose of 3 or 4 different drugs rather than a large dose of one particular drug, because then there is less risk of side effects.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mollie, High Levels of insulin cause your body to go into fat storage mode. This isn't your partners exercise level. He will need to reduce his food intake to stop the weight increase and that will then allow for less insulin.
@Andrew Colvin .....that's interesting to know...so does that mean that if he is having more insulin than his body can use for the food that he consumes then the fat storage mode kicks in...

Just to complete the picture in terms of medication cocktail he is currently on Novamix 30 taking 28 units with his lunchtime meal (he doesn't get up till late or have breakfast) and another 28 units with his evening meal at about 6pm......his other diabetic medication is now Metformin 2000mg and Forxiga 10mg (started yesterday)...the gliclazide has been dropped now he is starting Forxiga...
...he changed to Novamix 30 from Humulin 1 towards the end of April and has been on the same dose of 28 units since 21st May...he has recently (probably since beginning of June or could be before) been eating less and trying to 'diet'..he will just have salad for tea with whatever meat or fish I am cooking....he has not had any potatoes for some weeks...
....in terms of carbs he will have a bowl of porridge (some evenings but not all) and will also eat a small yoghurt or a banana but is certainly not eating to excess...

So just to recap on your comment....could it be that he is not now eating enough to utilise the amount of insulin that he is taking....and that the excess insulin is causing his body to go into fat storage mode...
...I knew that your body can go into starvation mode if you don't eat enough for what you need and that basically it will store as fat for a later date...am guessing this is the same....my partner often just says 'I will just not eat' thinking this is a way of losing weight ...I have tried to explain that this is not a good idea and reasons why but is difficult as he won't see it that way...

So the fact is that he has reduced his food intake but I can't see that it will be suggested by anyone that the amount of insulin he is taking is now too much and that it will ever be reduced from its current level....I possibly mistakenly thought that given his body weight the insulin would be insufficient ....this is just getting so confusing....feel like I started juggling with three balls and now have ten!!

Just one final point to throw in the mix....could the timing of the insulin be an issue....based on his routine there is sometimes less than 6 hours between the two doses meaning that he has an overlap plus also a gap rather than two evenly spaced ones....how much will this matter or affect the outcome...

Any further thoughts on this will be welcomed......am just so confused....

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think the short answer is no. He needs the high insulin levels because his cells are ignoring the glucose until they are overdosed. Unfortunately fat cells aren't insulin resistant so they are sucking it in. If he works his muscles just by walking this will help to make them utilise the BG and insulin. It is all a viscous cycle which has to be broken. Going low carb and calorie deficient worked for me although I didn't get onto the cocktail your partner is on.

Reactions: 2 people

Philkay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given Gliclazide instead of Meformin and I gained almost 20 lbs. was told to lose weight and tried but having researched Gliclazide. I understand it will not let you lose weight even with vast exercise and diet control. I became very upset that lots of exercise and strict diet saw no lost lbs - I stopped taking the Gliclazide and Forxiga and in 8 weeks I've lost 20 lbs.

I measure my blood sugar and it is normally between 7.5 and 8.5 - Diabetic nurse advised staying off Gliclazide. I am on a slimming world diet and I have to say it works - along with brisk walking 5 nights a week for the first time in 2 years I have been able to lose weight that I was told to lose but couldn't due to the Gliclazide. Not advocating controlling type 2 with diet but I am so much better being off Gliclazide. Skin looks better - not so tired - not up lots in the night. Drinking lots of green tea to.

I'm not happy taking Forxiga, I'm confident my Doctor is rewarded financially for prescribing this drug!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given Gliclazide instead of Meformin and I gained almost 20 lbs. was told to lose weight and tried but having researched Gliclazide. I understand it will not let you lose weight even with vast exercise and diet control. I became very upset that lots of exercise and strict diet saw no lost lbs - I stopped taking the Gliclazide and Forxiga and in 8 weeks I've lost 20 lbs.

I measure my blood sugar and it is normally between 7.5 and 8.5 - Diabetic nurse advised staying off Gliclazide. I am on a slimming world diet and I have to say it works - along with brisk walking 5 nights a week for the first time in 2 years I have been able to lose weight that I was told to lose but couldn't due to the Gliclazide. Not advocating controlling type 2 with diet but I am so much better being off Gliclazide. Skin looks better - not so tired - not up lots in the night. Drinking lots of green tea to.

I'm not happy taking Forxiga, I'm confident my Doctor is rewarded financially for prescribing this drug!!

Well done on your progress Philkay.

Many members on this site have worked wonders by modifying their diets, with and without medications. Indeed, in my view, diet is the most powerful weapon we have against diabetes. Which diet an individual chooses is up to them and their research.

Regarding the Forxiga; what is it that you particularly dislike? Like any med, some people don't get along with it, but many have had great results on it.

As I'm sure you know, it facilitates your body weeing sugar out of your system, which helps reduce the amount of sugar in your blood, so it is important you keep your fluids up whilst in it - especially in warmer weather when we may perspire a bit more than usual. It is also known to aid trimming up, although like so many things, by how much is again an individual matter.

Philkay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your kind words, guidance and knowledge- its been tough - I want to try to get to a point where managing the type 2 is easy.

I didnt eat excessively before stopping the Gliclizade. I cannot understand how the Nurse said I need to lose weight when giving me something that for many adds weight - Is this right? I thought medication was supposed to help us nit put us in a place where strokes and heart attacks are more likely!!!

I have to agree with you that diet is the most powerful weapon - I find Slimming World is OK - look I don't smoke, or drink so food has to be something enjoyable and SW definitely is a good plan to be on - plenty of variety and not mundane!

Now. I'm not sure about the Forxiga; Is that any benefit? Does that add weight? I was on Victoza - lost a stone in a month and had to force myself to eat - BUT - after 5 weeks I had the appetite of 6 men and was eating for England! It was at that time I was prescribed the Forxiga - I am happy to take what is of benefit but not what might add weight.

Well - if it does aid slimming then I will take my 20 mg [one tablet] daily. I do drink lots and and stay hydrated. I have dieted now for 8 weeks and am down 21 lbs, the difficult part is keeping it off!! I am measuring sugars every morning and I'm around 7.5 most days - is that bad?